Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

03 ford mondeo zetec autobox problems

Search this Thread

Old 17-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Alpen
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 ford mondeo zetec autobox problems

Hello all, I have a problem with my car.... Reversed it out of driveway fine and then when I changed to drive, it slowed right down until it finally stopped. It worked in 2nd (to get it back into driveway)... Can anyone help me please...Thank you
Old 17-03-2010, 07:22 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing to do is check the oil level, as if not enough when hot the torque convertor gets filled, but leaves so little to operate the clutches to allow power transmission, could just be needing a bit of fluid, be VERY careful what type you put in as I think it is these that have a very peculiar ATF, and normal atf will kill it stone dead, look in handbook or phone auto trans place, if no joy with this try to nurse it to a trans place, where they'll drive it then have a much better idea of what's wrong, could be a clutch seal could be anything even the clutch drums have been known to break the fingers, but was pretty much fixed I thought on this age.
tabetha
Old 17-03-2010, 07:28 PM
jonny s2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these auto boxes have loadsa problems
Old 17-03-2010, 07:45 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

They certainly can be troublesome, most probs are due to fords shit design, in other cars that use the same box they have a draughted air design to help cool, but not in the uk.
best thing you can do even on a boggo std one is air trans fluid cooler, they are easy to fit and can be very cheap I use ones from a us car spares supplier, it's std fit on a winnibego rv of nearly 3 1/2 tons weight, same size almost as std rad, but even after long run you can touch the box as only very warm as opposed to 3rd degree burn hot!!
tabetha
Old 18-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Alpen
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Tabetha, will try this and let you know how I get on...fingers crossed and thank you again
Old 18-03-2010, 06:52 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The wynns power steering stop leak stuff can work wonders in auto boxes with pressure problems, it swells the seals slightly fixed many a car for years with this stuff, might need to do it every 3-4 years but only £9!!
tabetha