Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Mk6 Fiesta ZS TDCi rattling / vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 07:25 PM
BlairM
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk6 Fiesta ZS TDCi rattling / vibration

Been bugging me for a while this and no amount of looking under the car or under the bonnet seems to make it obvious to me what is wrong.

I have a vibration / rattling sound that sounds a bit like the exhaust blowing coming from the engine bay somewhere. When I put the car in reverse and just at the point the clutch bites it rattles a lot more. It sounds like a metal guard plate rattling but like I said I couldn't see anything loose when I was under car recently.

On the move it makes a noise as well, but just sitting parked up in neutral if I rev the engine up to driving speed it doesn't.

Any thoughts what this could be, or if I need to explain more just say. :0
Old 07-03-2010, 07:54 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See if the end of one of the front suspension springs is snapped, they like to do this, the snapped bit gets lodged inside the main coil and bounces up and down, I had this and a few swore as I did the noise was coming from the rear!!
tabetha
Old 07-03-2010, 09:16 PM
BlairM
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

That's one thing I hadn't thought of. Cheers tabetha will look at the springs when I get a chance.

(funnily enough my mums Mk6 Fiesta also just had a snapped front spring replaced)
Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all to do with emissions!!
Since they lowered the amount of sulphur allowed in the mix at foundrys they became a touch more brittlem, sulphur acted as a agent to increase ductility(bendiness without snapping).
tabetha
Old 18-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Captain orange
Virgin

Originally Posted by BlairM
Been bugging me for a while this and no amount of looking under the car or under the bonnet seems to make it obvious to me what is wrong.

I have a vibration / rattling sound that sounds a bit like the exhaust blowing coming from the engine bay somewhere. When I put the car in reverse and just at the point the clutch bites it rattles a lot more. It sounds like a metal guard plate rattling but like I said I couldn't see anything loose when I was under car recently.

On the move it makes a noise as well, but just sitting parked up in neutral if I rev the engine up to driving speed it doesn't.

Any thoughts what this could be, or if I need to explain more just say. :0
Hi did you manage to solve this problem?

Mine is doing my head in!