Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

HELP- How do i adjust Idle Speed on FRS

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Irish aRSe
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP- How do i adjust Idle Speed on FRS

Lads,
Can anyone please tell me where is the idle speed control valve on a Mk1 FRS and also how do i adjust it????
Is it the small screw just above the throttle cable on the inlet manifold?If so how do i adjust this?Is it an allen key head for adjusting it as it does not look like anything will fit in there. Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:01 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know 100% but would be very surprised if it wasn't ecu controlled, ie you can't adjust it.
tabetha
Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Irish aRSe

There is a small screw for adjusting the throttle stop position near the accelerator cable bracket. i was going to adjust this down slightly to bring the revs up by around 100rpm.

the reason i'm doing all this is because i installed a turbo Timer and after cutting into the ignition wire, accessory and 12V constant i used block connectors and on low idle (warm) if i give it a little rev the revs go up and when they drop back down it cuts out sometimes.

Bloody TT i should not have bothered putting it in!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 04:39 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

TT are not needed, I always drive the easy for the last 1/2 mile.
The screw you describe is a throttle setting screw, it won't affect the idle as it has a air bypass system, where the idle speed control valve uses.
I'd be tempted to look elsewhere like air leak etc causing a bit of leaness first.
tabetha
Old 06-03-2010, 05:02 PM
phil hay

idle control valve may need replacing
Old 06-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Irish aRSe

I had no problem before i put in the turbo timer with idle speed control so i'm assuming that cutting into the ignition wires has affected this. As i said the car seems to idle fine when warm also but as soon as i rev it a little when the revs drop back down it either cuts out or sometimes it can recover and bring the revs back up to normal.

Would cutting the wires have affected this?
I connected in a fairly thick gauge wire to connect to the turbo timer should i use a thinner wire???Just wondering would this be drawing off the circuit?Thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

tt could well be upsetting the ecu, if ok with disconnected leave it off.
tabetha

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Irish aRSe

I turned off the TT and the same thing happened, although i did not disconnect it from the iginition wires.
I'll take the whole thing apart again and return the original wiring and hopefully it all works again.
If not i'm up sh** creek without a paddle!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Irish aRSe

Disconnected the TT completely and it seems ok. Just in case though i'm gonna take off the ISCV and give it a clean. Where is it located?What does it look like?What tools do i need to remove it and how difficult is it to remove?thanks lads.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Irish aRSe

Ok lads car is cutting out when the engine is warm. As i said TT is disconnected. I heard somewhere that the Idle Speed Control valve only operates when the engine is cold so this should not be the cause????Is this correct??

If its not ISCV what else could it be???

i have restored the original wiring using block connectors so it should be ok but could a poor connection also cause this?thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 03:46 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Older cars this is true a base idle setting is present and the ISCV raises the idle speed above this when needed, I.E cold starts, high electrical load etc. However on modern cars the ISCV controls the idle from cold to running temp.

As said TT's are pointless if you know how to drive a turbo car and follow proper warm up/cool down procedures there is no problem. I always drive gentle for the last mile or so as to allow the turbo to cool down, this is all a TT does just keeps the engine idling.

ISCV is normally mounted near throttle body or in the inlet track, on other Foci's (Silver in colour) it's at the front and has a black electrical plug held in with two bolts.

Martin