Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Damaged saph cossy 4x4 wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:16 PM
sa mark1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged saph cossy 4x4 wiring

The motor I bought was stripped out of a 1990 Saphire RS 4x4. The problem is that the heavy handed lout who did it managed to yank of the wires from the plugs of the map sensor and the idle control valve.

The map sensor has 3 wires. Brown & yellow, brown & green, brown. Under the rubber sheathing of the plug there are 3 positions....1 2 3....which goes where?

Idle control valve has 2 wires. Brown & yellow, black and yellow. 2 positions on the plug.....1 & 2.

Please guys any responses will be appreciated.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The idle speed valve can go either way, on the map sensor 1 is to position A on the map sensor, 2 is to B, 3 is to C.
Holding the map sensor in front of you, upside down to how it would be on the car, you will have the conenction pins in the terminal pointing towards you, holding it so that the connections are nearest to you, and the single mounting hole lug is pointing away straight in front of you, the pins are labeled A/B/C from left to right, or 1/2/3.
Beware though as many aftermarket mini timer plugs(connectors) can have thier positions reversed, yes I know helpful isn't it!!
Now having identified the connections on the map sensor, pin A is the +5 volt refference feed from the ecu, pin B is GND(earth) pin C is signal return to ecu.
With this you can probe the wires for +5 volt, and do a resistance test to earth to determine the earth wire, the remaining one must therefore be the signal return.
If yopu pm me your email addy I'll mail you a wiring diagram and prinout out the map sensor details, inc connections.
tabetha
Old 05-03-2010, 11:05 AM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The ISCV may have a picture of a diode on it like the one shown above. In this case the polarity of the connections to it are very important to prevent a short circuit, as reversing the connection will cause the ecu to directly connect ground to +12v through the forward conducting diode.

See: http://www.bigturbo.co.uk/main6.htm
Old 05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I didn't know that, as would never use a weber ecu myself, but of course if they do as you say(have a diode) they will as you say need to be correct.
These feed the pulsed earth from ecu pin 34, I think, must admit I have never seen one with a diode symbol, not that I use one anyway, mine perfect without it.
Good point out there, thanks, might have saved him some damage, sorry about that.
tabetha
Old 05-03-2010, 08:02 PM
sa mark1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big up for the help guys.
@Tabetha: I'm not going to be able to test the wiring as the motor is not in as yet. I see that brown and yellow is common on both components, could this be earth?......Waiting patiently for any other advice and the wiring diagram..My email
slikvik@vodamail.co.za

@oldford: Thanks for the heads up. Getting another ecu in this part of the world is gonna be abit difficult.

My 4x4 motor reconned, converted to 2wd and ready for action in me mk1

Last edited by sa mark1; 05-03-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Hi Mark,
Just a word of warning, the map sensor will fail where that is, it needs to be inverted, ie the connections for the multi plug and vac pipe MUST be facing straight down, the vac pipe also must have a drop in it, so the lowest point is lower than the sensor, to stop fuel vapours killing the diaphragm inside it.
I'll send emails today sometime, but feel free to pm and nudge me if I forget, as my memory is hopeless!!
tabetha