Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

cosworth over-run smoke!..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
richbogle
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cosworth over-run smoke!..

i think im gona cry will a cosworth overfueling make it smoke right bad on overrun? i mean bad! full bottom end rebuild and still does it. down hill in gear ok,but as soon as i re-apply throttle its like a steam train then just clears up.perfect through the rev range.i put a post up last week and got some feed back and thanx 4 that. people say its deffo my valve guides and other people say it wont b! not even sure wot color smoke is its hard to tell,its kinda blue\grey. iv put genuine valve seals on and had turbo dun. i just dont know wot to do!!! will fueling coz this? will i just take head off and get guides done? or will i get it set up 1st? its starting to ruin the enjoyment of having it.i think bout it every day...
Old 03-03-2010, 02:35 PM
danb21t
PassionFord Regular

I have a very similar thing happening on my corsa, LOL I know not a cossie. only after being on over run down hill reapply throttle and loads of blue smoke.. then it clears until next down hill adventure.
I rebuilt the engine and did the valve stem seals etc so I thought it was EGR but blocked that off completely and still happening...

blow by maybe
Old 03-03-2010, 02:36 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Breathers arn't blocked are they?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

have you checked your turbo?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Olivera

My car has exactly the same problem. Consensus seems to be its valve stem seals, valve guides or the turbo. I had new valve stem seals fitted and I'm just about to have the turbo rebuilt. So if its still the same after that I'm going to have to look at the valve guides I guess.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 PM
richbogle
Regular Contributor

snap olivera!! iv had turbo dun by cr turbos and then sent back to b tested again! i put genuine ford oil seals in not long ago. depresing by the way breathers seem ok.its got breather system on coz its stage 3.i just dnk know wot to do next. dont want to start ripping the head off again being unsure wot the cause is
Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 PM
nellyscossy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i have had this problem in the past, i would go flat out, shut off for a couple of seconds , the minute i press the gas, whoosh, a big blue smoke cloud, made the car look a right banger,
i put a new hybrid turbo on it and it cut the amount of smoking by about two thirds. but still did it a bit..the engine in question is now in bits having a full rebuild, be interesting to know what causes it
Old 03-03-2010, 08:30 PM
mattman1234
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Take the inlet manifold off,and see or feel if there is oil on the valve stems,quite offen the trumpets will be covered in a film of oil
Old 04-03-2010, 12:55 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

I replied to your other post and it is without doubt valve guides as said the vacuum created when downhill etc pulls the oil past the worn guide and into the cylinder, when you reapply throttle the oil is burnt and then sent out the exhaust hence it is BLUE smoke, those saying otherwise obviously don't know these engine as guides are a notorious weak point, life can be as short as 20,000 miles on tuned engines, there are aftermarket ones such as COLSHIBO which was stated in your other thread they are much better than stock.

To Danb21t on your car this is more likely to be the stem seals worn, EGR won't effect some do away with it completely.

Martin
Old 04-03-2010, 03:47 PM
richbogle
Regular Contributor

thanx guys for ur input. the heads cumn off 2moro nite! again lol. realy hope it solves it. al b loving it if is
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 PM
richbogle
Regular Contributor

heads off! oft,without even removing cams,i can feel alot of play in the valves which are still open!! looks like there shagged! heads getn dropd off at engineers tomoro. cant wait to c the results thank to the main men 4 there input.u know who u are,il keep u posted. stroll on summer....
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
danb21t
PassionFord Regular

Hmmm cheers martin, I can't believe it would be steam seals as they are only 1k old at most

nevermind car only cost £95 lol
Old 21-03-2010, 07:45 AM
sponghead

I had exactly the same problem. My mate was following me and he thought i'd blown up. For me, putting a new turbo on cured it. The seals had gone and oil pooled in the turbo, when you hit the throttle the extra pressure must have pushed it all out through the exhaust.

You said you had the "turbo dun", what do you mean exactly? Was yours reconn'd or did you put a new one on? Either way it may still have the issue if you had it reconned at a less than reputable place or they might have missed something legitimately. but it must still be under waranty.

Good luck mate.
Old 21-03-2010, 09:07 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The colour needs noting, ie if whitish it is exhaust side of turbo leaking into exhaust, if blue it has been burnt, so you're looking at rings or guides, if the boost pipe is oil free from the turbo to inlet.
Glad at least one person is listening, they know who they are.
tabetha