Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

2wd TPS readings

Search this Thread

Old 24-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2wd TPS readings

Right going on someone elses thread about tps readings thought i'd check mine, was told to use pins 1 and 17 to get the readings but wasnt getting anything at all just open circuit so was a bit stumped till i remembered i had a workshop manual in the cupboard
Read that and doesnt say use pins 30/17/11

With multimeter set to 2k ohms i got:

with it on pins 30 and 17 (what the manual says to use)

open circuit with no throttle applied
touching throttle slightly .95
roughly half throttle .225
full throttle .410

on pins 11 and 30

compelete sensor track resistance of .480

Are those about right?! and also was setting it on 2k ohms the right one to use?!

Trying to work out why i was getting a slight hesistation when i was pulling away/touching throttle after changing gear, was only slight but enough to be annoying. Unfortunatly i changed the old tps without testing it first for another one so these are the readings for the one on there now!!!
Oddly for the first time in over 1k running in miles it also started to run on 3 cylinders cleaned the plugs up and seems to run on 4 again so hoping it was just a miss hap, will take it out fro a drive again when the rains stops coming down lol.

Cheers

Tony
Old 25-02-2010, 05:39 PM
dom123
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you have the ignition on when you checked between pin 1 and 17??

where are you from mate?? i'm worthing!! ive never seen you driving around??

cheers dom
Old 25-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no mate was told to do it with ignition off plus thats what the cossie workshop manual says to do with a 2wd, dont forget urs is a pf09 not pf01 thats in the 2wds!!!

Originally from brighton but lived worthing way about 3yrs odd now, you havnt seen me driving about as my saph has spent most of that time sitting on my parents drive finished a rebuild just before xmas and only just finished running it in so got the little niggles to sort out now!!
Old 27-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

anyone?!
Old 27-02-2010, 10:37 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if this is any help, but when I had my L6 in me 2wd sapphy I had the exact same problem a fluffy spot just above idle when driving, very rarely it was 100% clean but mostly hesitant when trickling through traffic.
I measured my tps with ignition ON, done all the tests, done the sweep as slowly as possible, could not detect a duff section anywhere, got annoyed after 45 mins or so of trying, it seemed to be totally linear, so adjusted the tps all one way and went for a drive, position of hesitancy had moved, confirming to me it was the tps at fault, I can only surmise that it is due to the very low current passed by the digi metre that it couldn't be picked up.
All back together thought no more of it, though the fluffy spot reared it's ugly head when I went to emerald K3, it was a dead as a dodo spot, couldn't even drive through it with zero load on the rollers, it was chronic, fitted one of daves(Ł20) universal tps aligned with ecu, 2 minute job, to dial it in, then was mapped perfectly.
It just goes to show the L6 was shoving so much fuel in it was effectively masking the issue, this would later be born out by economy afterwards, curiously the problem on the L6 wasn't apparent on the rollers as a particular problem.
If you have a new one I would just try that, all I do is fit the tps, leaving a few mm gap so it is not fully home, rotate it a bit let it spring back tighten down.
The tps inside has a low setting contact, adjusted by allen screw so should read a minimum anyway, that's how I did mine, was always near enough.
tabetha
Old 27-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what were the ones u said to use?! havnt got a new one yet the one i used was a spare 2nd hand one i had lying about. im gonna try changing the plugs from the cham 701s just to see if that makes any difference at all, doubtful but ive got a set of NGK iridium 9s kicking about so worth a try, what were the TPS's u said to buy again~?!
Old 27-02-2010, 07:06 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pm sent
tabetha