Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

focus recalibration PCM cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Barrett
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default focus recalibration PCM cost?

Focus 2001 zetec, poor acceleration after changing gear, if you pull foot back it engages and apart from that runs well. Changed fule filter and no difference. Have been told it could be throttle centre? or I need PCM recalibrated? anyone know how much recalibration costs in southeast England (roughly) ?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:32 PM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

First get the fault codes read. When present, repair these (or have them repaired).
Then have the throttle pot signal checked by the dealer or reputable independent.
Recalibrating is not needed EVER, unless something spiked the ecu, like electric welding, a defective alternator or a poorly performed start-help. But then you would need an new ecu is most cases.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:47 PM
AndyST
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Far from it, recalibrations are brought out regularly for all later Fords to address running/starting issues etc, '03 diesel Mondeo was a particularly successful one.
As said, I would get any codes that are stored investigated first.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:15 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said updates are very common, and not always a improvement either.
The w*****s updated the ecu on mine when did the master key, and deleted old ones on my mk1 mondy, he said it does it automatically as soon as connected to system, was driving like bag of poo afterwards, so I kicked up big time and refused the car back, they do seem to be able to access prior databses however once restored it was ace again.
tabetha
Old 13-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Barrett
Virgin

Many thanks for posts. I took advice - asked for codes to be checked, it turned out to be the clutch. Wasn't hard to get in gear and only symptom was the delay in acceleration, but this was in fact (I think) a delay in the clutch engaging hence no reponse. As car was due the cam belt change did both - big hole in my pocket - but now drives like a dream. Thanks again for advice.