Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traction Control

Anybody got racelogic traction control on there car im thinking bout fitting it to my 2wd sapp. Is the launch control any good?. Just wondered how good it is?

opinons please

Old 11-03-2004, 11:51 PM
PJay
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traction control is a waste of time and is fitted to every drivers right foot as standard, launch control CAN be good if set up correctly
Old 12-03-2004, 06:46 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Y do u say its a waste of time mate surelly this gizmo can let anybody drive a cos to its full potential. Does it slow the car down? i like the idea of dropping the clutch and going off in a straight line for a change.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:58 PM
PJay
Virgin

Y do u say its a waste of time mate surelly this gizmo can let anybody drive a cos to its full potential.
It has been proven that a car is quicker round a track WITHOUT traction control that with, it will make the car safer but no faster

i like the idea of dropping the clutch and going off in a straight line for a change.
Mine always used to go in a straight line might want to have your tracking checked

At the end of the day no electrical gadget will replace what a driver lacks in skill, the can keep you out of the shit but won't make you any faster
Old 13-03-2004, 04:21 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Well i will have to see what its like when i get it back all it seems to do is go down the road sideways its fun but not practical, Cheers for the info.

Old 13-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Hi mate a pal of mine had it fitted to his 450bhp+ cossie its awesome it wees over 4x4s off the mark and u can hang the rearend as long as you like without getting into trouble (most of the time)
Old 14-03-2004, 09:23 AM
swerv
PassionFord Post Troll

agree with paul , traction control is toss!!

if you need a computer to control your driving go and buy a skyline!!
Old 14-03-2004, 12:58 PM
PJay
Virgin

Originally Posted by swerv
agree with paul , traction control is toss!!

if you need a computer to control your driving go and buy a skyline!!

Personally before investing in traction control i would spend my money on Decent tyres & suspension, no amount of electrics are going to improve traction on a badly setup/handling car it will just limit the power to what traction is available, defeats the object really
Old 14-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Anonymous
Banned

I alraedy have a good brake plus suspension setup i want to beable to beat skylines all day ever day even say if im half asleep
Old 14-03-2004, 11:23 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

at the risk of getting shot down here -.... paul/swerv, have YOU actually tried the latest Racelogic system firsthand??
whilst technically it's probably true to say that electronics is no substitute for good driving.. in practical everyday terms, the latest racelogic system does work very well IMO.. i fitted one recently to a stg3 rwd sapph, and straight out of the box it does appear to behave as advertised. The roads were damp, and depending on the slip setting selected on the switch, you could get it to behave exactly to your liking, with controlled amount of tail-out if that's your bag.
With it switched off, the 330 rwd sapph behaved just as you'd expect on a damp road..
Old 14-03-2004, 11:29 PM
PJay
Virgin

richm, Your not gonna get shot down matey, i have driven a car with racelogic traction control, and while the system is very good as i have stated above it will make the car no faster, however the saftey factor does make it a good idea if you push it in less than ideal conditions
Old 15-03-2004, 06:36 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by .:Paul:.
richm, Your not gonna get shot down matey, i have driven a car with racelogic traction control, and while the system is very good as i have stated above it will make the car no faster, however the saftey factor does make it a good idea if you push it in less than ideal conditions
quite true Paul... as i said - electronics is no substitute for good driving - and indeed all the time the control is active it is reducing power output
However, for the less than perfect driver, it can help to make them faster within their own context. Of course it can't 'improve' the ultimate traction that the setup has, but in the wrong conditions (grip and/or driver ability in the circumstance) it can help to make the most of it.
Very similar to ABS in that respect - won't make the car stop any quicker, as all the system can do is hold the brakes OFF..

What the traction system 'allows', if that is the right term, is the potential to drive less than perfectly but still maintain good progress. The system itself isn't "toss", although in some eyes the principle of the requirement may be
Old 15-03-2004, 10:14 AM
swerv
PassionFord Post Troll

ok then , if the driver of a cossie isnt confident enough to drive fast then i wouldnt want them on the road with an electronic device to make them go faster than they are capable of controlling!!

imo , you get a buzz when driving a rwd car on the limit , especially with a cossie because YOU are driving it.

instead of fitting traction control , take the time to learn how to drive properly(take pro lessons if you have to) please dont ruin what you have
Old 15-03-2004, 10:21 AM
PJay
Virgin

What the traction system 'allows', if that is the right term, is the potential to drive less than perfectly but still maintain good progress.
Sounds like a sales pitch lol, sounds like we agree but just continue to use a play of words
Old 15-03-2004, 11:08 AM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

we do agree paul - i am merely offering an opinion based on experience, in response to the original question, that the system does what it says on the box. I don't believe it should say 'it will make your car go faster'... if it does, then it shouldn't

ps. i have nowt to do with Racelogic, nor sell them, nor would I buy one.. (no -need, girlie 4wd )
Old 15-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Anonymous
Banned

well ive had a cos for 5 years now and i know how to drive it i just wanted opinons on this new gizmo. cheers for everones info. were have to see how it performs at the pod with and without.
Old 15-03-2004, 09:21 PM
AustenW
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your looking for traction control you might as well buy a new management system with it all built in.

Autronic and MBE have the facility for boost control, traction control, Anti Lag, launch control, (MBE has 8 different settings for launch) which I have on mine.

Launch control is well worth it but takes alot to setup properly.

You will also benefit from having a super controlable system for arround £1000 plus mapping of course.
Old 15-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Hi

Can deffo say that Racelogic TC dont work if you want it to make your car go quicker. It will stop fish tailing in the wet at the expence of it making your engine sound as if its f**ked. I took mine off after about six months waiting for it to perform miracles. Mark Shead had a Technical Term for it " Totally Shite".
However its part of the Autronics ECU package on my new engine so will probably have another fiddle.
Rod
Old 15-03-2004, 10:17 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Rod, by the time it's making the engine sound that bad, it's into heavy cut - in the wet with decent power i guess that's inevitable... I dunno if the latest system is better in some way than earlier ones, but i was 'pleasantly surprised' by how it behaved.. I certainly wouldn't have put it close to the 'totally shite' bracket.. As to whether it's worthwhile, or good value etc. I don't really care, cos it wasn't mine.. it's just face-value observations..

Right i'm gonna shut up now- sounds like i'm trying to sell the fooker...
Old 28-08-2009, 07:52 PM
pauljh
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Default Racelogic traction control

I run the RL traction control system, agreed it takes quite a bit of setting up. I have not found the launch function that effective as launch revs and all the other variables you have to configure vary too much on the road surface and the temperature of your tyres etc.
However, full throttle gear changes were very effective and very smoothe but brutal on the clutch.
The traction control part is fantastic, i never turn it off on the road, i only adjust it from wet/dry 5 to 20% slip depending on conditions and how brave i feel. I have however over 600 bhp of YB GT35R power in a car that weighs only 780 kg wet.
I would have killed myself many times over without it!

Re launching, now use 1 bar ALS at 6000 rpm and slip the clutch, traction control turned off via a momentary switch on my steering wheel, i let go when i change in to second gear at about 60 mph.
Old 29-08-2009, 09:57 PM
pauljh
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Thumbs up Traction control

P.S, The £275,000 Gumpert Apollo also uses the Racelogic traction control system, it cant be that bad!