Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Help please smax in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 16-12-2009, 07:28 PM
smax ireland
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please smax in trouble

I bought a second hand smax about two months ago and last Saturday I drove from my home around thirty miles and parked in a city centre car park. When I came back to the car I started it up and there was a noise coming from the engine( sounded like a frayed belt hitting off a cover). I turned off the car and checked fan belt- all ok. I drove about two miles and I stopped at a junction. When I went to take off the car stalled and would not restart. It would turn over only a small amount and then seemed to lock up. I thought the timing belt had broken and I had the car towed back to the garage I bought it in. After a full week they now tell me they found water in the intercooler pipe on the car and they believe I drove through a flood. At no stage did I drive through any flood!!! I went into the garage and have inspected the car myself. One cylinder is down on compression and all others are ok. Air filter is bone dry and there are no signs of water. The other intercooler pipe was still connected and I removed this and there is no signs of water. The garage has told me I should claim of my insurance for flood damage but I did not drive through any standing water. If the engine is water damaged - how did it happen without going through the air filter? It was raining so therefore does this mean I can not drive in the rain??????? I have worked on cars, vans and lorries and I do understand how engines work but I am completely baffled as I was driving the car myself and I know better than to drive through standing water. Also how come damage to one cylinder only????

Last edited by smax ireland; 16-12-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 16-12-2009, 07:35 PM
dan-dan
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

could it be head gasket failure? is the coolant ok?
Old 16-12-2009, 07:38 PM
smax ireland
Virgin

An assesor is coming tomorow to check everything. But coolant levels do seem ok. I have asked the assesor to look at this also.