Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Milky Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 14-12-2004, 08:02 PM
tosh
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Milky Power Steering Fluid

Can any one help?

After fitting a 4x4 bonnet to my 2 wheel drive sapph coz, I found that water was getting into the power steering fluid reservior turning it milky. I am presuming that is because it is directly under the bonnet vent. Does anyone know if the 4x4 had a different power steering bottle or cap, or has any body had the same problem. Also need to know the best way to flush out all of the moisture from the system because I have been told that if I don't get rid of every drop of water it will just turn milky again.
Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 14-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Moonie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know anythin about the differences in cap however, the way i flush power steering fluid is to pull the return hose off the reservoir (will run up from the rack). Put the end of the return hose into a container, top up the reservoir and leave the cap off. Get someone to start the engine, the fluid will start pumping out of the return hose, at the same time start adding new power steerind fluid into the reservoir. Turn off the engine when clear/uncontaminated fluid flows from the return hose into the container (dont let the level drop too low in the reservoir as it will allow air into the system). Reconnect the return hose top up the level and check for leaks.

Old 16-12-2004, 07:47 PM
tosh

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I will give it a go when we get a dry day! " supose i should have spent the engine rebuild money on building my garage instead" so you can see what takes priority in my household. As for the reservior & cap someone told me he thinks that the 4x4 was fitted with a screw on cap which didnot have the breather hole in the top, don know how true that is though.