Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

traction control fault on my vw!

Search this Thread

Old 18-05-2009, 01:41 PM
cossieprob
550+ LUV IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction control fault on my vw!

Are there any people who work for vw, i got a gt tdi 130 that im selling and the traction control light comes on after a little bit of driven, but doesn't turn off until i turn the car off.Then its ok for a bit then comes back on, anybody had this problem before. help! I have a buyer but he is a bit put off by this.
Old 18-05-2009, 07:57 PM
JonathanJ
PassionFord Regular

First thing I would check is the sensors , as it uses the ABS wheel speed sensors inputs to work out if there is any wheel spin , but on most sytems it uses several different inputs to completely "understand" what is going on .

Tyre pressures , tyre make ( as in manufacturers dimensional differences ) and tread wear can all have an effect on if the ECU sees something it deems to be out of specification and so puts light on to show system is inactive , have a look and see if worn tyres on front and worn on front can cause havoc as it sees the front wheels going faster then the rears even in normal driving , from experience the Focus ST had terrible issues with this as several systems used the same sensors , but as it could not work out wheel speeds it kept throwing lights on for fun , and the tyres were only different by about 3mm in tread depth .

Just my of the top of the head thoughts
Old 18-05-2009, 08:03 PM
cossieprob
550+ LUV IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for the info, but i have found the problem a broken wire on a multi plug on the top of the gear box, so fixed it and the light only comes on when i turn the traction button off