Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Brake pad trimming, please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:35 PM
tothefloor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad trimming, please help

Im looking for a little bit of help,

Does anybody know if it would be ok to trim some of the pad down to fit a smaller disk?

to explain, the brake pad braking surface from the inner to the outer diameter is approx. 60mm, the disc in question is only 55mm, so there would be 5mm of over-hang of the pad over the outside diameter of the disc.

So, would it be safe to simply trim the 5mm excess off the pad?

If you can understand that, please reply as its nearly complete and before i finish the machining i would like to know it would be safe?

Thanks in advance

Craig
Old 13-05-2009, 06:29 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Done it a few times, better thanleaving overhang on.
I did it with a dremmel and diamond disc cutter, didn't take long, but I've also ground out inner edges of pads on my bench grinder to suit cossie conversions on std sierras with bells as otherwise they catch the bells with the inner edge of the outside pads.
tabetha
Old 13-05-2009, 11:55 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Just out of interest what set up you using?

Years ago i got a caprisport kit using 283mm cossie discs and mondeo calipers(cos it was easy and cheap)

But cheap turned out the be the problem as once assembled i had approx 6mm of pad overlap(shit design and enginering!!!!)

So being an engineer by trade but not in it anymoreotherwise i could have knocked up all parts required for a better conversion,I done some drawings of parts and had them remade to my spec which ment the caliper carriers had to be machined to fit more onto the disc.
Only done this due to the fact i wanted more pad to disc but as said by tabetha its safe to do so which i've done in the past on the princess 4 pot conversion using std capri vented discs,Then rally design started to do there own grp 1 257mm vented disc which then sorted the problem

Paul
Old 13-05-2009, 03:58 PM
tothefloor

they are porsche 911 carrera calipers off the 3.4 litre, and using 308mm discs.

i will give it a go trimming them down, but the other alternative is to use some 345mm discs and manufacture some more components to space them out even further to suite the extra diameter of the disc!

would it be possible to contact EBC or mintex to see if they are willing to make some slightly smaller pads by adjusting some numbers in the cnc programs? is this a possibility?
Old 13-05-2009, 04:35 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Originally Posted by tothefloor

i will give it a go trimming them down, but the other alternative is to use some 345mm discs and manufacture some more components to space them out even further to suite the extra diameter of the disc!

would it be possible to contact EBC or mintex to see if they are willing to make some slightly smaller pads by adjusting some numbers in the cnc programs? is this a possibility?
Sounds easy but if they did you would have to buy loads

What discs are you using?and what thickness?

Paul
Old 13-05-2009, 06:26 PM
tothefloor

they are astra mk4 GSI discs at the moment but the 345mm are vectra vxr and as far as im aware they are about 32mm thick
Old 13-05-2009, 08:00 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

I would go the bigger disc option and get it right

Paul

Trending Topics

Old 14-05-2009, 03:38 AM
Emmanuel
Virgin

Alright guys. I'm in need of a High Performance brake pad with the best stopping power, least amount of dust, least amount of noise, and highest mileage. Basically the most perfect brake pad you've ever used. Brands and materials are good! __________________
(>'')> Kirby-CHOP!

R.I.P.
1996 Laser Red V6
Vortech S-trim 9 psi
T-lok 3.73, Steeda Tri-ax shifter, Eibach springs, KYB shocks/struts, Steeda bumpsteer kit with X2 balljoints, Steeda clutch quadrant with adjuster, Steeda rear lower control arms (uppers coming soon) 2.5in dual exhaust with H-pipe, Borla mufflers, 3in tips.
__________________________________________________ _______________
clawfoot tub
Fixed Rate Self Certification Mortgage
Old 14-05-2009, 06:33 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tothefloor

I would not go any bigger, personally I wouldn't have gone this big on what I assume is a lightweight car ?
Don't overbrake it, but for pads I use EBC yellowstuff, ebc will not do a one off pad as just not financially viable.
You may find redstuff ceramic, better with the lighter weight as they work slightly better sooner, the problem might crop up with track pads about keeping enough heat in the brakes with a light car.
Lotus even used silicone carbide reinforced aluminium metal matrix MMA discs, which were vastly better all round(288mm size,elise) apart from one annoying habit, which was MELTING when they got too hot, up to that point worked fantastic.
Disc make is very important too, as some are now using, very little pig iron in the discs so are even better for thermal cycling.
tabetha
Old 14-05-2009, 10:45 AM
peter portugal
Virgin

Default Seen similar problem

New member but saw your post. Had similar problem on a Landrover 300tdi where wrong pads had been used seems common fault. Trimmed very easily with hand tools to prevent chances of pads meeting and reducing brake performance. Material removed max 7mm at circumference of big disc so perhaps worst case. I assumed that any change in brake efficiency would have be minimal and picked up in MOT test data. Although not as fast as you with trailer full up load 2 and half tons stopped fine, now new and correct pads fitted no perceived difference. Peter