Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Cruise control Mondeo/Focus

Search this Thread

Old 23-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Shonky
V6 Ka of Love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control Mondeo/Focus

Does anyone know if the mondeo or focus' cruise control needs a speed signal? I'm looking to retro fit cruise control to my Ka, I know a Vauxhall CC will not work without a speed signal, does the Ford CC need it? Does anyone know of a system (don't care about the manufacturer) that has a setup that does not require a speed signal and have a wiring diagram for and is freely available? (read cheap!)

Cheers
Old 23-04-2009, 06:04 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure the ford CC does need a signal, but what's the problem as you have one on your ka anyway ?
tabetha
Old 23-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Shonky
V6 Ka of Love

Originally Posted by tabetha
Pretty sure the ford CC does need a signal, but what's the problem as you have one on your ka anyway ?
tabetha
I have Vauxhall engine in the Ka, I can't get a VSS from the Vauxhall setup as it's generated with parts I couldn't use on the conversion, the Vauxhall VSS needs a speed signal too

I have an aftermarket VSS for a digi dash, I was thinking about trying that but don't want to waste the cash if someone knew of a more suitable setup
Old 24-04-2009, 05:39 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The std KA outputs a VSS via the hub, for the std ecu, so unless this has been taken off use that.
tabetha
Old 26-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Shonky
V6 Ka of Love

The std KA outputs a VSS via the hub, for the std ecu, so unless this has been taken off use that.
tabetha
I didn't have ABS on it originally, I'm assuming much like vauxhall the ABS ECU will send a signal out to the clocks and cruise control not get it directly from the wheel speed sensor so I'd have to plumb in the ABS system, I might park this for a bit, I'll finish some other bits first

Cheers
Old 26-04-2009, 04:25 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

The VSS is used in IDLE control, so is present on all KA's, it raises the idle speed if coasting, so just coast along at say 30mph in neutral and see if this causes the idel speed to stay high, around 1200/1400, if it does, then drops as you stop then you know it is getting a signal.
tabetha
Old 26-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Shonky
V6 Ka of Love

The VSS is used in IDLE control, so is present on all KA's, it raises the idle speed if coasting, so just coast along at say 30mph in neutral and see if this causes the idel speed to stay high, around 1200/1400, if it does, then drops as you stop then you know it is getting a signal.
tabetha
I have Vauxhall engine and gearbox in my ka (with an aftermarket speedo pickup) so I wont be able to test it using the idle control method unfortunately as I see it I have a few options

1) Use the Vauxhall cruise control unit (as I have the wiring pinouts) and try the aftermarket wheelspeed sensor
2) retro fit ABS on the Ka and to get a VSS for a mondeo cruise control unit
3) Get any cruise control unit and control the motor directly bypassing the need for a VSS
4) Use an aftermarket cruise control unit
5) don't bother with the cruise control!