Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Ford Ka Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Ka_Queen
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Ka Engine Problem

I have an 'R' Reg Ford Ka, which as of last night seems to have developed what could potentially be a major and expensive problem. On starting the car it vibrates and sounds very loud. I seem to have a large amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust when driving, she judders in the lower gears but seems to be quite happy if a little loud at about 60-70mph. I have checked the oil filler cap and there doesn't sem to be any 'mayo' or sludge although there is a crust of oil on the rocker cover and one of the spark plugs/leads is damaged. Can anyone help as I am taking it to a garage but as a single woman I don't want my eyes ripped out

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-03-2009, 05:52 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry about smoke out of the exhaust, white smoke in cold weather is perfectly normal when cold.
What you say about the damaged ht(spark plug) leads might make it misfire, this will cause vibration, loss of performance and will kill the cat, just go to a recommended garage, sorry to say it but if worried take a man with you even if he has no clue about cars as they won't know that.
I don't think the situation is as bad as it once was though with regard to this.
tabetha
Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Ka_Queen
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tabetha.

On getting the car back from the garage they told me it was a cylinder misfire that was causing the problem. However when I checked the spark plugs and found the dodgy lead after I had wiggled it back on, she did seem to run a bit better for a short time so I am going to try changing the set of leads to see if it helps. I do have someone who said they will look under the cylinder head for me if needs be so that will probably help with costs but I am still concerned that it could be a costly fix if there is something wrong with the pistons/valves etc
Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those engines have been around since the 70's so very good a bit noisy but pretty bullet proof, be very unusual for those sort of probs on those engines.
It is also one of the easiest if not the eaiest one to work on, parts are dirt cheap too.
tabetha