Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Mondeo ST200 brake help

Search this Thread

Old 15-02-2009 | 11:53 AM
kyle_st200
PassionFord Regular

Default Mondeo ST200 brake help

Does anyone else think the brakes on their mondeo ST200 are shit? Mine fill me with no confidence when I have to brake hard. Its got brand new standard discs and pads on the front and the rears are in good condition.
Would a set of braided hoses make it stop better? Do I go for uprated fast road pads aswell or uprated discs and pads all sound ? I would love a monster 4 pot set up but cant afford to spend thousands,just dont want to end up in someones boot!! Had a look on ebay but nothing on there really so any products you know of would be appreciated.
Old 15-02-2009 | 12:27 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Put on some EBC yellowstuff pads, and some grooved discs, with braided lines, you will be stunned by the difference.
I have used all the big name brake pads, even get Ferrodo free, they are all different but I choose to buy ebc, use these on my cossie 2wd, work perfect from cold, no noise at all even with anti squeal shim on back of pad removed, little dust last a long time no fade.
I would however advise you do BOTH ends of the car so as not to unbalance brake effort front to rear.
tabetha
Old 15-02-2009 | 01:05 PM
zetecdan
Regular Contributor

you can fit mondeo mk3 calipers and carriers (from any model mk3 they are all the same) and use st170 discs on the front. its an easy conversion. it all bolts straight on, the only thing you need are some 3mm spacers to fit between the carrier and caliper to centralise the disc. its a popular upgrade on the mondeo.
i've done this to my supercharged mk2 zetec mondeo complete with braided hoses and the difference is amazing. it would be a good time to renew the brake fluid in the system if its more than 3 years since it was last done
Old 15-02-2009 | 01:14 PM
zetecdan
Regular Contributor

see the how to i done here http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/show...hp?tid/752381/
you may have to register to view it if youre not a member
Old 15-02-2009 | 02:56 PM
kyle_st200
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by zetecdan
you can fit mondeo mk3 calipers and carriers (from any model mk3 they are all the same) and use st170 discs on the front. its an easy conversion. it all bolts straight on, the only thing you need are some 3mm spacers to fit between the carrier and caliper to centralise the disc. its a popular upgrade on the mondeo.
i've done this to my supercharged mk2 zetec mondeo complete with braided hoses and the difference is amazing. it would be a good time to renew the brake fluid in the system if its more than 3 years since it was last done
Thats spot on thanks mate,I will look into sourcing these bits and will probably do this. What engine is in your mondeo then? Can you supercharge the V6's?
Old 15-02-2009 | 02:58 PM
kyle_st200
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by tabetha
Put on some EBC yellowstuff pads, and some grooved discs, with braided lines, you will be stunned by the difference.
I have used all the big name brake pads, even get Ferrodo free, they are all different but I choose to buy ebc, use these on my cossie 2wd, work perfect from cold, no noise at all even with anti squeal shim on back of pad removed, little dust last a long time no fade.
I would however advise you do BOTH ends of the car so as not to unbalance brake effort front to rear.
tabetha
Wheres the best place to buy EBC products from? I will price it up and decide between that and the 300mm upgrade. Might even do the 300mm upgrade but use EBC pads and discs
Old 15-02-2009 | 03:17 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I normally just shop around a lot for whoever's the cheapest at the time.
If you can fit larger discs(4 stud) I would do this as leverage is what you are after, I keep forgetting about the poor brakes on early mondys being so tiny, but I would do as said with ST170 stuff, depending on how much you want to spend ?, I just use cheapo discs and replace every 2-3 years, as usually dead by then with me!!
tabetha

Trending Topics

Old 15-02-2009 | 04:53 PM
zetecdan
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by kyle_st200
Thats spot on thanks mate,I will look into sourcing these bits and will probably do this. What engine is in your mondeo then? Can you supercharge the V6's?

i have a 2ltr zetec with a jackson racing supercharger. yes it is possible to supercharge the v6. theres a guy on meg (mondeo enthusiasts group) with a supercharged st200 putting out around 400bhp but he has fitted the later 3ltr v6 engine.

i shopped around on ebay and bought some drilled and grooved st170 discs from ebay seller mtec others on meg have used him too and i've not heard any bad reports back. i bought some greenstuff pads again from ebay, shop around as prices vary. the calipers i got from a scrapped mk3, gave them an overhaul and a lick of paint and they are fine.

found a link to a supercharger kit for the v6 duratec http://www.3lduratec.com/supercharger.html

Last edited by zetecdan; 15-02-2009 at 05:19 PM.