Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Newbie needs help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:17 PM
abigailsweetie
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help!

Bought my first car last week

I decided it didn't need to be perfect after all I've only just passed my test so no point buying a brand new ford fiesta (learnt to drive in one and love it)
I don't have much knowldge about cars...at all.

SO what do I do about these problems and is it worth correcting them?

Bought a 1996 Fiesta LX 5 door for £300, in good condition, clean, engine runs fine no problems changing gear, although it doesn't always " click" into reverse.

one of the back doors doesn't open, not sure if its the actual handle, but it would be nice to have both doors opening.

steering is heavy as doesn't have power steering, i can manage it but is there anything i can do to make it better (sound like such a n00b!). I think the steering isn't properly aligned so I'll take it to a garage.

one of the wing mirrors doesn't move, think its the bit inside thats fallen off

Its got awful pink stickers over the car, what is the best way to take them off without damaging the paintwork.

its white, and I'd like it to be blue or black. changing the colour expensive? do I bother?

also the passenger seat doesn't move, the thing (!!) on the side just doesn't do anything, can't get it to slide backwards and forwards which if im in the passenger seat is a difficulty as im longlegged!

i think if just these little niggles were sorted it would be a perfect car for me. is it worth sorting? it really does run very well, the engine was well looked after and i could see myself driving it for aslong as it lasts
Old 06-02-2009, 06:45 PM
skinnybalboa
joel b

well the back door you will have to either try getting the door lining off from the inside and then you should be ble to move the rod and get the door to open then have a look to see what has happened to it, there isnt anything that you can really do to lighten the steering,(go to the gym) lol, go to a scrappy for a new mirror sure there will be loads of them lying about, use a hot airgun to heat up the stickers and peel them off, while your at the scrappys see if theres a seat aswell, it does cost alot of money to get a proper respray done so its upto you?!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:50 PM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

thats alot !
steering - are both front tyres inflated to the correct pressure this will help if not
stickers - you can use hot water just be carefull / heat gun can do this too {last option}
paint - i would'nt bother imo
back door - the cable has probably come off inside the door
mirror - the cable has probably come off snapped inside
hope some of this helps
Old 06-02-2009, 06:50 PM
abigailsweetie
Virgin

Not sure what is wrong with the seat, whether its the runners or not. Just want to sort it cheaply! Otherwise I'll end up in a garage being suckered into having as much done as possible.

Is it possibly to spray a car by oneself? I wouldn't do it, I don't even know the average cost for professionals to do it
Old 06-02-2009, 06:53 PM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

paint would cost more than what you paid for the car !