Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

is there such thing

Search this Thread

Old 21-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Smartdj.
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation is there such thing

as an uprated map sensor for fiesta turbo (ofac)..
im just trying to understand efi and how it can be tuned..
i know you can get 3bar map sensors for cosworth but im not exactly sure what they do, does it have somthing to do with boost levels ..
someone please explain to me what a map sensor does on efi setup im all confuzzled
Old 21-01-2009, 04:24 PM
siward
Regular Contributor

as far as i know a 2.5 bar map sensor will allow you to run 1.5bar boost, 3 bar map sensor will allow 2 bar of boost and so on.

I have a 2.5 bar map sensor on ofab

Si
Old 21-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Smartdj.
PassionFord Post Troll

ok so its linked to the ecu then.. does anyone else have anything else to add..i only just started to understand mfi and now iv been thrown in at the deep end again with efi .
Old 21-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe a MAP sensor is used in conjunction with a MAF sensor to tell the ECU how much air is flowing into the engine so it can then supply the correct amount of fuel and igntion timing based on those readings.

If you want go out of the sensor's meassurable range then the ECU will not be aware of the extra air and so not add more fuel or adjust the timing appropriatley and you'll go bang!
So.... you fit a sensor that has a wider range or meassurement and all is good! Assuming that the chip in the ECU knows what to do with all this extra air of course!

Last edited by Karlos G; 21-01-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 21-01-2009, 05:10 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Karlos G
I believe a MAP sensor is used in conjunction with a MAF sensor to tell the ECU how much air is flowing into the engine so it can then supply the correct amount of fuel and igntion timing based on those readings.

If you want go out of the sensor's meassurable range then the ECU will not be aware of the extra air and so not add more fuel or adjust the timing appropriatley and you'll go bang!
So.... you fit a sensor that has a wider range or meassurement and all is good! Assuming that the chip in the ECU knows what to do with all this extra air of course!
there is no maf sensor on a rst
Old 21-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Karlos G
Balls Deep!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycage
there is no maf sensor on a rst
Ok.. so it does what i said above but not in conjunction with a MAF sensor
Old 21-01-2009, 06:30 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Hi,

MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure) as the name suggests measures the pressure in the inlet manifold and reports this back to the ECU, 3BAR MAP sensors are used to replace the standard 2BAR sensors when boost pressure is increased.

You have 1 BAR pressure above sea level and now you are running over 1BAR boost pressure and your two bar sensor is maxed out and can not measure the excess pressure above this.

Normally in standard tune the 2 BAR sensor would be fine as pressure would not approach this level and would be fine.

Of course you would need a chip that is mapped for the sensor and can fuel accordinly.

A MAF sensor (Mass Airflow Sensor) is only used on newer cars and has the benefit that it can measure air "flow" as well as density.

Kind regards,

Martin.

Last edited by martysmartie; 21-01-2009 at 06:31 PM.