Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Cosworth loose ends

Search this Thread

Old 16-07-2008, 10:46 PM
cossie legend
Part of the Furniture

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cosworth loose ends

Ill start with the simple bit. Does the main earth strap from the battery bolt onto the side of the gearbox?
I posted some pics of my cosworth and everyone said the oil breather was plumbed up wrong. there is 4 pipes from it and i think its bailey. The top pipe with nothing on it is solid, Does this have to be drilled out? The other top pipe goes to the block on the inlet side. The big pipe at the bottom has nothing on it and its oily if you stick your finger up it but the engine bay is not oily if it drips it must be going down past the side of the engine. The other small pipe at the bottom goes to the inlet side of the engine as well. I cant see where it ends but i can feel and its somewhere below the oilfilter housing. There is other threads on oil breathers but i dont understand what kidney boxes and stuff is. I think i read in one that a pipe goes to the exhaust side somewhere under the turbo but the only hole i see is the oil return from the turbo and theirs no other pipes connected to it.
Old 17-07-2008, 01:20 AM
RWD Pete
Banned
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes strap to bellhousing, 4 pipes from breather? kidney box, open other side of block via adapter, rocker cover hole, outlet to atmosphere
Old 17-07-2008, 01:07 PM
cossie legend
Part of the Furniture

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the earth strap bolted on. I need more information on the breather. Do i have to drill out the top pipe?
Old 17-07-2008, 05:20 PM
ickey818
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about the bailey oil breathers but the spec r one I have on my cossie is plumbed in as follows

The lower port on the circular tank has a pipe which runs to an adapter screwed into the engine block on the drivers side. From the factory this hole is bunged with a threaded metal boss which you remove and screw an adaptor into. The bung is located just above the knock sensor above the front diff, the bung normally has the knock sensor wiring attached to it which you need to remove before taking the bung out. Thread size in the block is 3/8BSP so you will need a suitable adapter to fit this size of thread and a suitable length of hose.

The first top port on my breather system is plumbed into the existing kidney box which is located just under the inlet manifold (black box which looks like a kidney). Looking at your engine bay picture this pipe is already plumbed in, some people remove the kidney box and plumb the breather hose straight into the engine block.

The second top port on my system is plumbed into the rocker cover, again this needs an adaptor fitting so you can plumb the pipe work in. Some people don't use this port at all which is why yours maybe blanked off.

The third top port on my system is plumbed into a breather tank which is located over by the drivers side turret in the engine bay. This allows the gases going through the breather system to escape to atmosphere. You don't need a dedicated breather tank some people just let the hose breath to atmosphere with a small crankcase breather filter on the end of the pipe.

I hope this helps, I'm not an expert on breather systems but the above is how my system is plumbed in and it seems to work fine.