Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Ford focus ABS & Traction Lights staying lit

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:55 AM
cozmoss
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford focus ABS & Traction Lights staying lit

I have a T reg ford focus 2 litre ghia and the abs lights are driving me crazy, I got a preasure water jet wash and blasted all Inside the front wheels and "amazingly" the abs & traction lights went off and the abs kicked back in (as in, I could feel a slight snsation on the pedal when breaking) then after a short time the lights came back on! they were backk off for a couple of days and I actually thought Id cured it then, on they came again.Can anyone tell me how to access the actual sensors to remove and clean?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:55 PM
James998
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sensors are pushed into the hubs, interference fit and supposidly easy to remove and replace.

Not the case, they will most probably be siezed in and a bitch to get out, so soak them in wd40 and take it easy when removing them, give them a good clean and pop them back in.

If you don't know what the sensor looks like just follow the only electrical wire running down your strut, it should (If I remember rightly) be at the top middle of the hub, right behind the disc, infront of the strut.

Edit, not sure on the positioning of the rear ones, but should be fairly easy to spot.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:38 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Check your wheel bearings as the Focus bearing has a magnet set into one side of the bearing assembly (they have to be fitted one way only or the ABS light stays on) and most likely the bearings have a little too much play in them which is allowing the excess grease to come out and coat the gap between the bearing and the sensor.

When you pressure-washed that area, you removed the offending grease which allowed a "circuit" to be detected. After a while, the grease has built back up and broken the "circuit", putting the light back on.

I will almost guarantee you that should you remove the ABS sensor, it will be coated in grease.