Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

1996 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec cutting out.

Search this Thread

Old 31-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Berger
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec cutting out.

Hi,

Struggling with this, the girlfriend has a 1996 Fiesta with the 1.25 zetec engine.

Basically initially it started to "run away" with itself, the revs would rise on their own and it would drive itself basically!

Went into the garage at MOT time, they did a bit of work to it, took her for a fairly sizable bill, and well its not sorted.

Instead of the revs rising, it now cuts out.

If your at low speed using small throttle openings, you lose any throttle response, if you open the throttle, then let off the gas, and repress it again, you have no response from the engine for the second press of the accelerator. You have to let it go all the way back to idle for a second or so before you would get any response from the engine at all. Its also taken to just cutting out at low rpm, and no she isnt stalling the car as ive driven it too and had the same problem.

The only thing ive tried so far is the idle control valve. Following a guide i found http://www.ford-force.com/forums/ind...showtopic=3089, I tested it by removing the multiplug with the engine running and it stalls which is what the guide said it should do.

What else can i try without starting to just buy and replace parts in the hope that it will fix it. Have a full set of tools, just about anything ill need to do the job.

Last edited by Berger; 31-05-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Wardy257
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disconnect the MAF and see if she gets better.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:29 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a good look at the CTS, as if it senses a cold engine it will raise the revs, and can do so to 2500 rpm no problem.
tabetha
Old 02-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Berger
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wardy257
Disconnect the MAF and see if she gets better.
Unplugged the MAF it made the idle and engine response a lot worse, the two wires inside looked clean and relatively new.

Found this on a mondeo site which sounds almost identical to the problem im having, just not 100% sure which is the crankcase breather valve! I think its right next to the ICV, just a push fit with an O ring i think.
Crankcase Breather Valve (Positive Pressure Valve)

Ł6 for a small metal valve, that can be the source of a very bad idle. Designed to allow excess crankcase pressure to escape it causes a bad idle when partially blocked and will stall the engine when completely blocked.

Ford say this should be changed at 30,000 mile intervals but don't list it in the service guides (nor do Haynes), mine failed at 110k. It is a pig to change as it is hidden behind the exhaust manifold. Symptoms of this blocking are a good idle when cold, getting worse as you warm up leading to complete stalling at working temps. The engine seemed to pulse and hunt with a one second frequency between 1500 and 1700 rpm
Old 02-06-2008, 09:41 PM
pumesta
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Berger
Hi,

The only thing ive tried so far is the idle control valve. Following a guide i found http://www.ford-force.com/forums/ind...showtopic=3089, I tested it by removing the multiplug with the engine running and it stalls which is what the guide said it should do.
Did you try cleaning it, or replace it with one that you know 100% is working. 99% of the time when a zetec engined Fiesta refuses to idle it's the ICV
Old 03-06-2008, 05:47 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PCV valve does not cause what you have, it does not cause what is described above either, it is NOT there for EXCESS pressure but to close off the breathing when at idle, so as not to weaken the already weak idle mixture, it opens above idle to allow pressure to be sucked out of the engine crankcase.
It is temp related other than a WEAK mixture is more of a problem when hot.
Just squeeze the hose leading from the PCV shut with pliers etc if you want to to test it, the most likely problem on mondy is the "T" piece that goes to the PCV valve, as these split/perish and cause all manner of air leaks.
tabetha