Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

ECU Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:51 AM
spmotorsport
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Upgrades

Hey there
have a 1990 sapphire cossie 4x4 and am in the buildup process (engine,suspension, brakes) and have finaly got to the big question, what mangement system should I use
for the moment I have based this on a stage 3 tune setup, but am undecided on whether I should get a chip for the current ecu or get a complete replacment ecu setup, the two I have in mind are the MoTec M400 or an autronic based setup.

cheers hadyn
Old 02-02-2008, 08:31 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

If your modding things Hadyn and upgrading in future then a mappable ECU may be better long term.

If you do get a mappable ECU you have to think about who you would use in your area to map it for you. They would be in a better position to advise you as to what to choose depending on their experience / costs
Old 03-02-2008, 05:46 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As above, very good advice.
As said if you think you will want to go further get a 3d system, or if happy with stage3 then chip/set up would be cheaper.
I like Emerald systems, and usefully it is right on my doorstep.
A consideration might also be that certain makes stop giving help when the next version comes along!!, not so Emerald, all upgrades available free to download to existing systems.
The other major difference is should you get a problem, you speak to the people who DESIGNED THE SYSTEM, so of course know it inside out, not communicating through a third party ever.
They also have a lot of unique features too.
tabetha
Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Thats also the same for DTA

Call up the company and you can speak direct with Alan if you get into problems.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

im going autronic due to the fact of it being what a lot of the big power cosworths are using. im aiming for 500-560 horsepower and i just think its a very professional setup.
Of course it is expensive (far more so than emerald) but from what i have heard about the mapping ability on autronic and the increase in power throughout the curve im definately going with it.
I also think a couple of quite important people on the scene are using/supplying autronic as a way forward so thats where my moneys going

Hope my opinion helps
Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

So just following the crowd then!!
Certain makes are sold by certain people who are in business to make money, that's why they do it.
It matters not what make the ecu is, it is IMPOSSIBLE for one to make more power than another just because it is a different make, unless the lesser power one were a inferior spec in some way.
There is nothing wrong with autroic as well as some others, I just don't see the point in paying more than you have to.
Emerald goes to to 1 RPM increments for set points for example, and is constantly updated so that's where my money is going, what IU listed does not even scratch the surface of emralds capabilities.
tabetha
Old 14-02-2008, 08:02 AM
spmotorsport
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

thank's to all that have commented so far, I live in new zealand and haven't heard of emarald hence why i said motec or autronic because if my memory serves me right they are both made in austrailia or is it just autronic?
and have read up that the sm4 ecu allows anti lag + launch control functions, emarald may also provide this but i go back to my point of i haven't herad of them until now)

cheers again
hadyn

Trending Topics

Old 14-02-2008, 08:57 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I did not know they(emerald) were so rare in NZ, but think you have made the sensible decision in your case.
I will though ask Dave + Karl today about Emerald in NZ as I want to know, cos I'm nosey like that.
Anyway good luck with the car hope it all goes ok for you.
tabetha
Old 15-02-2008, 10:52 AM
purplemonster
RWD PUMA :)

tabetha makes alot of sense there

a few years ago i was in the same boat and needed an after market ecu
i emailed about 20 companys world wide i was looking for good aftersales help as well as a good ecu,i was a novice tat the time

well to my amazement i had about 3 replies
1 was omex
2nd was emerald
3rd was SDS in canada www.sdsefi.com

to be honest 2 more replies came about a month later but by then i have allready made my choice and went with sds due to the fact i was gob smacked by there help /advice and time they gave me even before buying a system,yes your thinking yes they just wanted to sell a system,but even to this day after not spending anything with them i years they would bend over backwards if i had a problem

the best most helpfull compnat that i have ever used

the down side is there system is very stand alone and you need to mount there crank trigger and a few magnets on the crank pulley

but after fitting the system i had the car idleing with in minutes and another 3 weeks of live tuning back and fore work etc i was running 15psi of boost and didnt miss a beat

i would advice anyone to have a good read of there website ,theres no flashy grapics its a factual no bullsh&t site and would surprise a few people ,its based on things they have done and results they have achieved

www.sdsefi.com/features/june02mini.htm my old car

just my opinion lol
Old 04-11-2009, 12:54 PM
chris_higgins_2o1o
Virgin

Default awrite m8

is there anychance u could tell me what ecu i would need 2 use if i was puttin a 2litre black top engine in my fiesta mk5 zetec s