Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

2wd callpers

Search this Thread

Old 13-12-2007, 08:47 PM
bpspa
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd callpers

going to seem a bit of daft question, but I have bought some new ebc red stuff pads and really having trouble getting putting them in without them clamping the disc

pistons have been pushed back using the backing plate of the old pad and piston compression tool to ensure good contact on all pistons, it seems to be the breaking in coating on the top of the pad that is making it too thick

how quickly does this stuff come off or anyone got any advice if you have fitted these before in standard callipers
Old 14-12-2007, 05:25 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same old problem!!
The coating last around 25/30 miles and does cause this but also does do a fantastic job of cleaning up the old discs, or new ones.
They are next to impossible to turn by hand but after a few presses(on the road) they will rotate freely, just drive a few miles they will be ok.
An alternative is to take off the metal "shim" on the rear of the pads, as I do, this is an anti squeal shim, I have yet to have ANY squeal from ebc brakes.
This will of course give them a bit more room, mine were tight like this even on brand new discs and calipers, it is quite normal, but concerning.
You can even grind off some of the break in coating but better to remove the shims on rear of pads, just prise off with screwdriver.
When again you need new pads the YELLOWSTUFF is ABSOLUTELY AWSOME, I have these track pads all round on my 2wd, just can't fault them unlike the Ferrodo/Mintex etc, they are a bit dusty but not horrendously so, but work from cold etc perfectly, as do reds which are my 2nd fave pad.
tabetha
Old 14-12-2007, 06:44 AM
bpspa
PassionFord Regular

excellent thanks tabetha.

I thought it was me going mad and doing something wrong, I will take off the anti squeal shim and see how they go then, I was thinking of grinding some of the coating off but don't have a wheel wide enough to ensure an even grind

whats the difference between the yellow and red stuff then as I do want to use the car on the road occasionally as well as on the track

thanks for your help
ben
Old 14-12-2007, 01:45 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The yellowstuff is thier track pad, above red in terms of performance.
I was driving all around Norwich yesterday for three hours and they were absolutely superb, work 95% from stone cold in the winter, best pad by far I have ever used.
My last pads of another make were ferrodo, absolutely shit tbh, although some like them, they had no feel at all faded really easy, just after they got hot enough to work!!
I used DS 2000/2500/3000, not even worth opening the box, same with Mintex 1144/1155, although these were way better than the ferrodo's, but very dusty, nice average pad though.
You would be well happy with yellows, a man who works at EBC has them on his daughters std 1.25 zetec fiesta so they can't be too bad!!
Using grooved/drilled discs helps immensely also in my experience.
tabetha
Old 14-12-2007, 07:53 PM
bpspa
PassionFord Regular

cheers tabetha

will give the yellow stuff ago once I wear these out, fitted the red stuff this afternoon and drove round the block and the coating seems to have gone, going to recheck it all again this weekend, put the bumpers back on and get it out there for a good run out.
Will be uprating the discs when the ones on there have had enough as they are fairly new, but will go for the grooved/drilled discs
thanks for all the help
ben