Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Dead Ford Orion

Search this Thread

Old 28-03-2007, 09:39 PM
smudge_lad
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dead Ford Orion

Was out in the Orion tonight, driving as I normally do, nothing harsh. Had been a bit drizzly, but have driven her in wetter conditions.

Had been driving for about 10 minutes, so the engine wasn't cold, and I stopped to pick up my mate, and the car was idling, but seemed to be struggling, and spluttering, like there was lack of fuel. I gave it a few revs, and seemed to be ok for a few minutes.

Started off again, was ok if I was easing the accelerator gently, but after slowing for a roundabout, and trying to put power on again, it just wasn't having it.

Again, easing onto the accelerator seemed to be the best way to keep us going, but when trying to put the foot down a wee bit to try and get past the spluttering, it was really struggling to do anything. The turbo was spooling up fine, sounded as good as always, but just no power at all.

Now she won't start Had a quick look under the bonnet before it got dark, can't seem to find any air leaks. The fuel pump is making a slightly different sound than it usually does though.

She's turning over no problem.

Any idea's? Will check the pump and metering unit tomorrow, but anythign else any body could suggest would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Keir
Old 28-03-2007, 09:46 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its on MFI yea? Fuel pump more than liklely being as its a pressure operated system.

How much fuel is in it just out of curiosity
Old 29-03-2007, 09:31 AM
smudge_lad
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well my fuel gauge ain't working, faulty earth wire somewhere or other, so I've just been gauging roughly how much petrol I put in and how much I use.

Now that you've mentioned that, I can't remember if I put in £20 or £10 the last time. I've been driving as though it's been £20 so that's the first thing I'll try today.

The engine's the normal 1.6i engine that was in the Orin, with FRST inlet manifold so that part is EFI
Old 29-03-2007, 02:09 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U said above you will check the metering unit?

You want to fix the gauge......top mounted sender on a MK2 though Try bridging the sender wire to eath to determine whether its the gauge or sender thats faulty.