Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Cosworth...044 fuel pump problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:25 PM
2wd
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cosworth...044 fuel pump problem...

Hi, I was hoping that someone had an idea to this… :

I have put on a new 044 fuel pump on my 2wd sapp.. and shortly after I noticed a strange sound from the rear of the car, and I quickly found that the noice came from the new pump … .

I talked to the company I got it from and they told me that it is normal for the 044 to be more noicy that the std pump but as I told them…I know how the pump sound is…this is a quite different sound (difficult to put down in words)… but it’s like a “clik clik clik…” and so on…

. First I tested it on the car and when the strange “clicking noice” where there, I took off the filler cap, as I was thinking that the breather in the tank was bad, but that didn’t change anything…the noice where still there .

Next morning I did the same thing again, started the car from cold, but the noice where gone . Then I took it for a drive and when I got back in the driveway, and sat in idle the noice where back. So it seems that the problem mostly is there when warm.

I then took the pump of the car and put it in a “test stand” and put on power…now the noice where almost” gone …there was the normal pump sound, but also a strange noice like a crackling/grinding noice (again hard to explain in words) but it was not the same as when mounted on the car (clicking) and it didn’t sound as loud… ???

Any way...I then send the pump to the company and they now say that there is no problem with the pump...it's just fine .... Im quite sure thet they did not test it on a car...

I am a bit confused, as I cant see what is wrong, (a workshop nearby are sure that there is a problem with the pump…) the pump has covered around 5000 km and has had this problem since I put it on the car…..so if anyone has an idea… please advice…!
(I have the std pump on now...and guess what... no strange noice )