Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

need help buying my first saph cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 27-02-2007, 06:32 PM
ladsarmy
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help buying my first saph cosworth

I am thinking of purchasing my dads friends cosworth the car is mint done 90,000 miles magenta history green top engine think it is a later one cant remember i do know has black dash no mods at all previouse owners were old men.
Now the bit i am worried about the car has been kept in a garage for the last 5 years never been started just sitting there as the old guy was not well and has now passed away i know this car been trying to get it since it been off the road how do i go about getting it running again i know i will need a battery if i change all filters spark plugs change oil turn it over by hand will that do it also drain petrol will i need to do anything else dont want the engine to go bang the car has prob never been run hard will the oil be to thick how will the engine be thanks for all help will post pics when i get it thanks
Old 28-02-2007, 06:09 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not bother with anything but the petrol, and of course battery will be needed.
Just put on new battery, put in gear and try pushing car if you can (rusty brakes!!), if not just check all fluids are correct, and start gently do not rev up too much, run for a minute, turn off the let it sit a while do this a few times, it will be smoky as hell from engine as dust etc and any oil burn off, then when up to a decent temp turn off and change the oil, filter.
Also the fuel filter and diff, gearbox oil, brake fluid will need renewing.
Just put the heater on hot and fan(1) to vents as it warms up so you can keep a check on the temp as it is not uncommon for the thermostat to stick if laid up this long, so when up to temp turn off and leave, until cool, this will cause th thermostat to open rather than continuing to run it.
Keep feeling the top hose and you will feel when it has opened.
You may well have all sorts of weird electrical gremlins these are easily sorted, just usually by cleaning earths etc.
Depending on where stood the discs/pads may need changing, just be cautious of the brakes!!, fluid will defo need changing.
Above all it's not a race take your time, and it wil be fine, some hoses may have gone hard examine carefully water fuel pipes.
There is loads more but it will be obvious to you.
tabetha
Old 01-03-2007, 05:07 PM
ladsarmy
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car

anthing more i wil need to do going tomorrow to see it