Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

3dr starting problem......Clifford alarm???? Urgent!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 20-04-2006 | 07:51 AM
rocky_robin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default 3dr starting problem......Clifford alarm???? Urgent!!! :(

My 3dr started as normal last weekend and ran perfect.
I locked her up (Clifford G5) and left her.

2 nights ago, I went in to start her up, ready for her MOT and she refused to start. (cancelled the MOT twice and only got 2 days to go till it runs oot!)
It turns over normal speed but doesn't fire up the fuel pump.

Following searchs on here and on the RSOC BB and was give a few leads, which I checked out last night.
I checked the TPS gap and resistance = OK
Phase sensor gap and resisitance = OK.

Pulled out the ECT lead and clicked the ignition to position II and the fuel pump buzzed for 1 second.

I checked the spark and NO spark is immitted!

I've checked all fuses and relays (pulling them out of their holders and checking for corrosion. All OK

I noticed however that when disarming her, the boot central locking didn't make it's usual 'thud' when opening. I never paid much attention to this, until last night. The LED fopr the alarm when off as usual and the ignition lights came on and the car turned over..........but with no fire.

I thought that a problem could be the battery, so stuck a charger onto it. I left it over 1 hr on fast charge. After that I locked the car with the SPARE fob and opened it again. I heard the boot lock 'thud' this time, so attempted to start the car again.............still the same.

What I was thinking was, could the Clifford alarm imobbilise the fuel/spark system......even though the light has went out?
Would the battery have this issue?

The weird thing about it was that the car has been sitting without the trickle charger being connected for over 1 month and started no probs last weekend. 1 week later and she won't even budge!?!?

I called my delaer who fitted the alarm and they said (over the phone) that it can't be the alarm and to try it with it in Valet mode (Chop also suggested this and it never worked)

Could it be possible to reset the alarm without taking it to the dealer (such as pain as I don't have anyone to tow me there during working hours)

Please help in anyway!
Old 20-04-2006 | 09:42 AM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've had this also, for me I undone the battery for about 10 mins and it was ok then
Old 20-04-2006 | 09:53 AM
se mk3 cabbie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

wouldnt of said alarm mate, i think most cliffords shut off spark, but also fuel pump and starter, so none would work
Old 20-04-2006 | 11:19 AM
silky16v
Get on That!

disarm alarm (valet mode) lift bonnet unplug battery and leave couple of hours and then try it
Old 20-04-2006 | 12:46 PM
rocky_robin

Thanks for the advise!

I've disconnected the battery and will wait for a few hours then will have a go at it again.
The trickle charger has been on all night, but still didn't do anything.

I've got the charger on the battery right now, but all other connections taken off. Hopefully that will somewhat reset the flipping thing!

If not, it will have to be towed to the dealer tonight, to their misery (excellect lifetime warrenty!)
Old 21-04-2006 | 06:52 AM
rocky_robin

She's alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...........but I don't know what was the problem!!! :wft: :wft:

I connected the battery back up and attempted to start it......but the same results happened. After getting over both the feelings of 'I knew that was going to happen' & 'God damn it never started', I called the alarm dealer and said I'd be in an an hour.

Before I called my 'AA man', I thought I'd double check everything, starting from the relay. It certainly didn't clcik when cranking.
So onto the dizzy cap. I took it off & the TPS sensor connector (to give me more room) and disconnected the coil lead. From there, I earthed it onto the cam cover and cranked it.............IT SPARKED!
So back on with the cap and the TPS sensor connector and checked the spark of plug No 1. Cranked it..........and the car started on 3 cylinders!!!!!

Back on with plug No.1 and the car started as normal!!!!

God knows what happened as I'd already had off the dizzy, leads, spark plugs, sensor connectors, etc, etc the other night. :wft:

Well, thanks everyone who replied, even though I feel as though I've wasted yer time.