General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Buying a car and legally driving it home?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Buying a car and legally driving it home?

Insurance wise, either add it temp to my current policy ( if thats possible? )

or buy a one day insurance policy about £30

As for tax, is it really a case of tax it for one day, the sorn it when i get home and paying the goverment £20 ish quid for one months tax?

Is there any other legal way that will cost me less?
Old 11-06-2016, 03:15 PM
st220kyle
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Trade plates?
Old 11-06-2016, 03:16 PM
JasonPD
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

How come you only need to tax for one day?

Yes annoyingly each new owner does need to tax so I would just do it online before I left in the new car. As for insurance I've got a motor trade policy but interested to see what other folk do.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:17 PM
JasonPD

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

If vehicle is currently insured you can often drove it third party on a lot of fully comp policies.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:41 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Originally Posted by JasonPD
How come you only need to tax for one day?

Yes annoyingly each new owner does need to tax so I would just do it online before I left in the new car. As for insurance I've got a motor trade policy but interested to see what other folk do.
Would be buying it driving it home and parking it up forawhile before using it.

If vehicle is currently insured you can often drove it third party on a lot of fully comp policies.
The vehical is insured, and I can drive other vechicals not in my name 3rd party, but if i bought it , it would then be in my name.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:42 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Originally Posted by st220kyle
Trade plates?
not in the trade and know no one in the trade, just looking to see what general private buyers do, legally.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:53 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

I assumed there was a grace period when buying a car? I drove mine home without buying tax as it was the last day of the month. I taxed it the next day.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

You would think the sensible option would be there being a grace period that allows a car purchased on that date to be driven home by the new owner (maybe a caveat that the car had to have been previously taxed, not SORN). But no, this is the British government that don't give a fuck about doing the sensible thing, but only want to do the thing that makes them the most amount of money.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

If its insured and taxed, mot'd in someone else's name and you buy it then so long as you are yourself insured it shouldn't matter in the unlikely event that you get pulled over.
All ANPR will show as its taxed for that day.

So just get insurance and should be ok.

When my 3dr got wrote off it was not taxed, it was in sured and had just half a mile from the crash passed the mot.

Coppers done the checks and said its not taxed so best get it done asap just incase - which i did. Then it was wrote off by the insurance.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:04 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

hmm suppose then, I could leave the asking price as a deposit and test drive it home, then say ill have it thanks?
Old 11-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Yep, that too lol
Old 11-06-2016, 06:35 PM
st220kyle

I was in the same situation 2 weeks ago (theres a thread of my new car) as I also wanted it sorned. My way of looking at it was that it was taxed and insured in the sellers name so I drove it home on my own insurance from other car. It wouldn't appear on any anpr database so it was unlikely I would be stopped. How can anyone say for sure what point you become the new owner?
Old 11-06-2016, 06:47 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Do a car tax check online on the day your going to drive it. Sometimes takes a while for them to take it off the system.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:49 PM
mk1turboestate

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Fil
hmm suppose then, I could leave the asking price as a deposit and test drive it home, then say ill have it thanks?

Think legally this is probably your best bet, at least then whatever happens you are fully legal
Old 11-06-2016, 08:26 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

How far away is it? Get the current owner to deliver it and get the train home.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:22 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Originally Posted by Fudgey
How far away is it? Get the current owner to deliver it and get the train home.

50 or so miles away, around the m25, so could mean an hour or 4hour journey!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:25 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Fil
Would be buying it driving it home and parking it up forawhile before using it.

The vehical is insured, and I can drive other vechicals not in my name 3rd party, but if i bought it , it would then be in my name.
But it wouldn't be in your name at that time, beware with this as well, as it requires that someone else (i.e. the current owner) has insurance on the car!

Martin
Old 12-06-2016, 09:28 AM
bigdel

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

my son bought a car last week and I drove it home for him.

all the way back from Cotswolds to other side of Reading. Just assumed that as the car wasn't registered to me, and I'm obviously insured to drive other cars under my policy I'd be covered.
Tax would be a grey area though. How are you supposed to tax it when the car isn't actually insured (bought it off a trader), and it's not registered in your name. Surely the law should be/is pragmatic enough to allow for this eventuality?
Anyway, got home ok with no incidents
Old 12-06-2016, 10:42 AM
BigChuck

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

book the car in for an mot, that will cover the tax and mot. then its just insurance, either take out temporary cover or risk it driving on your policy if its still covered under the old owners policy and he is happy to say its still his if the police do stop you.

its a bit of a pain, was in a similar situation when i bought my t5, no tax, mot or insurance on it, i just transferred my insurance over when i bought it then drove it 40 miles the mot station then home.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:12 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

Not if you've just bought it and are now the owner of the vehicle.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:14 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Thrush
You would think the sensible option would be there being a grace period that allows a car purchased on that date to be driven home by the new owner (maybe a caveat that the car had to have been previously taxed, not SORN). But no, this is the British government that don't give a fuck about doing the sensible thing, but only want to do the thing that makes them the most amount of money.
As everyone knows, nothing in motoring law is sensible....often everything but, designed to make it as awkward as possible to do perfectly safe and honest things....but they make them illegal for the purposes of extorting money from us !

Other option is trailer hire, it shouldnt be too expensive for a day.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:55 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

if your buying the car out of hours, after work etc then how can you be expected to buy road tax to drive it home? not everyone is connected to the internet 24 hours a day and I certainly wouldn't be putting my bank details into my smart phone to buy anything online anyway.

Last edited by fuzzy; 12-06-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:00 PM
bigdel

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

It seems the law is an ass....

Old 12-06-2016, 01:10 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

how do you actually do this if you've bought a car from a private seller out of hours? assuming the car was taxed by the previous owner even if hes cashed in his roadtax you only get refunded full months anyway so the current months will still be in force and on the database? I know tax isn't transferable so that means theyre making an extra months tax in the overlap everytime a car changes hands .

Last edited by fuzzy; 12-06-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:29 PM
Vacuman
PassionFord Regular

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

This is an old argument. The solution suggested is good, to drive it on your 3rd party cover on the basis that your forward date the sale by 24hrs. That demands some risk taking by the seller as, technically they are still owners until the next day. So if you get flashed for speeding home with your new toy, or have a bang, it's still going to score against them initially.

When I bought a car earlier this year for my daughter we put down a deposit one weekend and then during the week set up insurance and bought the tax ready to pay up and collect the next weekend. Meant an extra 70 mile round trip and paying for a month tax for last week of the month. Hey, it's only money........in the big scheme of things it was a small price to pay compared to the risk/cost should sod's law have us pulled up or in a bang.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:21 PM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default road tax

as far as tax i wouldnt worry too much-if the seller has it taxed it wont be an issue as it wont ping any cameras etc
would make sure car is insured by the seller if you are driving it even for a test drive as your own driving other cars cover [if you have it] wont in most cases cover you...if its still insured you could write a wee chitty up saying for insurance purposes only seller will remain the legal keeper until you arrive home
the new tax system is designed to generate double revenue for every car sold on the last month-simples
Old 12-06-2016, 04:27 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by Vacuman
This is an old argument. The solution suggested is good, to drive it on your 3rd party cover on the basis that your forward date the sale by 24hrs. That demands some risk taking by the seller as, technically they are still owners until the next day. So if you get flashed for speeding home with your new toy, or have a bang, it's still going to score against them initially.

When I bought a car earlier this year for my daughter we put down a deposit one weekend and then during the week set up insurance and bought the tax ready to pay up and collect the next weekend. Meant an extra 70 mile round trip and paying for a month tax for last week of the month. Hey, it's only money........in the big scheme of things it was a small price to pay compared to the risk/cost should sod's law have us pulled up or in a bang.
But then technically the seller is taking on some liability by doing that, as you are driving a vehicle they still own under a slightly iffy insurance clause but driving with the owners permission.
It's a bad scenario in any respect.

The government dont give a fuck, they dont want to make it easy to be legal etc. hence why they dream up so many schemes to make perfectly normal motoring related things, illegal.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:29 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

as a seller I wouldn't put myself that position. its the buyers responsibility to do what he has to do.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Prince_Thain
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am I right in thinking the following is legal?
Book MOT at your local MOT test centre, make sure you give them registration number and that it's got no MOT.
Pick up car from wherever it is insure it for the day, drive it back home to test centre, have the test done and then drive it home.
All legal as MOT and road tax aren't required to drive to, or back from an MOT test. You've insured it which is the minimum legal requirement.

There is a bit of sneakiness in that you're driving quite a distance to the test centre but any traffic can confirm you have the appointment that day for a test and you're on your way to it.
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test
It says you can drive your car away to have defects fixed (which you will do yourself or arrange for repairs)
It needs to be in a safe roadworthy condition though, which is your responsibility.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:32 PM
focrs
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For £30 is it really worth risking the car and not getting pay out ? Also points or a ban ?

Can't understand why no one would insure the car correctly how would you feel tomorrow when someone makes a mistake in a car they have just picked up and doing something to save £30 and ruins your car then you are left with nothing.
Short term surly is only way why would any seller allow you to use there policy when they have no idea who you are or kind of driver?
Also when buying a car as we all know it's a lucky bag anything could be bodged to get it away from the old owners hands. What if something goes wrong and you end up at road side with poor injured children in a crash which you can not afford to treat them to proper care .
Madness get it sorted correctly.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:57 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

That's why I've asked really, I'm not fussed about forking out £30 for proper insurance, I would never drive a car uninsured on the road.

and yes tax is what £22ish for a month, it's just a pisstake from the government ( as per normal! ) that tax is now per owner and not on the car.

ideally i want to get a limited millage classic policy sorted in the next few days, and I wouldn't mind keeping it taxed and use it, whilst I sell another car.

but if not I'll be spending £50 to get it home, legally and store it off road
Old 12-06-2016, 11:40 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

when they went automated online with the tax they could have easily taxed it to the day hour minute or even second as the technology is piece of piss when automated.

However the fact they deliberately chose to make it monthly tells you all you need to know - money making scam basically.
Old 15-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Well then, got a decent quote, so have a years insurance and paid for the tax on my phone and collected the car today.

all's well that ends well
Old 15-06-2016, 09:12 PM
st220kyle

What car did you get anyway out of interest?
Old 15-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

a 1995 Mercedes 320TE

Name:  edited_20160615_171110.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  49.5 KB
Old 16-06-2016, 12:45 AM
rs007

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
when they went automated online with the tax they could have easily taxed it to the day hour minute or even second as the technology is piece of piss when automated.

However the fact they deliberately chose to make it monthly tells you all you need to know - money making scam basically.
Exactly this.

The DVLA now get DOUBLE tax for the month any time a car is bought or sold, assuming the new keeper doesn't pick it up on a low loader and strictly follows the guidelines.

On one hand I'm surprised there hasn't been a bigger kick off about this as its blatant robbery - but on the other, I'm not surprised at all because folks are that disenfranchised now that they can't even be bothered fighting scams like this.
Old 16-06-2016, 08:55 PM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default tax

Originally Posted by rs007
Exactly this.

The DVLA now get DOUBLE tax for the month any time a car is bought or sold, assuming the new keeper doesn't pick it up on a low loader and strictly follows the guidelines.

On one hand I'm surprised there hasn't been a bigger kick off about this as its blatant robbery - but on the other, I'm not surprised at all because folks are that disenfranchised now that they can't even be bothered fighting scams like this.
i dont know if anybody has been to court about this yet as if i was caught/prosecuted for using a car which somebody had already paid road tax for that month i would argue no case as the revenue was already collected for the vehicle that month so its simple "double taxation"-it only takes one judgement to go against them and it would create havoc -i would be surprised if they took a case to court for this very reason
Old 16-06-2016, 08:58 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

But the government know that most people it will affect..cannot afford to fight them in court. And those that can..dont give a fuck anyway
Old 20-06-2016, 04:36 PM
hEaT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you call up a local tow company and get it moved on a flatbed?

Also, this is amazing. Has anyone actually done this???

If you think your car has passed when it shouldn’t have
You’ll need to complain to DVSA if don’t think your car should have passed its MOT. Fill in the complaint form and send it to DVSA within the time limits below.

DVSA will:

offer you an appointment within 5 days to recheck your vehicle - you won’t need to pay for the test again
send you an inspection report listing any vehicle defects and advisory items