Shows & Track Days Advertise and arrange your shows and track days in here.

Autocross, NE Scotland 2007

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:31 PM
creation-racing
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross, NE Scotland 2007

After a hugely successful year in 2006, Stonehaven and District Motor Club ( www.sdmc.org.uk ) are once again on the hunt for competitors for our 2007 events. As well as being involved with Autotesting, Sprints/Hillclimbs and Navigational/Stage Rallying, we are again making a special effort this year to boost entries for our Autocross events. Autocross is an off-road Speed formula, i.e. cars compete against the clock, leaving the line 2 or 4 at once at staggered intervals, the winner being the driver to complete the required amount of laps in the quickest time. Events will generally be held on grass or stubble fields. And although there is the chance of cars meeting on the track, Autocross is a non-contact formula so no banger racing antics please!

Virtually anyone can compete in Autocross, driving licence is not necessary and competitors can be as young as 14 years old. Any type of car can be entered with minimal modifications. Fire extinguisher and mudflaps are mandatory, with a rollcage, harness and racing seat being recommended although not required. Classes will be divided according to engine size and transmission type. Most engine, suspension and bodywork modifications are unrestricted. Full technical regulations can be found in section G of the MSA Competitors handbook (which you will receive when you apply for a competition licence).

So if you want to do it on the cheap, take any old road car, tear the interior out, fit a 1.75L handheld extinguisher and a set of cheap off-road tyres and you’re ready to do some Autocrossing! It’s common to drive to an event in the car you’re competing in but most will prefer to trailer their cars. You will also require a club membership and MSA Competition Licence (£15 and £33 per year – No courses or exams required). A flameproof suit and helmet are required but welder’s overalls and a bike helmet with correct BSI numbers will suffice.

The provisional dates for the 2007 events are as follows. Venues and MSA Permit etc are TBC but if there is demand the events will certainly go ahead. The first one is not until June so even if you’re looking to prepare a car from scratch you will have plenty of time! Events will be counters in the SDMC Speed Championship, the SDMC Club Championship and the SDMC Fiesta Challenge. Recent events have been held at Netherley near Stonehaven, about ten miles south of Aberdeen but new venues are being considered.

June 3rd
August 5th
September 2nd

So whether you want to compete casually on your spare weekends or put together a purpose built car and take the sport up properly (events are held all over the UK), for more info send PM or email to rbk@masterpower.co.uk

(Thanks to Scott McKenzie and Ian Cowie for the photos!)

Old 23-01-2007, 09:47 AM
IAIN ABZ
PassionFord Regular

Default Hi

Hi there,

Sounds like loads of fun, do you have to be a member of sdmc or can admc members come allong???

Iain
Old 27-01-2007, 05:38 PM
creation-racing

Hi Iain,

You dont even have to be a member of a motor club to come along, spectators/marshals always welcome!

To compete, any motor club membership (even ADMC.... lol) and Nat B licence is all you need, apart from a car, helmet and flameproofs of course. If you want any more info drop me an email mate!

Roy K.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:03 PM
IAIN ABZ
PassionFord Regular

Hi,

I probably wouldnt be competeing although i have everything except a car! lol

I can certainly marshall if im onshore though

Iain
Old 06-02-2007, 06:13 PM
creation-racing

Well nothing fancy is required, a lot of the lads just come along with whatever they can pick up cheap (as you can see from the pics), do minimal prep on them and just have a good laugh!

Last year we even hired cars to people to get them interested, not sure if we're doing that this year though. Nothing fancy, just road saloons with some old rally knobblies! Would that idea be any good for yourself?

Oh, more Autocross pics at www.photobucket.com, type SDMC_Photos into the search box....
Old 22-02-2007, 12:41 PM
IAIN ABZ
PassionFord Regular

Yeah it does sound good, I have a lot on my plate and no space even to store another car at the mo so my only option is marshalling, but when you have a date then let me know and I will try and get over for it

I dont mind standing in a field all day... as long as i can breathe petrol

Iain
Old 27-02-2007, 03:39 PM
creation-racing

Cheers Iain, give me your email address and I'll add you to the mailing list...