Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.

Search this Thread

Old 26-01-2019 | 09:51 AM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Lol I've been working thier at jaguar for 3 month not the best daily comute
Old 26-01-2019 | 10:42 AM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

That's exactly why I'm down here now. 72 miles each way before I go off to the job. Nearly killed me doing it for 8 months
Old 27-01-2019 | 08:37 PM
Rsmat
300+

Basically got to where the car was Saturday ..only to be informed of hidden bill for Ł420 .. so a grand total of Ł2,830 for the pleasure of a car with hardly any water in it , old wiring loom still hung down the passenger side and one of my bonnet vents broke ..the whole ordeal has took the piss ..car looks a right mess plus the engine is fucked ..bearing and possible crank Damage ..I've started stripping it today to get the engine back to ALD for inspecting and rebuild ..the car has only done 26 miles in total on the rollers and that's included 12 runs at 1 bar or so I'm told ..anyhow ordeal over its now time to crack on and get it sorted .

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.-rhpuo0z.jpg

I drained what was left in the engine from the bung coming out ..0.7L of oil .

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.-5uggiul.jpg

sump off ..and damage apparent .

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.-nioh3ke.jpg

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.-cznbvdy.jpg
Old 27-01-2019 | 08:42 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Sad to see this after all your work matt
The following users liked this post:
Rsmat (27-01-2019)
Old 27-01-2019 | 08:50 PM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Gutted for you mate. That's some bill for very little work. How did they break the vent? I take it you didn't pay the full bill? Is this Area52?
Old 27-01-2019 | 08:50 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by james kiely
Sad to see this after all your work matt
proper took piss mate honest .

Old 27-01-2019 | 09:00 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Credit where credit is due mate, with all the agro Ive had with mine in 10 or so years in most cases with big probs Ive had at least a week to sulk before getting back on with it.
Rsmat (27-01-2019)
Old 27-01-2019 | 09:03 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by studabear
Credit where credit is due mate, with all the agro Ive had with mine in 10 or so years in most cases with big probs Ive had at least a week to sulk before getting back on with it.
it certainly makes you feel like that mate ..but I've still got a massive drive to finish it and enjoy it this year
Old 27-01-2019 | 09:04 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by jonfoc
Gutted for you mate. That's some bill for very little work. How did they break the vent? I take it you didn't pay the full bill? Is this Area52?

yea mate the bill is paid all but Ł120 has I only had 300 in my pocket when I landed .
Old 27-01-2019 | 09:13 PM
Rsmat
300+

The rachem dr25 loom he's made and fitted look a lovely and discrete but then on the other side has tapped into the old MFI loom for a alternator feed and left all the loom on the inner wing like this .

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.-6rdgbwv.jpg

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.-2orwg9c.jpg

and my broken bonnet vent.

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.-l0m9kd9.jpg
Old 27-01-2019 | 09:38 PM
stevenebm
post whore

not good mate,not good attall.good to hear you still have a drive to get it finished as id be wounded!
Rsmat (27-01-2019)
Old 27-01-2019 | 09:41 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

That is shocking. Some people take no pride in their work, clearly the car is beautifully presented and anyone working on it should match it.

sorry to hear the engine is damaged from the bung.
Rsmat (27-01-2019)
Old 27-01-2019 | 09:47 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
That is shocking. Some people take no pride in their work, clearly the car is beautifully presented and anyone working on it should match it.

sorry to hear the engine is damaged from the bung.
how can anyone do a lovely job and then leave the other side like this with a bodge .. cowboy at his finest .
Old 27-01-2019 | 09:48 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What a shame mate after all the graft you put in. This is why I'd be scared to ever let anyone touch my car as they never seem to take care of it like it's your own. I'm sure you'll get it
Sorted mate good luck
Old 27-01-2019 | 09:55 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by gcfcos
What a shame mate after all the graft you put in. This is why I'd be scared to ever let anyone touch my car as they never seem to take care of it like it's your own. I'm sure you'll get it
Sorted mate good luck

cheers mate and your right ..first time I've used someone else in nearly 20years and it's been a disaster ..I'm on with sorting it all now ..engines ready for lifting out tomoz.
Old 27-01-2019 | 10:46 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Who made the loom Matt and are you going to find someone else to map the simtek once you’ve repaired the engine?
Rsmat (28-01-2019)
Old 28-01-2019 | 02:03 AM
Canada1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I am at a loss for words.
I can understand a cylinder head plug coming loose. However, to pump out 4 liters of oil? Hell that thing must have almost caught on fire.
It must have been running a very long time for that much oil to come out of the distributor hole opening.

I have always been at dyno test sessions for my personal cars/engines. I guess I don't trust too many people with my hard earned $$.

I know you will get this sorted out soon enough.
Just one of those shit things that happens from time to time.

Keep up your good work. It will be a stunner when finally completed!!

Cheers
Rsmat (28-01-2019)
Old 28-01-2019 | 04:40 AM
bluntys1rsturbo
Boost addict

as per our convo on faceache, such shoddy neglegent workmanship its like your car was treated with as little respect as possible for some reason.

how the fuck do you break a vent as far as im aware your never anywhere near them to cause any damage?

that wiring loom is a complete joke, im by no means any good with electrics but my god im sure i could have a go at making a tidier job than that.

to only run the car for 20 or so miles before whacking the boost up is a piss take also as i know you wanted at least 200 miles of running/bedding in first, maybe if he had done this the problem of the bung would of been easier/quicker to spot in the first place.

Im just glad it hasnt disheartened you and that your going sort it with the help of ALD. Then get it up to MSD so some proper tuners can sort it
Rsmat (28-01-2019)
Old 28-01-2019 | 06:01 AM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by Adam-M
Who made the loom Matt and are you going to find someone else to map the simtek once you’ve repaired the engine?

the mapper made the loom ..that side I'm happy with ..it's the point he's left all the MFI stuff in ..Yea mate I'm getting someone else to finish the mapping .
Old 28-01-2019 | 06:41 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Jesus christ its bad enough with the engine ! Well your balls deep now son so its gotta get finished hey
Old 28-01-2019 | 06:42 AM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Dog shit mate
Old 28-01-2019 | 07:52 AM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

I can only echo what others have said. To shed 4litres - that's complete incompetence!
Old 28-01-2019 | 08:31 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

That is shit news mate and bad workmanship leaving a wiring job like that when you've paid to have the job done properly

But with the oil leak if the car gave no signs the oil was leaking they may not have noticed anything til oil pressure dropped and the dreaded knocking started
Old 28-01-2019 | 01:25 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by Jay,
Jesus christ its bad enough with the engine ! Well your balls deep now son so its gotta get finished hey
up to my neck ..I've got it stripped ready to lift out now and tonight start cutting the old loom back ..got to finish it.
Old 28-01-2019 | 01:26 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
That is shit news mate and bad workmanship leaving a wiring job like that when you've paid to have the job done properly

But with the oil leak if the car gave no signs the oil was leaking they may not have noticed anything til oil pressure dropped and the dreaded knocking started

that's exactly what happened the pressure dropped instant he shut off and it was to late.
Old 28-01-2019 | 01:31 PM
tejy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Hi Matt, sorry to hear about the loss of oil pressure. I too know the feeling of an engine dying... I'm on engine number 5 .. Just remember to never give up; you've come so far with the whole project. The car is still looking stunning even if it doesn't run (its still a shonky ford but we love our shonky fords )... It WILL be worth it in the end! As for the loom, did you want to retain all of the MFI wiring? Its really not that hard to remove the MFI wiring, should that be what you want to do. All you need to do is unwrap the loom that is no longer needed and just cut as far back as you can, then retape it. Also maybe something to think about.. Add a knock sensor to your ecu.. Why did you have it on the rollers if the engine wasn't bedded in? It just doesn't make any sense.. After all the hard work you have done I would recommend before you get it on the rollers again to get some mileage down off boost. Sounds like the tuners didn't know what they were doing if they did 12 runs at 1 bar boost without running the engine in first, sounds like a recipe for disaster IMO. We live and we learn hey. You weren't to know that the the bung would have popped out, I don't think anyone could have anticipated that. At least this is an extremely valuable lesson to be learned. Rather have an issue on a rollers than blowing up an engine and getting into an accident on the roads. Keep your head up, back to the drawing board, with the necessary adjustments you'll come back bigger and better. As for the broken vent, if you go on eBay there's a few for sale. Good luck and keep the updates coming!
Rsmat (28-01-2019)
Old 28-01-2019 | 02:16 PM
Mad_Mat
New Owner

Hi Matt,
Absolutely gutting mate. Mate well impressed with your attitude and drive to get it sorted. I would probably shut it in a garage and leave it for 6 months and sulk for a bit.

As someone said above worth the trip to MSD for finishing work. I am happy with the work Stu and the team did on my cossie. That was running in and mapping a fresh built engine to with sorting the usual teething issues out along the way. You get good tea to.
keep up the good work.
Old 28-01-2019 | 02:28 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by Mad_Mat
Hi Matt,
Absolutely gutting mate. Mate well impressed with your attitude and drive to get it sorted. I would probably shut it in a garage and leave it for 6 months and sulk for a bit.

As someone said above worth the trip to MSD for finishing work. I am happy with the work Stu and the team did on my cossie. That was running in and mapping a fresh built engine to with sorting the usual teething issues out along the way. You get good tea to.
keep up the good work.
thanks mate ..it's just how my mindset has worked and going forward is the best option .

Yea I've used MSD for nearly 16 years ..I'll get the car sorted and take it up for final run in and map .
Old 28-01-2019 | 05:03 PM
boost monster

I really thought it was going to be okay but the metal particles have unfortunately proved me wrong. I’m glad you are still motivated.
The untidy wiring and damage to your vent is unacceptable and the reason I would never leave the boost monster in someone else’s care and a factor in why I’ve still not fitted EFI to mine yet.
Old 28-01-2019 | 09:47 PM
Rsmat
300+

Thanks everyone for the info and advice ..had another push on it tonight a few lads popped round and we got stuck in with getting all the bits off ready to lift ..and working out how to fit the compbrake bias box .

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.-lfncjn6.jpg

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.-yloaxyh.jpg

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.-ipvoykj.jpg

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.-oe1msb5.jpg

Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.-ouhsdzs.jpg
Old 29-01-2019 | 04:36 AM
bluntys1rsturbo
Boost addict

Originally Posted by tejy
Hi Matt, sorry to hear about the loss of oil pressure. I too know the feeling of an engine dying... I'm on engine number 5 .. Just remember to never give up; you've come so far with the whole project. The car is still looking stunning even if it doesn't run (its still a shonky ford but we love our shonky fords )... It WILL be worth it in the end! As for the loom, did you want to retain all of the MFI wiring? Its really not that hard to remove the MFI wiring, should that be what you want to do. All you need to do is unwrap the loom that is no longer needed and just cut as far back as you can, then retape it. Also maybe something to think about.. Add a knock sensor to your ecu.. Why did you have it on the rollers if the engine wasn't bedded in? It just doesn't make any sense.. After all the hard work you have done I would recommend before you get it on the rollers again to get some mileage down off boost. Sounds like the tuners didn't know what they were doing if they did 12 runs at 1 bar boost without running the engine in first, sounds like a recipe for disaster IMO. We live and we learn hey. You weren't to know that the the bung would have popped out, I don't think anyone could have anticipated that. At least this is an extremely valuable lesson to be learned. Rather have an issue on a rollers than blowing up an engine and getting into an accident on the roads. Keep your head up, back to the drawing board, with the necessary adjustments you'll come back bigger and better. As for the broken vent, if you go on eBay there's a few for sale. Good luck and keep the updates coming!
i can answer one of your main points/questions here

with regards to the running in of the engine, mat had instructed and agreed with the tuner to have it ran in on the rollers before giving it any boost etc, this was obviously not done which again is piss poor and neglegent imo
Old 29-01-2019 | 05:48 AM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

It's just unreal that I've seen it said recently thiers no needs for big miles on running in when did this change? What is the reason for lower miles these days? When Ahmed built my 1900 yes a long time ago he put it on a basic map hardly any boost and told me to come back in a thousand miles time I drove it from the south coast to the north coast and back plenty of stretching the engine not holding at a set speed then went back for boost just seems odd
Old 29-01-2019 | 06:44 AM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by smiley
It's just unreal that I've seen it said recently thiers no needs for big miles on running in when did this change? What is the reason for lower miles these days? When Ahmed built my 1900 yes a long time ago he put it on a basic map hardly any boost and told me to come back in a thousand miles time I drove it from the south coast to the north coast and back plenty of stretching the engine not holding at a set speed then went back for boost just seems odd

I'm not sure myself ..was told that a well built engine with the right running in oil will bed the rings in a matter of a few miles / heat cycles by a few good people ..I think this time I'd like to run it in myself for a few 100 miles at least with a run in map.
Old 29-01-2019 | 08:08 AM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Yeah deffo mate for your own peace of mind I know Ahmed was always safety in mind when I asked him about the yb build for the focus he wasn't keen to go over 600 for reliability reasons I guess they all had have thier own methods aye.
Old 29-01-2019 | 09:36 AM
Rsmat
300+

Yeah deffo mate for your own peace of mind I know Ahmed was always safety in mind when I asked him about the yb build for the focus he wasn't keen to go over 600 for reliability reasons I guess they all had have thier own methods aye.

100% mate ..I'll nurse it this time well before boost .
Old 29-01-2019 | 11:28 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

I didn't do that many miles iirc with my R32 on new tr racing engine I'm sure it was under 1000 miles, it only needs bedding in doesn't take long
Rsmat (29-01-2019)
Old 29-01-2019 | 11:30 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

I've been reliably informed 600 hp is the limit for reliability under sustained abuse, above that needs some operator sympathy
Rsmat (29-01-2019)
Old 29-01-2019 | 12:01 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Lol you would know mate
Rsmat (29-01-2019)
Old 29-01-2019 | 01:07 PM
jessie_rs

exactly that mate. All of mine and friends race engines are run in like that. Sorry to hear of the issues, on home builds your going to be experience some teething issues. I think also 200 miles to be run on a rolling road is unrealistic.
Rsmat (29-01-2019)
Old 29-01-2019 | 01:54 PM
Rsmat
300+

Originally Posted by jessie_rs
exactly that mate. All of mine and friends race engines are run in like that. Sorry to hear of the issues, on home builds your going to be experience some teething issues. I think also 200 miles to be run on a rolling road is unrealistic.

yea the miles are irrelevant I'm sure it was ok ..it was my error with the bung that killed it ..no big deal ..off to be sorted then I'll 're fit and run it in.

Quick Reply: Rosso red Rs turbo build and progress.