Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

supercharged puma - 26/03 rolling road + engine rebuild woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Churtz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Eaton m45 will create all of its boost by 3k on that engine. Them ebgines have quite a big crank pulley, so it spins the charger up to speed pretty quick. I used to run an M45 on a 2.0 blacktop, then moved to M62 as I wanted more boost. Where did you put you 2nd throttle? On a supercharged engine, you need to throttle the supercharger.. If you leave the TB in the position it is, the supercharger is trying to create full boost all the time, makes progressive accel a bit stuttery. Either have 1 TB infront in the charger which gives slightly less throttle response, or 2 TBs (original location and in front of sc)

Matt
Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers guys. Yes Glenn the engine itself is bog standard. It goes well, much quicker than before, it's the response that's the most impressive thing, from about 2k there's instant grunt, enough to spin the tyres up in 2nd.

I havnt fitted a 2nd throttle body. Obviously under deceleration for example, the blower will be pumping air at the engine even though the throttle is closed. That's why I've fitted a recirculating dump valve to return air from after the intercooler to between the MAF and the intake for the blower. Seems to run ok other than a very slight cough when changing gear on full chat, I suspect that's fueling though.

Last edited by xr-stu; 04-12-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Very cool matey. I wouldnt mind a go out in it.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:04 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

cheers mate, if the opportunity ever arose youd be welcome to a go out it in!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Mister G
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome!
Old 05-12-2013, 05:19 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by xr-stu
cheers mate, if the opportunity ever arose youd be welcome to a go out it in!
Thanks for the offer. Hardly any people from up in the north east come on here.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:58 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well since my last update i hadnt done a great deal other than tinker with the fueling until this weekend. got it running a bit leaner, on full chat its now in the 11s which seems more reasonable, and on the cruise its high 12s. ive got a slight flat/lean spot up until 3k under full throttle but the simple solution for now is to drop a cog before i boot it. im planning on faffing about with it this weekend though, bringing the 5th injector in earlier and and increasing the duration, then dropping the fuel pressure slightly. we'll see.

anyway last weekend i had the engine out and replaced the crunchy gearbox, clutch & slave cylinder and timing belt. i also changed the aux belt idler pulley and water pump as the bearings felt a bit rough, and the aux belt tensioner as a matter of course, all in the hopes of shutting up an annoying rattle ive had since i bought the car, which has gotten slightly worse recently. i noticed there seemed to be alot of movement forward and backward in the crank when i was removing the pulley though, which worried me slightly... after getting the engine back in, the rattle is still there so im assuming its the crank which is the issue new engine time then.

im on the lookout for a replacement engine to drop in next moth, then planning on doing some mild DIY porting to the head from my current engine in time, which will go on with a copper headgasket as some stage. ive just bagged a new intercooler from a mk4 golf turbo for Ł13 on ebay! slightly bigger and better layout than the ERST jobbie im using at the minute, which will hopefully allow it to breathe better. at the minute the throttle response isnt the best compared to what it was, making heel toeing a bit trickier. hopefully having fewer bends in the plumbing, aswell as slightly bigger diameter hoses will help.

thoughts and sugestions welcomed as always!!

also got a 390mm saxo rad and slimline fan, to give me more room for the new I/C, and ive got a few other little jobs to do like stiffening the engine mounts up with polyurethane, welding a new 2.25" downpipe to the ashley manifold, (its currently 2", into a 2 1/8" flexi, into the 2.25" FRST system) which should free up the breathing a bit too. then some general tinkering.

hoping to have the car on track a couple of times this summer, if i can get all that work done in time ive got a week off towards the end of march, hoping to get a day in then!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:05 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Sounds good matey. Are you enjoying driving it.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:15 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

besides the lack of heater (in this weather!!) and not being 100% confident that nothings gonna drop off yet - yes

in fairness the only issues ive had are a boost hose and vacum pipe popping off and the new aux belt tensioner being slightly different, causing the pulley to rub on the subframe - 20mm shorter belt sorted that. ive probabaly done about 500-600miles on it so far and alot of them have been hard ones, so not too bad i dont think! ill be happier when after the next little lot of work is done.

its a fucking good laugh to drive though, not the quickest thing in the world obviously but on a spirited A road drive its awesome.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:18 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

oh and i had a bit of fun with an insignia VXR along a nice A road yesterday, but when i pulled up next to it at a junction i noticed the rear facing camera in the back... the 2 coppers in the front did NOT look as impressed as i was that i kept up with them
Old 27-03-2014, 04:26 AM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well! i took the car on a local rolling road on saturday, my mate had commented on how it felt slower than before, and it was making little or no boost pressure. it made 129bhp upon getting it back to the garage and having a poke about, it turns out the problem was im a retard id changed the vacuum feed to the dumpvalve and boost switch and put in a small joiner, which i didnt realise was from a washer jet pipe and had a none return valve and was holding the dumpvalve open!

had the car back on the rollers on wednesday, showing 3/4psi it made 155bhp and 144lb/ft. ill get a picture of the graph up at some stage, the power curve is spot on, really smooth and still climbing at the limiter which is nice. the torque curve shows the slight flatspot ive got but isnt too bad at all really.

i know its the standard 'go to' line but the rollers genuinely seem to under read. on the day my mates E46 325 is 190ish from the factory and made 173. another friends 3.2 audi a3 which is 256 from factory, plus a remap, made 216! and in the past, weve had an s2000 be down 30bhp, and very quick MR2 turbo and MX5 turbo make less than expected, at 238 and 172. we recon between 10-12% under actual figures working off a rule of thumb, so if so mine should be around the 170 ball park which seems reasonable. either way, the arse dyno never lies, and its saying its pretty quick

ive had a few days in the workshop this week, spent 2 days sorting the stripped down loom of my mates puma, refitting whats left of the dash (his is even smaller than mine) and finishing welding up the floor, rear sills and one rear arch replacement. so mines taken a back seat.

did a mock up of the new saxo radiator and mk4 golf intercooler. got a couple of bits of silicone and some joiners to order to fit that new setup. got a mondeo V6 throttle body properly fitted to my spare manifold, and ported the opening to suit. thats ready to go on the car now but i need the correct TPS plug to wire into my car. cant fit the puma TPS as the throttle plates rotate the wrong way unfortunatly. will probably wait to fit that lot with the new engine ive got to go in, along with the M62 and megasquirt.

on the subject of the new engine, i picked up the rebuilt parts on wednesday afternoon and set about rebuilding the engine wednesday night. got it stripped down, and discovered a few of the big ends showing signs of wear. fitted the new main bearings without a hitch but the big ends turned out to be wrong. ive been supplied 40mm bearings which according to a quick google search seem to be what the engines meant to run, however my crank has 42mm big end journals... i took them back to eurocarparts and they are the only size their catalogues list, as do most suppliers i looked at from the google search. ive got the number for the product manager at the eurocarparts HQ in london so im going to speak to him, and do a bit more research online. seems very odd though. its an MHA engine from an early/pre facelift car, so if anyone can shed any light on that itd be greatly appreciated....

im off to the usa in a few hours (pulling an all nighter tonight so i can kip on the plane!) so the car will be untouched for the next few weeks but im planning on smuggling the supercharger, megasquirt and a few other bits and pieces back with me, so will be plenty to do when i get back!
Old 27-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Lol at the screen washer pipe and the vxr.

170bhp will be ok in a puma. Does it wanna spin the wheels much then.
Old 27-03-2014, 07:30 AM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah it goes well. Would be very easy to get Into big trouble. Isn't too bad for grip in the dry, in the wet it will spin in 2nd unless being quite careful feeding the power in.
Old 27-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure why you bother with using rollers that you dont believe, lol

Got an AFR plot at least so it wasnt a total waste of money?
Old 29-03-2014, 05:09 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well i didn't know it under read until the 2nd time I took it on there, my mate with the BMW started telling us how he thought it under read based on the other cars that our group of mates had ran on it before and then low and behold it reads low for the BMW and an Audi. Unfortunately, im not psychic, soooo... Lol

And no, annoyingly I didn't get an afr printout. Won't be going back there though. The guy with the Audi took his somewhere else in the week, not sure where but apparently try we're a lot more helpful and professional. Forget hat it made but it was closer to the quoted factory figures
Old 29-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

glad you made it to the US safely.

Nice to see it making more power now after a simple fix. Should be fun with the M62.
Old 30-03-2014, 07:45 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers mate, my bags got left in Chicago but thy were delivered the next day so no biggie.

Had a look at the m62 when I goy here, it looks good, pretty clean with no wear on the rotors or play in the bearings. It should be much better than the m45. The pulley is a simple bolt on jobbie rather than the press fit pulley on the m45, which will mean I can swap pulleys much easier. Looking forward to getting it on! Going to be interesting to see what boost it'll make and what kind of power I can ring out of it!

Last edited by xr-stu; 31-03-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 31-03-2014, 06:20 AM
wide ka
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good results!

for engine bearing contact shawspeed or lighting motorsport