Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

my evo 5 rebuild, cossie on hold :(

Search this Thread

Old 24-01-2013, 07:49 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah totally different

evo 5 dash looks like this

evo 9 which is what im fitting looks like this

only thing ill be using i smy digital hearter display, where ill modify the new dash so it can be housed at the bottom, so then i can have a double din stereo in place

Last edited by xr4x4rs; 24-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 24-01-2013, 07:53 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

cool I new what the evo 9 one was like as mate has one just not seen the evo5 item ,cool mod will look trick when finished
Old 25-01-2013, 11:21 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

bit more done

made some brackets so the dash bolts up better, the downside is im working with a twisted dash as it was involved in a side impact as the glovebox doesnt close, so ive managed to short of re twist the dash with the brackets, the glovebox still rubs slightly, so will need trimming, and the drivers side panel is just off by a couple mm, but its virtually in now

so location pins, i dont know how the newer cars mount at the top, what i did was turn the brackets around so they slide onto the pins, the centre i made a bracket up so it slots on, ill use some sort of clip in the centre so the dash doesnt move forwards and backwards, as there is no way of actually bolting the dash at the top

side brackets as ill bolt it to the side, i have to start these again as welded them in the wrong place lol

centre bracket, i had to chop up the e5 mounts and make stuff to get this to work, added some threaded bar to give it strength, as its this bracket that sorts the twist out in the dash, ive had to use what i had lying around as my bank card snapped and having to wait for new one i cant get supplies lol

glovebox mount

all fitted

so ill remake the brackets tomorrow, have a look into bolting the top of the dash down if i can, then its just trimming and shaping and we should be there, waiting on my centre console as well, when my card turns up ill try and get some cheap door cards
Old 26-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Wow the dash looks well. Looks like a lot of work to get the dash fitted.
Old 26-01-2013, 11:50 AM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Glenn_
Wow the dash looks well. Looks like a lot of work to get the dash fitted.
its not that bad, i think whats going to be a pain is the heater pipes
Old 27-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

What about getting the heater controls to work.Will that be a pain too.
Old 27-01-2013, 02:05 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

no as ill be using my heater controls which is a digital display, ill mould it in the bottom where the later ones should be, that way i dont have to mess around with wiring or sensors on heater boxes

the heater pipes have caused some major issues though

had to cut them virtually in half to clear brackets, which is easy enough to repair, the windscreen vens had to mod my panel which will need gluing in

the dashboard has had to move forward to line up with the vents, so eed to make new brackets now, but gonna need door cards to get everything to match

hopefully by next weekend the dash will be in bolted up etc, and then i can start shaping it

Last edited by xr4x4rs; 27-01-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 27-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Kin hell Rich, going for it mate

Great idea pal
Old 27-01-2013, 11:00 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

couple of pics to give an idea of what im going to do, i need to go buy a new vice tomorrow as i snapped mine in half lol, so going to get a sheet metal bender as well, some metal which ill get some 4/5mm bars as well to make the main dash supports, as come up with another idea lol, and get some nuts and bolts

heres what ive done so far with new ideas

i fitted the back seats as i need something comfy to sit on lol, so took a pic of how it would look from the back

heres the buts in the original bracket, there in solid, but ill resin them in to make sure, original i had the bolt comming through, so it was like a stud comming through the bulkhead, i dont know if i should continue with this method or not

tacked some little bracket for the mounts so it sits ontop of them, ill need to add another one to stop the dash being pulled forward aswell

bolted through

this one you can see why i need to add a stop bracket so it sits flush against

now i can only bolt the dash up just off the outer centre, so the top sides there is no where to bolt or even to make anything up for it to slot into and lock in, so ive made some tabs which ive tacked in and the dash will rest on these, i have to add strengthening as these need to be bent into shape first as with the heater pipes in the dash sits slightly higher and i need to get it flat and staight all round

ill make the other side tomorrow, im hoping to have a good day on all the brackets if i get my materials
Old 27-01-2013, 11:14 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 118 Likes on 110 Posts

Great work .love it
Old 29-01-2013, 10:41 AM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

not done anything today, been rushed off my feet

i did go to get my bits only when i got there to realise my car hasnt been activated lol, so tomorrow now

but managed to get my wood to build a little work bench for the new vice, also put a side board up to try and stop grinding sparks going on my dads mobility scooter lol

oh and the centre console arrived, so had to try it, the fit is very well which im surprised at, its close to the dash but it clears, just need to make brackets up to hold it in place, downside, have to move the g sensors or lower them down, and e5 handbrake doesnt fit,so looking at getting a 7/8/9 one to mod to fit as there a different angle, anyone have one let me know

console its self will just need a slight trim on the front part where it bolts down to the floor, other than that fits like a glove

just need my door cards to turn up now and i have almost everything to have a later interior in bar seats
Old 29-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Acidburn
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good, any idea when you will have this done and are you upping power at the same time?
Old 29-01-2013, 03:00 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

no idea, if i can get it done for summer id be happy, or at least end of the year before winter

yeah ill be upping the power, but will sort that out when the time comes, gona get the dash in this week for sure, as ive just worked out how to go about it

next week ill order parts from dealer so i can start getting the car rolling

if i can get the bodywork done for end of march ill be happy, as then its just interior and engine to sort
Old 29-01-2013, 03:27 PM
craigfocus
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can i just which wheels they are the awesome, good luck with the rebuild
Old 29-01-2013, 03:43 PM
RSRick3290
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just read through this amazing build, good work
Old 29-01-2013, 04:08 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by craigfocus
can i just which wheels they are the awesome, good luck with the rebuild

wheels were innovit/asuka racing st15 9.5x18 et20, though there not going to be wide enough for the new arches when ive finished
Old 29-01-2013, 11:25 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

as said got my materials today

first thing bolt the new vice and test the sheet metal bender, which will do later on when i make the bottom brackets for the dash

so i looked at the back of the dash today, and becuase ive had to move it forward i had enough room to use the original clips as im not running the side window vent pipes, so i screwed these into what ever hole i had there, ill have to make a plate up to hold them secure but thats the easy part

so how to get top sides of the dash holding up, well i used some angle iron, a bolt which i sanded down so it just locks into the plastic clip and a nut welded on and ended up with this

added side strengthening due to the bottom not touching the bulkead as i had to guess all measurements

will grind the welds down tomorrow, but also tack the bolts into the nut as well

here you can see how its held up

it doesnt pull away very easily but does come out which is good, plus the two centre bolts through the bulkhead and ill add a bracket to the centre to keep it sitting flush and screw it there as well so thats the top done almost

once ive done that ill start on the frame and brackets for the bottom half and then the dash should be finished bar trimming for a pillars then shaping to suit
Old 30-01-2013, 10:23 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

well my Ł4 door cards turned up lol, so first thing i did was take a look on they fit, well they didnt, becuase the door card rises at the front meant my dash was too low, and becuase my dash was moved back from chopping, nothing lined up, so i chopped the front section of the card off to get it to fit which it sort of does, but as you can see i need to re shape the complete card, bascially chopping the front section off and making my own, should be fun, so i left that for now but its possible i can get them to work, but they will look different to normal later cars

so i started on my brackets on the glove box side, the std bracket for the 5 was just a flimsy piece of metal that i could bend easily, well ididnt want my dash moving about, so i made these out of 2mm plate with strengtheners added so it didnt move

fitted, using the original holes for the old bracket

then it was for the other side, what ive done is made a bracket that comes straight down off the support bar behind the dash, ive made the bar so its removeable from the welded bracket, incase i need to get the heater matrix out all brackets need to be removable, plus if the car was ever converted back to e5 it can be easily without this lot in the way

so the start of the bracket, again even thicker metal used as i cant have any supports on this piece

fitted

removed

but i added the support piece to it, and ive snapped the bolt trying to undo it, so i need to re sort the captive out, but also forgot at the glove box stopper, so i need to make some mods need the top for the glove box to clear when its closed, that will be done tomorrow

so tomorrow, drivers side brackets, middle bracket piece re made, mod glove box bracket to clear, and support brackets for bolt the top of the dash, hopefully it will be fully secured then
Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 AM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

well what a day ive had, first thing i did was get my bike running as it hasnt been ran since last year and ill be using this soon i think

after that everything just went down hill, for some reason i ended up dropping everything for no reason just no co-ordination, cups of tea, even missed the fridge putting the milk away, i knew it was going to be one of those days, but nothing as i was expecting

so dash brackets was my goal today lol, first off the glovebox bracket need chopping to get the glovebox to fit, that ended up in a great big ball of fire, the grinding sparks ignited my bolts that were in panel wipe, i forgot to take them out and put them in another bucket, my workbench was then on fire, so i had to use a fire extingusiher, so white powder everywhere

so after that i cleaned up moved bolts i another bucket no liquid and carried on, it caught fire again from the panel wipe that had soaked in the wood, this time i had no extinguisher, i burnt my hand from grabbing the bucket that was on fire (metal handle) i just let it burn its self off, keeping a close eye on it, and all was good this time

so after i started the brackets at last, first bracket was the centre one needed redoing

before and after

all finished

glove box bracket modified

drivers side dash bracket all in

other driver side bracket

fitted and bolted up

how the dash was looking

middle side bracket, removeable like all the others

clock pad bracket

side cover fitted, can see how much i need to add onto the dash as i chopped way to much off

the dash is now solid, if i shake the dash the car shakes, and i still havent finished mounting points yet lol

last pic with glove box and drivers cover in, you can see on the second pic how off the steering is due to later models having the steering moved over and theres no way i can move it over without redesigning the complete dash bar, which im not going to do

so hopefully tomorrow, the dash will be fully bolted in fully, only have the other side mount to do, then sort the bulkhead bolts out to bolt it all up
Old 01-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Lol at setting fire to you bench.It could of be worse though.top work though matey.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

well all that work just ended up in a huge fire ball

god knows whats going on with my bad luck

i cracked on got all the brackets finished, and all i had to do was tack two bolts in bulkhead, so moved the dash out the way slightly as i need it still in position, tacked them all fine, phone rang turned round and cars in flames

its took out the dash, the heater box, and possibly the loom

pics

the passenger side bracket, which i added onto the bottom glove box bracket

then disaster as i tacked the last bolt into place

i dont know wether to cry, scrap the car or start again, becuase this has really pissed me off
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM
DANNY - PH400
WOSRSOC MEMBER

Awwwwwwww mate, absolutely gutted for you, been keeping a close eye on this build, it's easier said than done but try n keep your chin up, car was stunning before and i sincerely hope you get it the way you want with no more dramas,
Good luck with the rest of your build bud
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

You've done loads in a small amount of time and done it well.

Take it as a time out rather than scrap etc.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 PM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

You seem to have about as much luck as i do

Man up and get past it
Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

buy a fire blanket mate great bit of kit ,shame but sure the old dash would slot in
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 PM
SMILER258
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Mint work, looks all bufty haha
Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

well just bought a heater box, and in talks of another dash the way ive done it i can remove the brackets and fit a std dash anyhow which i still have

not given up just yet, gonna clean the car tomorrow and crack on again, hopefully now my luck will turn round on it lol
Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 PM
DANNY - PH400
WOSRSOC MEMBER

that's the spirit mate
Old 02-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Dan j
Van modder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well take the 1st dash as a trial one.. the next dash you will know what needs doing and wont chop to much off. Love the work by the way love the older evos takes me back to 1st playing gran turismo as a kid haha.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

today was start getting the car back to metal inside and get all the powder out of everywhere, i polished the engine bay as well, even though its all dusty again lol

some pics though

everything removed from the inside, so now even the inside brackets and bolts are going to be all nice and clean and powdercoated when finished lol

bay all polished again

and half back to metal, can only do so much as all my wire wheels are scrap, so will get more tomorrow, cant get into all the awkward places due to the dash bar being in the way though

forgot to get a pic of where im at now, so will do it when i go back in garage later

also i need a full interior loom and a engine loom, so all that re wiring i dont i have to do again, but this week the inside will all be painted and laquered as well as rust bullet and sealed, then ill sound deaden the whole floor and bulkead, as id lik ethe inside of the cabin to be as quiest as possible from the exhaust, but doubtful with a nur spec r lol
Old 03-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Acidburn

good progress mate
Old 03-02-2013, 09:29 PM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Glad to see you've not given up
Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Rich, just an idea, would you not be better off fitting the standard dash and then lay the new dash over the top, cutting off any bits off the old dash to get I to sit right then bond it with adhesive?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:27 PM
andym

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuck me, you don't have a lot of luck
Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Twellsie
Rich, just an idea, would you not be better off fitting the standard dash and then lay the new dash over the top, cutting off any bits off the old dash to get I to sit right then bond it with adhesive?
no mate, no physical way of doing it like that, i did try that first lol

well my new dash will be here this week, ive sourced a complete loom aswell just got to go get it

the floor is back to metal now and ill start the welding tomorrow, at the mnin im just cleaning and painting all the brackets that ended up turning to rust
Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

got the inside back to metal today, ordered some rust bullet, so hopefully thats here tomorrow

will do welding tomorrow as i need to apply rust bullet to the hole i found in the floor

anyhow some pics

the hole hidden under sound deadening

added a bit of paint where the wiper mech is

my rear arm bracket had two snapped bolts, was trying to find another, so chopped the captives off and welded new ones on, well a captive and a nut as i had no m8 captives

also been cleaning and painting the inside brackets because they had gone rusty as i spilt vinegar on them all so they flash rusted

cleaned

no pics of painted parts yet as there drying, also doing the foot pedals as well with what ever paint i have

dash has been sourced which should be here this week, loom as been sourced as well, just need to get a car to go get it as my mondeo isnt starting and i only have my bike lol

im just going to noddy can the inside to save on masking up as well

more tomorrow

Last edited by xr4x4rs; 04-02-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:27 AM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

well becuase im bored and cant sleep, i went and assembled my clutch pedal, its been stripped cleaned and painted and re greased, and i even got the dremel out and polished the foot pedal lol, all this for stuff your not going to see, ocd maybe?

it used to look like the others, so ill do these tomorrow lol

and the brackets that go behind the dash all painted, one black one as ran out of silver lol

Old 05-02-2013, 05:50 AM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 118 Likes on 110 Posts

Yikes cant believe your luck with the fires
Old 05-02-2013, 05:59 AM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

In the garage at 1 o'clock on a schik night
Dont you work?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

lol, i dont work mate, haven't for a long time, though this year was suppose to be me looking at setting my own place up doing car restorations etc, mainly fords, but with the shit start, ive decided to just carry with my own cars for now, and then sort a new plan out to set up on my own and try and do it for a living

Quick Reply: my evo 5 rebuild, cossie on hold :(