Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

sierra cosworth 3 door 4x4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 16-06-2012, 07:51 PM
tonysierra4x4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sierra cosworth 3 door 4x4 conversion

hi all, this is the shell i intend to turn into 4 wheel drive everyday runaround for myself and my son,(19). it is a 1984 1.6 base shell but has got the makings of a very good replica. it will be fitted with 2.9 running gear from xr4x4.everything else will be genuine cosworth as after buying some rep parts, found they looked crap. it is basically a practice run for genuine shell which will be fitted with all running gear from saff cossie 4x4. the reason for 4 wheel drive is i have never wanted to enter a roundabout sideways. plus i work in agriculture so if i feel the need to "check" something on the other side of a field i can, very carefully of course.
Attachment 2444
the shell is pretty solid overall and one of the best i travelled to see over several months. not in excellent condition but pretty good for it's age. it is already fitted with bronzed glass so should look better than most reps i've seen with clear. the engine bay has been sprayed in primer but rust is coming through so this along with the underside and wheel arches, plus the inner wings are booked in for sand blasting next weekend. new wings were fitted to the car when i bought it, but by the look of the welding it was not done properly so off with them. i have purchased new wings ready for fitting afterwards so hopefully it will be fully stripped and should be ready by then, time allowing.
Attachment 2445
several parts have already been bought including an unmarked dash and steering wheel. a complete interior including all sound deadening and a very good condition headlining which so far has been hardest part to track down. 5 decent alloys with locks and key and some other goodies which will set the car off.
Attachment 2447
Attachment 2448
Attachment 2446
Attachment 2449
car has now been moved off front lawn (or what was once a lawn and now a patch of soil) and taken to my newly acquired workshop to strip ready for sand blasting. this should keep half my neighbours happy. i say half as nearly all ladies of a certain age looked at it and thought i had turned our street into a scrap yard, and the other half, let's say gentlemen of the same sort of age who stopped and commented how nice it was to see a cosworth,"good car that mate, and a real classic". i am sure we all know both groups.
sierra cosworth 3 door 4x4 conversion-cos-dash-gar.jpg

sierra cosworth 3 door 4x4 conversion-cos-rear-gar.jpg

sierra cosworth 3 door 4x4 conversion-cos-drive-cill.jpg

sierra cosworth 3 door 4x4 conversion-cos-pass-cill.jpg
i don't know much about computers except how to spend money on ebay (according to the one who must be obeyed) so wether pics come out right i can't say. if not i will get a mate around to sort this for me. i will take more pics and update as soon as blasted. thinking about it the car should have no paint on now as i don't know how many times the mrs has commented on "that blasted car".
other parts have been sourced thanks to gary at rs classics including my new windscreen which never made it home due to a rear end shunt by a lovely, carefull driver on my way home. it didn't even make it into wales in one piece. i have asked him to source another one, and maybe this time i'll bring a mate to drive behind as protection!!!!!
bye for now and more updates as soon as i have them.