Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

500+hp Capri. but with one SMALL difference..

Search this Thread

Old 13-01-2012, 08:06 PM
PileOfRust
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh my god
Old 13-01-2012, 08:13 PM
PileOfRust
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by LUCIFER-V12
i chose this merc purely because i needed a suspension setup, engine and all other components, all matching, along with the entire floor plan of the car - to withstand sheer weight and be capable of living with my rough driving and whenever some git decides the will drive into me - they will end up much worse off. so hence the 3, 4 and 5mm thick steel bumpers and crossmembers (i guess 'rollcage' and strengtheners) that will be part of his construction. not to mention the extra body plates here and there so far a minimum of 2mm.
how much will it weigh with all this strengthening stuff? will need alot of power to move
Old 13-01-2012, 08:35 PM
gordyshreds
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome project always good to see someone doing 100% what they want regardless of what anyone else thinks! Are you doing all the body swap fabrication yourself? If you complete the car and pull it off i reckon it'l be a demon!
Old 13-01-2012, 08:39 PM
cossiegreg1
PassionFord Post Troll

fuck me thats gash
Old 13-01-2012, 09:21 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

yeah well, that is why i chose a 6 v12. 2.2 tonnes already! i needed an engine with the suspension to match that i know wont struggle in the slightest with regards to weight. i can add a little more than 2.2 tonne if needed - which is good. ok, this limo isnt a sports car nor am i wanting to turn it into one, id settle for keeping that engine how it is now as it already is more than enough for what i need in life. but that is the sole purpose of me grabbing this car. its used to pulling fat blokes with all their bloody golf gear in it too! hehehe, and on time

yes i intend to do as much as my little body can physically cope with. to be fair i have only had proper help from a guy when it came to (quickly, cos i had to drive the car to and from work like!) in swapping the pinto engines over when i blew the orignal up one monday morning! he had a crane and he had done those jobs lots of times. im still a learner despite haveing gone to college for 2 yrs. self taught me. i weld, grind, (paint and finish for what that was worth im bloody useless there) i rewired the car, rebuilt the original engine several times in just two years, i make from scratch, i redesign and i follow my scrappy scribbles cos i dont have the braincells for this CAD and what not - i dont do maths! so...

i stripped to a bare shell the capri when i got him, and rebuilt himto get him legal, just, to use him cos he had nowhere to go. never had a garage n lots of tools but i did borrow a dirty old shed to rob a genny to quickly mould him back into a legal thing. aint much i dont do. i hate elctronics but id rather fuck about with it than open a gearbox or back axle! those i DO NOT do at all.

ill only pat myself on the back if i manage to pull it off and end up with what i want to end up with! if not ill just say 'bolloxs' and revert to plan B.

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 13-01-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 13-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Isaac.Hunt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  25.9 KB

Jesus fucking Christ!!! The size difference between the two. That Capri is going to take some stretching. Out of curiosity, who is going to be doing the bodywork?

me. out of metal with just a few skims of compound to take the edge off for mots.
Yeah, just a few skims, nothing too excessive

Name:  Capri6.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  113.9 KB

Name:  bootlid2.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  107.9 KB

Seriously, good on you for having a go at it but you need to find a new hobby. I just hope to God you're not doing any structural welding on this "project", I can only imagine the end result.

Last edited by Isaac.Hunt; 13-01-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 13-01-2012, 09:41 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

look here 'pal'. the only reason there is any paint or any of the compounds on it, is purely, one, to stop rust while i drive the damn thing every day! and two, to stop MR plod OR mr MOT man saying - ooh sharp welding there, or a jaggy edge. that is all. i have far too much to do still to worry about a paint job or perfecting blemishes just yet.

the last time i had left welding on show when i stuck a panel on the fuzz pulled me over and told me to re-mot it! so i dont give them ammunition now, i do the welding and then quickly cover the bastard over to 'not disturb the peace'

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 13-01-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 13-01-2012, 09:47 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

now i have a plan and when i can take the car off the road and buy a THIRD CAR to use all the while the capri is finally being put into gear, ill have a garage and all the time in the world to get all the temporary paint and compounds off, do the welding and alterations, and THEN think about a proper finish to the body.
nothing wrong with a LOGICAL order of jobs..

by any chance does your 'name' warn us of what you are in some witty way?

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 13-01-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 13-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

This is going to end up like that MKII Fiesta thread by that young lad Leeds rhino or what ever
Old 13-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Isaac.Hunt

look here 'pal'. the only reason there is any paint or any of the compounds on it, is purely, one, to stop rust while i drive the damn thing every day! and two, to stop MR plod OR mr MOT man saying - ooh sharp welding there, or a jaggy edge. that is all. i have far too much to do still to worry about a paint job or perfecting blemishes just yet.

the last time i had left welding on show when i stuck a panel on the fuzz pulled me over and told me to re-mot it! so i dont give them ammunition now, i do the welding and then quickly cover the bastard over to 'not disturb the peace'
I assume when you say "compounds" are mean body filler? If so body filler is porous, it will not stop anything from rusting.

The reason why you got told to re-mot your car when the Police saw your welding is simple; you're welding is shit.

As I say, I'm not being a cunt here, but if you intend on actually joining those two cars together to make one deformed bastardised creation, being able to weld properly would be a cracking start! Either that or get someone who can weld to do it ... mind that will cost you a fair old amount.

Last edited by Isaac.Hunt; 13-01-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:19 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

yes of course, 'my welding is shit'. silly me. ive welded some crap metals in my short time and yes once or twice ive had more lumps than normal, one was due to the poor quality stuff i was welding with my cheap little gassless welder, and two, i bought some dodgy welding wire that simply wouldnt fuse together took me an hour and 3 attempts at 10cms worth of seam (wont be buying cheap off ebay again thats for sure!). welding in the rain in the middle of winter didnt help much either. cant always be perfect Mr 'i is a cunt'.

shit happens, thats why you grind it down and weld a bit more and repeat again if you have to. if my welding is solid i couldnt care less what it looked like. and it is. there are, funnily enough, a few things i have put on, and i dont like so i will simply cut off and rebuild again in some places. no big deal to me. if you really dislike what i do AND HOW I DO, that much then fuck off. dont look! simple. go away. waste someone elses time. i get my jobs done. MYSELF.

oh yeah, and YOU DO NOT USE FILLER AS A RUST CURE! even i know that! dick. i use it to temporarily smooth over something in a thin layer.

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 13-01-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 13-01-2012, 10:35 PM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

1 st.
i think you need to practice your welding (not having a go)
try switching out to gas on your welder
trust me i have one of those clarke welders and the difference was like day and night.

2nd.
drop the attitude you post your pic's and comments and dont expect negative comments?
everyone is different i get that but you need to take some of the comments with a pinch of salt if your gonna do this car .

there is a welth of knowledge on here and people will help you if you want to learn

But if you just bite all the time whenever someone say's something you dont like then you'll attract people that will jump on the band wagon just to wind you up.

Old 13-01-2012, 10:57 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

tell you what, ill change this post here entirely...

i draw the line at some clown INSULTING ME, even if it was 3 times in one post.
then i get told I am the one with an attitude problem by not taking that kind of bollocks toward me lying down.

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 14-01-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 13-01-2012, 11:53 PM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Take note of the welding tips (get some gas) it will make a massive bifference to the quality of your welding.
Old 14-01-2012, 12:02 AM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Why would you take capri, make it heavier and less aerodynamic, thus slower, and make it look hideous aswell? They look lovely with a few choice mods usually!

Best thing you could do is cut the thing up, weigh it in, and drive the merc about!
Old 14-01-2012, 12:20 AM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

first post - yes i know gas is better... but this welder is all i can afford for the time being (only cos it was a birthday prezzie!! hahaha). not great but so far is has barely done good enough for these minor jobs...

second post... which im not gonna do.

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 14-01-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 14-01-2012, 12:30 AM
mgtkr1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

for structual welding gas is a must. a gasless is ok for the odd bracket but the end result for a given skill is night and day as someone said. this could go either way. it could be a car that looks/drives worse and as a result be slower than a skoda estelle or it could be a radical project with mad max type design cues. its brave , whatever the outcome, theres gonna be pisstaking but something that out there, thats inevitable. id tonre down the bodystyling personally but thats not my buisness. theres some clever lads on here who can give somwe good pointers, take the critisism on board, its sometimes constructive
Old 14-01-2012, 12:31 AM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

first post - yes i know gas is better... but this welder is all i can afford for the time being (only cos it was a birthday prezzie!! hahaha). not great but so far is has barely done good enough for these minor jobs...

second post... which im not gonna do.

You have'nt gotta change your welder
just buy a gas bottle a different type of wire and a regulator .
Old 14-01-2012, 12:33 AM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mgtkr1
for structual welding gas is a must. a gasless is ok for the odd bracket but the end result for a given skill is night and day as someone said. this could go either way. it could be a car that looks/drives worse and as a result be slower than a skoda estelle or it could be a radical project with mad max type design cues. its brave , whatever the outcome, theres gonna be pisstaking but something that out there, thats inevitable. id tonre down the bodystyling personally but thats not my buisness. theres some clever lads on here who can give somwe good pointers, take the critisism on board, its sometimes constructive

That's what i was trying to say
Old 14-01-2012, 09:34 AM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

no seriously - trust me, I DO NEED TO CHANGE THAT WELDER! hahahaha, its that kind of welder that just , wont be capable of doing the 'varied' thicknesses and yet more quality of metal mixed welding (ive welded alot of different things to what and the only type that welder is good for is when welding a minimum of 3mm perfect fresh steel to the exact same! that welder is very difficult to weld without spitting and missing at the best of times.). trouble with the welder i got is, its got one switch - too low a power! or far too bloody hi a power! its not good mate. PLUS i will need a gas axe so i will be better off spending a bit more money than ill want to

i dont think my little 115mm angle grinder will be able to cut all that body either! so its not as if i dont already know what ill need.

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 14-01-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 14-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Fiesta_Jed
Regular Contributor

I feel sorry for this capri. It looked like a clean car.

Name:  frontside.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  166.9 KB

Name:  front.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  Firstgothim.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  102.6 KB
Old 14-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Isaac.Hunt

PLUS i will need a gas axe so i will be better off spending a bit more money than ill want to

i dont think my little 115mm angle grinder will be able to cut all that body either! so its not as if i dont already know what ill need.
Forget about Oxyacetylene for cutting unless you're cutting either heavy gauge steel. Just get a either a 9" or 12" grinder for heavier cutting jobs.

O/A will make a horrendous mess in comparison and will be a lot more expensive.
Old 14-01-2012, 11:23 AM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

yeah well put it this way FIESTAJED, that car was 500£ and with a dodgy mot on it for alot of very good reasons!

ahem, i dont trust myself with one of those very large disc cutters! sod that. end up taking a part of me off rather than the car...
Old 14-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Minirotty
Lucifer II - 666

Received 303 Likes on 197 Posts

Still gutted you named this Lucifer

Are you the fat or the skinny one?

Name:  usworkin.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  144.4 KB
Name:  crew2.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  81.4 KB
Old 14-01-2012, 01:15 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

dont even know which one i am? what do you think you numpty?! hahahaha and my car was called lucifer alot earlier than your car buddy..
Old 14-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Minirotty
Lucifer II - 666

Received 303 Likes on 197 Posts

The way in which you reply I imagine you to be the fat one.
Old 14-01-2012, 03:37 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

yes thats right... maybe im one of the many other people in that pic while were at it eh?!

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 14-01-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 14-01-2012, 04:12 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

LOL! Your attitude stinks, and you drive a heap of shit, epic fail!
Old 14-01-2012, 04:28 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're going to widen the bodywork, what windscreen are you going to use?

How will you get round registering it, as it will no longer be a Capri - Q Plate?

If this is what your car looks like, I'd hate to see your house

£20 says that this car never turns a legal wheel with a Merc engine in place. And I WILL honour that bet. Anyone else care to join me?
Old 14-01-2012, 04:35 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Go on then, I'll take you up on that offer dan

But you will have to make sure Simon features it as its his territory

It would be much easier to weld Capri panels to the merc than transplant the engine, I was going to go jagv12 into a sierra but the mechanicals were so bad that it would have taken beefy levels of commitment and time and effort and skillset of everyone involved to get that to fit
Old 14-01-2012, 04:40 PM
dojj

And before anyone says anything, lots of folk said that many many of the things I fitted to various cars wouldn't fit, but they did
With many peeps now offering these things as a readily viable fitting option, 2wd v6 gearbox for example, rear cossie brakes and the like, I could reel off about half a dozen more so it's not impossible
Old 14-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PileOfRust
oh my god
I agree lol
Old 14-01-2012, 04:48 PM
dojj

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11109233...nsplant-by-mkb

http://www.kitcentral.com/index.php?...ewtopic&t=3087
Old 14-01-2012, 04:48 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

post 1 - yes, my attitude stinks because i treat others as they treat me.yes, guilty as charged. and regardless of how many people like or dislike what i do i will still go ahead with the plan.

post 2 -
your right, it SHOULD be easier puting tha capri panels over the engine etc rather than trying to pull the engine etc off and then rearranging the capri to make that fit. and yes ill be using the entire top half of the capri so window and all...
and as for registering it.. i will have to cross that bridge when i come to it. it SHOULD end up labeled a capri with a different engine. but again i dont really know... i have had a look at a few government and vehicle agency stuff, but it really tends to edge toward 'cut n shut' not technically what im doing. ? i think ill have to get the thing built first...

and like you say, it may not work - i may not be able to get the capri (as it is in the very first picture) to remain so... so many differences with this merc. which is why plan B) is if the whole idea simply will not work. no big deal to me if i absolutely cannot get that capri body over the top, i will die trying i reckon! , but i can always put the capri back together and then turn the merc into something else. that too would be interesting..

but who knows eh? i dont know anyone who has done this before to be able to bounce of how they managed it?
Old 14-01-2012, 04:51 PM
surrey_100e
Regular Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

reading this has made me feel a whole load better about my car
Old 14-01-2012, 04:52 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

DOJJ, those links are interesting... but to save myself the trouble of altering gearboxes, (maybe not the 4wd bit but still,) and other bits that you have to think about when you swap engines around, i thought fuck it ill get the whole car so i dont hav to do these things - its already done for me so to speak.
Old 14-01-2012, 05:12 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

oh yeah, did i ever mention the one massive problem with keeping that merc registered as it is, this particular merc?

insurance! i dont like the sound of £2000+ for me and then the old man tried and it was, despite having no claims and bonuses at the max, and being 50 odd years old, it was still £1500. its all down to the bodywork.. technically to replace a bumper or whatever youd be looking at a merc dealer. which means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ hehehe.

Last edited by LUCIFER-V12; 14-01-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 14-01-2012, 05:13 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

post 1 - yes, my attitude stinks because i treat others as they treat me.yes, guilty as charged.
Have you never stopped to think that maybe it's the other way around? Your very first post was confrontational, rude and aggressive. Try being a bit less arrogant and you'll be surprised at how much better people will treat you.

-
your right, it SHOULD be easier puting tha capri panels over the engine etc rather than trying to pull the engine etc off and then rearranging the capri to make that fit. and yes ill be using the entire top half of the capri so window and all...
But the Merc is massively bigger than the Capri in every direction. Nothing's going to fit, and it will be next to impossible to make it resemble anything other than a badly drawn kids drawing.

and as for registering it.. i will have to cross that bridge when i come to it. it SHOULD end up labeled a capri with a different engine. but again i dont really know... i have had a look at a few government and vehicle agency stuff, but it really tends to edge toward 'cut n shut' not technically what im doing.
Isn't a 'cut and shut' exactly what you're doing? Using some bits of the Merc, and some bits of the Capri. If it's based on the Merc 'chassis' and running gear then it's a Merc.

but i can always put the capri back together and then turn the merc into something else. that too would be interesting..
If you really love your Capri (which it appears you do) think long and hard before cutting it up, as you will never 'put it back together' afterwards. You will just have two dead cars.

but who knows eh? i dont know anyone who has done this before?
There's a very good reason for that!
Old 14-01-2012, 05:21 PM
LUCIFER-V12
Part of the Furniture

if the capri wont play ball i WILL put him back together. i will never leave it.

i meant a cut n shut as in cutting two of the same car in half and welding the two good bit back together to make one good one. that kinda cut n shut... (thats all i could see unless you got into kit car and what not) ?
Old 14-01-2012, 05:28 PM
dojj

Sell the merc panels to get some money back

Quick Reply: 500+hp Capri. but with one SMALL difference..