Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Not a Ford but i thought i would share

Search this Thread

Old 23-12-2011, 04:42 PM
purplecivicturbo
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think youre probably right mate..

Im going to remove the unnecessary crap like the side skirts - only keep the parts which have a function..

The override switch is exactly what i thought. Just a bit more geeky.. I made a controller which can run the fans at any speed. So (as long as the water is warm) as the car slows, the fan speed increases. As do does it increase as the temperature rises. If it gets too high, there is a failsafe relay circuit.

I have taken a delivery today which may be of interest.. Especially for any of those chaps wanting to run a skyline tranny instead of their MT75..

Im not sure if ive already said it, but im modifying the Honda CRV rear diff so its internal pump (awful) reactive system is removed. But i needed to find a way to actuate it externally without going into the commercial (expensive) domain..

I remembered a few years ago when i was interested in the skyline system, the ATTESA system has a piston in the gearbox (like i do) but the control unit is external..

Name:  100_2478.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  109.5 KB
tah dah..

This is the skyline system. It has a pump which builds up pressure in the nitrogen filled accumulator (pressure switch feedback), then a PWM is applied to the solenoid which will bias that base pressure into the piston (excess is returned to the tank).

My research tells me the best speed to run this PWM at is 20Hz, so i did a quick test using my function generator and a quick circuit..

This shows that 20hz is fine (electrically) and upto 30hz seems to be okay.. To be honest i need to sort out a pressure gauge to see what effect this has properly..

Ive already begun designing the computer to integrate it into the car, along with the ABS signals, G sensor, Brake and speed.. There will also be user selectable MAPS, ramp, aggression, min lockup, and max pressure..

Also, i made a little test board to help me determine the correct G sensor readings. Real basic, just my scope, inverter, basic PSU, and the G sensor itself (the sensor is inside the box, i just made that for protection).

Name:  100_2477.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  103.8 KB

Next week the wife will drive and ill sit in the back with a notepad lol- thatll be fun...
Old 23-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Fraggle...
On a tangent

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

You are a very very clever fella total to you.

Get this finished!!
Old 23-12-2011, 06:58 PM
gavrwdfiesta

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

still loven this, im amazed 2 how you get the engine 2 run back wards???? would it not of bin easier 2 flip the diff???? crack on any way smart ass lol
Old 23-12-2011, 07:48 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ridiculous levels of electronic jiggery pokery here, wow.

The welding is really poor, try fire up some new pictures of it so we can see the improvements mate.

You seem to have a LOT of jobs on the go at once?! If it was me, I'd be finishing something off and then moving onto the next area etc... but then we all work differently.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 24-12-2011, 10:33 AM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by purplecivicturbo
Wow - that was a reaction i didnt expect..

Thanks for your comments- positive and negative..

There were a few things brought up i thought i should answer..

The weldng, i completely agree.. It was actually a bad choice of photos, i have that many of the build i

chose the first ones.. I had just started welding, and i was awful.. I consider myself a perfectionist,

and it was really getting to me. So i ground them all back and redid it.. They still dont by any means

look professional but the penetration is there and its safe..

The pigieon shit and caterpillars were undoubtebly the best description. Thanks for the tip with the

copper hammer. I wish i knew that when i did it..

The wing, i also agree.. It looks chavy, but the car itself isnt subtle, although the body is going back

to basics apart from functional touches.

The wing is actually a compound NACA profile, meaning there is data showing its drag / lift / AoA .etc I

do have the data somewhere, which i obtained through my uni course as a favour.. The mechanism takes a

leaf from the "Aeromotions" book, a company along with MIT who designed a variable angle wing which would

change due to driving conditions and requirement. Mine is my own take on it..
I would have rather used an APR GT wing, but not being able to afford one at the time, ive stuck with

this one as the holes are in the same positions as this wing (future upgrades).

The airbrake feature is really a nice to have feature, im not expectng it will have a huge impact. Im mainly interested in reduced drag during long straights and increased downforce during manouvres.

The radiator is in the boot simply because there isnt room for it up front anymore. Its mounted similar to the rallycross cars, or the ZEN motorsport TA impreza.. Its fed air through 2 large NACA ducts in the side and exits through the number plate housing.. The 2 14" fans are controlled by another system which supliments the lack of air flow at low speeds with the fans at low speed, as the car slows, the fans increase in speed. They also increase speed as the temperature increases. This is the same for the oil cooler and intercooler (to to the anti lag).

I know the car is not everybodies cup of tea, i knew that when i posted it on a ford forum lol..

Sorry if ive not addressed everything there.. And no worries about the comments, positive or negative, i do prefer constructive feedback but if there is something you personally dont like- youre welcome to say it..
Like what you're trying here mate...electronics are not something I like messing with!

Couple of things...
The wing needs to be a better quality item but tbh I think youre using the wing you have as it was already there....I'm the same..test it with a cheap wing then when it's all done fit a gt one!

Now the rad in boot is fine but with regards to the fans increasing with speed as you go faster...would this not effectively slow the speed that the ram air can pass through the rad?
I would think at higher speeds the air flowing through the ducts,rad and out the back uninterrupted by the fans would be more effective...
Old 25-12-2011, 12:30 PM
purplecivicturbo

I agree mate. I had the wing already, it as pretty good that it as a genuine aerodynamic profile..

Id love to buy a proper wing, but at the moment the respray is proving a big enough pain to fund..

The radiator fans will only increase in speed as the car slows down- to replace the airflow that the ram

intakes would provide.. The radiator will have a fibreglass cowl, and the fans are on the rear- they will

be allowed to free spin (off) when the car is moving so it shouldnt matter too much. THe cowling being a sealed space will force the accumulated pressure through the radiator as opposed to around it..

Im going to have to be careful with it- there is always the option of additional inlets, but id rather stick with this if i can..
Old 25-12-2011, 05:27 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ah my bad...I misunderstood what you were saying with regards to the fans.

Might not be to everyone's taste but I love a bit of out the box thinking and having the guts to do things yourself
Old 25-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

Like it the tronic's are great ! and I like the wing idear ,hopefully your get enough air to feed it enough to get a good effect from it , best of luck !
Old 26-12-2011, 04:40 PM
purplecivicturbo

thanks alot chaps!!

dovboy- no worries mate- i rushed my original post, wish i hadnt lol

RS Grant- youre right, too many jobs on at once can be a problem, but i do that at my day job so im kinda used to managing it.. I have a decent notepad.. Plus i have a nifty spreadsheet at home so i can keep track. THe main reason for having so many at once is cost.. i have stocks of electronics, and occasionally time to write the software.. I save the bigger jobs up until i have the time lol

I dont know if i asked before but does anyone know of a well priced sprayshop near or in blackpool??? at all lol
Old 26-12-2011, 05:19 PM
RS 5tu

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

looks like its going to be a interesting build, some clever electrical work there too

What kind of power you think it will achieve?
Old 26-12-2011, 05:22 PM
SiST
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Hi, a lad i work with called Lance who knows you mentioned your project to me a while ago in a brief conversation and i never really took any notice of him but it really is some great work you have done there and i probs could have used your electrics now how a while back lol Keep up the good work.

As for cheap respray, stanways of Lytham?

Last edited by SiST; 26-12-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 26-12-2011, 06:28 PM
purplecivicturbo

Thanks mate- it achieved 380bhp (flywheel est) as a 1.6 and spun a bearing shortly after..

The most that has been made on this turbo (being the limiting factor) is 580 wheel HP. Im hoping to get as close to that as possible. The only thing im currently lacking is a set of Honda B16b cams..

Stanways, the Ford garage.. I never thought.. How are they in terms of quality??
Old 26-12-2011, 06:50 PM
purplecivicturbo

Oh sorry, I do know Lance- in fact he lives down the street from me...
Old 26-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Palmer avenue have a body shop and are good. They did my ST rear bumper and got the colour match spot on.
Old 27-12-2011, 11:59 AM
purplecivicturbo

Thanks for that mate- ll take a look!
Old 27-12-2011, 11:01 PM
mjonathan24
PassionFord Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, what an awesome read! keep the updates coming
Old 28-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Blown Hell
Part of the Furniture

Stunning workmanship indeed, my only worry with that amount of wiring everywhere is fire, are you going to plumb in an electronic system? you could probably design a computer for that as well, I personally hate electronics and prefer the fabrication side of things.
I can't wait to see the finished article, good luck.
Old 28-12-2011, 01:53 PM
purplecivicturbo

Thanks alot chaps..

Electronics are right down my street.. Everything is protected, the circuits are fused .etc, the looms are protected and just in case there is a mechanical plumbed in extinguisher for the engine bay and boot as well as an electrical isolator..
Old 28-12-2011, 07:36 PM
Sticky.
20K+ Super Poster.

That looks great & welcome to the forum mate.

Ignore the negative comment, you're having ago & the electronic work your doing is spot on.

I'll look forward to the updates.
Old 28-12-2011, 08:13 PM
RST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Great work mate!
Old 28-12-2011, 08:46 PM
turbo m

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Just loving the thinking outside the box.Looking great so far..
Old 28-12-2011, 10:16 PM
howie1989

what a complicated project and your electronics are interesting i hope that wing works as you wish and i can't wait to see it done
Old 29-12-2011, 11:58 AM
purplecivicturbo

Thanks alot chaps

Originally Posted by Sticky.
That looks great & welcome to the forum mate.

Ignore the negative comment, you're having ago & the electronic work your doing is spot on.

I'll look forward to the updates.
Thanks for the welcome mate.. I know my welding will improve (i hope so), id love to learn TIG but i just cant afford the gear..

Originally Posted by howie1989
what a complicated project and your electronics are interesting i hope that wing works as you wish and i can't wait to see it done
It is rather complicated isnt it- i know it wont all work the first time its turned on together but im confident itll do what its supposed to. Most of it is to ensure that it can be driven almost daily without the driver having to worry about alot of things..

Im also looking forward to seeing the wing...
Old 29-12-2011, 12:45 PM
SiZT

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Re the radiator in the boot, you need to box it in to make sure the air goes through the rad and out through the boot (which I would make the area larger than the number plate recess). This will also have the benefit of boxing in your fuel cell and radiator for competition regs.

Very impressive work on the electronics side regardless
Old 30-12-2011, 01:52 PM
purplecivicturbo

My plan is to duct in the output from the radiator and heat shield the cell. The number plate recess is the main outlet but ive also added holes under the rear of the bumper also.

The air will be forced into the radiator using a fibreglass contoured cowl.

Do you know where i can find a list of competition regulations?
Old 31-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

That is fucking cool! Please go nuts with the bodywork, this car will never be subtle. Get your insparation from Time Attack and go wild. Rivet on arches etc!

Love all the little gizzmo's and gadgets you've made! impressive stuff!!

Looking forward to seeing it done!
Old 31-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Carlos-Titx
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry if I have missed it but are you going to lighten the electrics?

Looks like heavy cases etc and the amount of effort going in toward the different systems would weigh quite a bit.
Old 31-12-2011, 11:42 PM
purplecivicturbo

Youre right mate, i used aluminium and plastic boxes.

They are as light as i can make them but i need to keep the systems modular to aid in debugging.. At some point or if i did it for someone else, i would combine all the systems into one module..

Happy New Year all!!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:25 AM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

midnight purple would be cool!!!!
still looking well, now, when's my dash ready lol
Old 01-01-2012, 11:45 AM
purplecivicturbo

Thanks mate- ive always loved the colour..

Id like to finish my own cluster lol..

I do actually make this stuff for people lol, when the cluster is done i would consider making it for others..

Originally Posted by xr2wishy
midnight purple would be cool!!!!
still looking well, now, when's my dash ready lol
Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 PM
purplecivicturbo

Small update for tonight.

I have received the crank sensor from a BMW 530i. Ill be using it as part of my new trigger system.

Just as a small test i had to figure out how it worked, so i put my honda dizzy (as a decent toothed wheel) into the pillar drill, mounted the sensor in place, and used my PSU and a load to power the sensor. Its my old scope but you can still see the waveform output from it..

Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ah dude..it useless if you can't generate the 1.1 gigawattes of electricity req to power the flux capacitor!! Lol

You know you're stuff mate,if I had to learne that shit I would have to start erasing childhood memories!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:28 PM
dovboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Im not going to edit it^^^ but the irony of spelling learn wrong^^ lol
Old 06-01-2012, 06:45 AM
purplecivicturbo

Originally Posted by dovboy
Ah dude..it useless if you can't generate the 1.1 gigawattes of electricity req to power the flux capacitor!! Lol

You know you're stuff mate,if I had to learne that shit I would have to start erasing childhood memories!
I suppose youre right mate.. I best start working on my Mr Fusion...

Meh what use are childhood memories..
Old 06-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Blown Hell
Part of the Furniture

when you get nothing but a staight line on the monitor-you know what-you're dead!

It's all beyond me...mispent childhood, love the smell of burning rubber though
Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 PM
purplecivicturbo

Originally Posted by Blown Hell
when you get nothing but a staight line on the monitor-you know what-you're dead!

It's all beyond me...mispent childhood, love the smell of burning rubber though
HAHA!

Couldnt agree more.. My personal favorate smell happens to be petrol lol

Anyway good news- the rear wing computer is done!!

G Sensor, speed processing, airbrake- the lot.

Name:  100_2485.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  174.7 KB

Finished the last little bits now;

Name:  100_2491.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  113.5 KB

and a small video of me simulating the car speeding up and slowing.. The long pause at the end shows how the fans and PSU turn off after a period when no adjustments are being made..

Last edited by purplecivicturbo; 07-01-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 13-01-2012, 08:50 PM
purplecivicturbo

I did a little bit of work tonight, made room for the new main control panel..

Before;

Name:  100_2496.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  115.9 KB

After;

Name:  100_2497.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  148.2 KB

Name:  100_2498.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  131.6 KB

I should receive one of the control panels on Tue/Wed, fingers crossed it looks like the CAD image;

Name:  Dash_Panel1_Render.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  39.3 KB
Old 13-01-2012, 09:37 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The stuff you're putting up looks nerdy beyond belief (in a good way ) and way out of my league mate, but it turns out to be awesome... the clocks are a perfect example of that.

LOL @ having to delete childhood memories to fit this level of new electrical knowledge in.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 13-01-2012, 09:37 PM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

Some good work there, where abouts in Blackpool are you?
Old 13-01-2012, 09:59 PM
purplecivicturbo

Originally Posted by RS Grant
The stuff you're putting up looks nerdy beyond belief (in a good way ) and way out of my league mate, but it turns out to be awesome... the clocks are a perfect example of that.

LOL @ having to delete childhood memories to fit this level of new electrical knowledge in.

Cheers,
Grant
Lol thanks mate

Originally Posted by doctor stavros
Some good work there, where abouts in Blackpool are you?
Im actually in Ansdell.. But nobody knows where that is lol

Quick Reply: Not a Ford but i thought i would share