Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.
View Poll Results: scrap, reshell, or save ?
scrap and break
18.52%
reshell
14.81%
save and restore
66.67%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Rs turbos are rust bombs.

Search this Thread

Old 14-04-2010, 01:12 PM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rs turbos are rust bombs.

hey I 'm gonna show some pictures and explain a situation i'm in right now.

I know my fords inside out and especially rs's. I know what to look for what things cost to fix on them and basically I could of saved my mate from buying a dog, for strong money !!
If he had bothered to take me!! But he didn't

Ok he owns a dirty d series 2.

I have to be careful with writing this because I am his mate and it's not a nice thing to really do, but i need some advice,

heres the car

its due to run out of mot at the month and this car is a serious money pit, the previous owner never spent a penny on it, and when my friend bought it for £2300, it has all the original parts on it, brakes, lines suspensions you name it.

Hes had to bu ya new set of konis. new bush set, I have had to rebuild the brake lines for the rear end of the car, fit new brake cylinders.

just before christmas my friend was smacked up the arse by a transit, the guy in the transit hit him at 30-40 whilst the rs weas stationary, the whole rear end was stoved in, and the front end was badly smashed as the rs moved into the back of the car in front.

The guy already had previous insurance claims for doing the same thing and so offered my friend a cash settlement or repairs on the car, stu being stu !! despite my advice decided to get a quote from an insurance body repair centre,

lol £3k later the car was repaired which the bloke who owned the transit paid out ofr from his own business money. !!!
i advised stu to take a lump sum of £3k in his pocket, break the car as it wasnt going through the insurance, and make another 1.5k ish from breaking the car. Then that would be some solid money for either a cossie or a better rs turbo !!!

But nope he got it reapired.

Ok bare with me this is a long post but i think its worth the read ..
His mot runs out the end of this month, and he asked me to do some patches of welding for him, I was like ok where are they, he said on the floorpan, drivers seat mount, i was like ok well thats annoying but i can do it sure,

Interior out made up a deflector to stop sparks getting everywhere,!!

carpet up and i didnt like what else i was seeing,.!! hammerite and seam sealer on the inner sills/floor pan, I asked him before you painted that and the underside floorpan was the metal ok, yer yer he said !!! well after cutting out the seat mount

i found that the floor had seperated from the sill and was pretty rusty, after grinding off the paint my friend had put down this is what i've found !!!

Now i aplogise for the long read, but your opinions please !!
Bearing in mind he needs a new gearbox, new rear quarter lower side! new os rear inner+ outer arch, new sills/ patching of the floorpan and the car resprayed too !!

nearside sill is amazingly pretty good

except where some plonk has jacked in the past

Last edited by cossieDavedree; 14-04-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 14-04-2010, 01:26 PM
smitsturbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ive seen allot worse repaird
Old 14-04-2010, 01:30 PM
stevo123
Regular Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen worse 24 year old cars to be very honest.
With it being a D plate I was expecting a lot more rot under there.
Agree paid over the odds for it but that's life I guess. Be a pal and get him welded up - one day he might be able to return a favour for you.
Old 14-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Jay's 3-door
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Id say worth saving, my sierra was in a state along these lines, depends how much work you and your mate want to put into this one, again I agree hes paid over the odds for the car but thats what happens when you dont take a mate who knows about these things. If rest of the cars solid id repair it
Old 14-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Big-Dan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As above, seen far worse repaired on here, the difference being though that most of those who repair them do it by themselves so it doesn't cost them anything other than time.

If you are willing to do the leg work then explain to him that the amount that needs doing will take time and that you will want abit of cash chucked your way. Do a proper job of fixing it and it'll be good for another 20 years, also worth a few more bob.

Big-Dan.
Old 14-04-2010, 01:37 PM
thebigyin
BANNED
BANNED

if you knew rs turbos as well as you say you would know that the rust you have shown us is standard issue, and could be a lot worse than that, in fact i bet if you start poking about there will be rot all over it!
Old 14-04-2010, 02:27 PM
cossieDavedree
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by thebigyin
if you knew rs turbos as well as you say you would know that the rust you have shown us is standard issue, and could be a lot worse than that, in fact i bet if you start poking about there will be rot all over it!
oh right in that case i'll leave the rust as is then lol!!!

heres an update to the latest sill side!!!

Its definetely saveable, however i will have to fabricate the joins between the inner sill, outer sill and floor pan, all the way down the whole side

I've had a chat with him today the main problem is its his only car, said he'd need another car to run around in, and that i can do the work but would need a litle bit more money and time, He wants to do it, so i think its a case of just getting on with it.

But thanks for peoples views it helps alot.

Last edited by cossieDavedree; 14-04-2010 at 02:28 PM.