Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

BEEFY'S s1 cos- tues 1-5-2012 Project now for sale , breaking -

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Patto
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aye he likes a grumble lol
Old 12-12-2010, 05:55 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful bits n' pieces there Beef, gonna be well worth the time and patient calculations
Old 12-12-2010, 11:27 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

minor trimming of the floor to fit the box section to mount the cradel onto ,

in sure he will be fin tomorrow when i take him his favourite biscuts ,

beef
Old 12-12-2010, 11:49 PM
jay.woody
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

loving the attention to detail on this conversion, cant wait to see it finished
Old 13-12-2010, 12:02 AM
crumpet
Advanced PassionFord User

Fuckin hell beef your wee bros a big built lad int he!

lookin awesome so far pal
Old 13-12-2010, 08:16 AM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Originally Posted by crumpet
Fuckin hell beef your wee bros a big built lad int he!

lookin awesome so far pal

who ? our " tank "

yeah he a big lad lol , fucking scares me how strong he is lol ,

lol pushed my clio out of a foot of snow with me sat in it lol ,

beef
Old 13-12-2010, 08:52 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

update as of tonight ,

well they say you got to break a few eggs to make an omlette

well were breaking lol

so what you do to a freshly made cradle ?

yup

center tubes too wide as weve moved the legs in , no danger

center lines were marked thru car so we know where to fit ,

getting the diff in was a mare , poor design by ford if its made from a gen design , how the wrc boys quick changed it ill never know !!!

main spars 20mm to narrow to slide in diff with flanges

ohh well

resulted in having to put diff in at an angle and twisting it , a pain and the top mount brackets were super tight ,

had to dyna file bout 2 mm of either side of the diff casing but finally managed to get it in ,

put on the removeable top mount,.................... holes slightly off

no drama , not too keen on how it sits as its the lowest section on the cradle now so were going to modify it , more on that tomorrow

so offerd it to where it needed to be , and little clearance was needed to the floor

spesh not fucking about

1 hole

where it needed to be

clearance we needed - bout half a tube

how it sits on the box section ,

centered

rember the bits we chopped off ?

well there going to be refitted to the tube they were cut from but at a 90 degree angle to the tube like so , fully coped and welded

the front tubes for the link arms will need to be modded aswell , due to being designed for an escos which is wider than a mk 3 and coupled with the fact weve tubbed the rear and fit fat tyres were going to have to move the the cnc'd blocks further down the tubes there attached to as the link arms will foul the inner edge of the tyre/wheel

obv we wont know till hubs are done and posted , and we mock it all up but hopefully it wont be enough to upset the geometry , were guesstimating arount 40-50 mm

i had written all this out in more detail , but as i updated the signal went on the broadband ,

and i cant be chewed with a full re write tbh

tomorrow were going to machine up a few bosses on the lathe at a mates for the mounts , and get it welded in position ,

couple of hicups but hey ho , these are the things you get wanting to be diffrent ,

will update tomorrow
beef & k
Old 13-12-2010, 08:55 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

looking good mate. you in? was gonna call, been talking to dingla about doing teh focus too!! hehe
Old 13-12-2010, 08:56 PM
RONNIE AMIS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

looking good beefy.
if you could sort out some of them top mount sections i'd love you even more than i do
Old 13-12-2010, 08:58 PM
whizzisat114
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Top work beefy
Are you going to run a roll cage in the car and pick up the rear end with it?
Sorry if its a saft question
Old 13-12-2010, 08:58 PM
WENNY
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

beef will it be solid mounted to the car
Old 13-12-2010, 09:04 PM
dingla rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

looking good fella really must get some time off before crimbo and come throw have a catch up with you both
Old 13-12-2010, 09:11 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

lol so you waited for the rear cradle to be finished spot on then you cut it to bits

Its all trial and error i suppose if you haven't done it before but that's why experienced firms charge so much for this kind of work, but they too had to learn somewhere.

I do think the whole rear cradle set up your using is a tad complicated compared to how Andrew done my fiesta though, plus it will weigh a lot more than my set up too although i am sure you have your own reasons for going down that route,

Heres the fiesta rear diff and wrc based set up, all from t45 and the diff can be easily removed with flanges and even shafts still attached, also being tied directly into the shell and cage its as strong as its ever going to get.

I am loving the progress on the car though mate, you and K are really getting stuck in and its amazing how quick its starting to take shape, nice work

Last edited by M K; 13-12-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 13-12-2010, 09:25 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts

nice work lads its a shame you have had to cut it up a bit but it will all be good
Old 13-12-2010, 09:37 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Originally Posted by RONNIE AMIS
looking good beefy.
if you could sort out some of them top mount sections i'd love you even more than i do
im on with them fella , when i have them you will

Originally Posted by whizzisat114
Top work beefy
Are you going to run a roll cage in the car and pick up the rear end with it?
Sorry if its a saft question
no cage mate

Originally Posted by WENNY
beef will it be solid mounted to the car
yes mate , bosses welded to the box sections boxes to the car , and strut brace with two down tubes to the central mount

Originally Posted by M K
lol so you waited for the rear cradle to be finished spot on then you cut it to bits

Its all trial and error i suppose if you haven't done it before but that's why experienced firms charge so much for this kind of work, but they too had to learn somewhere.

I do think the whole rear cradle set up your using is a tad complicated compared to how Andrew done my fiesta though, plus it will weigh a lot more than my set up too although i am sure you have your own reasons for going down that route,

Heres the fiesta rear diff and wrc based set up, all from t45 and the diff can be easily removed with flanges and even shafts still attached, also being tied directly into the shell and cage its as strong as its ever going to get.

I am loving the progress on the car though mate, you and K are really getting stuck in and its amazing how quick its starting to take shape, nice work
yeah mate , suppose thats the advantage of experience , and tbh making it work on a flat boot floor with nothing to work round is far simpler than trying to make it work with what we have , also had to go this route as i aint caged so need something with its own integral strenght ,

the issues aint that major tbh , would of had as much modding as say fitting a 200sx rear end or sumthing ,

Originally Posted by COLEYST200
nice work lads its a shame you have had to cut it up a bit but it will all be good
i knew the mid tube would need cutting before i collected it , unfortunately mark had already made up the section and rather than slow things up with him having to do it , we made the call to sort it outselves
Old 13-12-2010, 09:42 PM
WENNY

just mite be a bit harsh for a road car, esp if your running a uprated diff
Old 13-12-2010, 09:44 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

is what it is mate

might take it racing at some point ,
Old 13-12-2010, 09:55 PM
WENNY

ye u can only see what its like
Old 13-12-2010, 10:11 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

"might take it racing"?

It's all coming together nicely now chaps, have you though of what you are going to call it? Make up some osrt of plaque to stick up on the wall? Or even go so far as making a book of the build, like rod?
Old 14-12-2010, 04:08 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Ah sorry mate I thought It was having a cage etc,

Old 14-12-2010, 08:27 AM
MK MOTORSPORT

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

[quote=-beefy-;5236653]update as of tonight ,

well they say you got to break a few eggs to make an omlette

well were breaking lol

so what you do to a freshly made cradle ?

yup

center tubes too wide as weve moved the legs in , no danger

center lines were marked thru car so we know where to fit ,

getting the diff in was a mare , poor design by ford if its made from a gen design , how the wrc boys quick changed it ill never know !!!

main spars 20mm to narrow to slide in diff with flanges

ohh well

resulted in having to put diff in at an angle and twisting it , a pain and the top mount brackets were super tight ,

had to dyna file bout 2 mm of either side of the diff casing but finally managed to get it in ,

put on the removeable top mount,.................... holes slightly off

no drama , not too keen on how it sits as its the lowest section on the cradle now so were going to modify it , more on that tomorrow

so offerd it to where it needed to be , and little clearance was needed to the floor

spesh not fucking about

1 hole

where it needed to be

clearance we needed - bout half a tube

how it sits on the box section ,

centered

rember the bits we chopped off ?

well there going to be refitted to the tube they were cut from but at a 90 degree angle to the tube like so , fully coped and welded

the front tubes for the link arms will need to be modded aswell , due to being designed for an escos which is wider than a mk 3 and coupled with the fact weve tubbed the rear and fit fat tyres were going to have to move the the cnc'd blocks further down the tubes there attached to as the link arms will foul the inner edge of the tyre/wheel

obv we wont know till hubs are done and posted , and we mock it all up but hopefully it wont be enough to upset the geometry , were guesstimating arount 40-50 mm

i had written all this out in more detail , but as i updated the signal went on the broadband ,

and i cant be chewed with a full re write tbh

tomorrow were going to machine up a few bosses on the lathe at a mates for the mounts , and get it welded in position ,

couple of hicups but hey ho , these are the things you get wanting to be diffrent ,

will update tomorrow
beef & k[/quote

Dont forget this cradle was desiged for a 9inch diff ,which flange to flange are narrower coz they run 2 long shafts unlike a 7i/2 which has one longer than the other.i personaly wouldnt have cut the cradle or mod front points stick to modding one thing ie shell ,the cradle was jigged of a brand new genuine wrc one ,execpt for lower link pickups ,with the wheels your wanting to run lots of rear dish to get under arches you might have problems with rear steering arms ,you will probaly have to make something when you get your wheels etc on
Old 14-12-2010, 07:52 PM
WENNY

he should of just put a sierra floor in lol, now i cant buy that rear beam when its to harsh for him and his fillings fall out
Old 14-12-2010, 08:12 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

[quote=MK MOTORSPORT;5237021]
Originally Posted by -beefy-
Dont forget this cradle was desiged for a 9inch diff ,which flange to flange are narrower coz they run 2 long shafts unlike a 7i/2 which has one longer than the other.i personaly wouldnt have cut the cradle or mod front points stick to modding one thing ie shell ,the cradle was jigged of a brand new genuine wrc one ,execpt for lower link pickups ,with the wheels your wanting to run lots of rear dish to get under arches you might have problems with rear steering arms ,you will probaly have to make something when you get your wheels etc on

totally forgot about that mark , tbh now we've slimmed down the diff casing its not that bad , more than happy with it ,

modding the center tube wasnt a big deal , that was due to us adding tubs , and wouldnt be nessacary if we hadnt done them

ill explain a bit more in the following update but the front link mounts are staying ,

still think it will be totally fine with the hubs ect , the rose joints have a fair angle to travel on them,

either way im more than happy with the cradel , it along with everything else just needed slight mods as it was never designed for the car ,

Originally Posted by WENNY
he should of just put a sierra floor in lol, now i cant buy that rear beam when its to harsh for him and his fillings fall out

NOT FOR SALE MATE

update to follow peeps

beef
Old 14-12-2010, 08:22 PM
MK MOTORSPORT

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

[quote=-beefy-;5238068]
Originally Posted by MK MOTORSPORT

totally forgot about that mark , tbh now we've slimmed down the diff casing its not that bad , more than happy with it ,

modding the center tube wasnt a big deal , that was due to us adding tubs , and wouldnt be nessacary if we hadnt done them

ill explain a bit more in the following update but the front link mounts are staying ,

still think it will be totally fine with the hubs ect , the rose joints have a fair angle to travel on them,

either way im more than happy with the cradel , it along with everything else just needed slight mods as it was never designed for the car ,

NOT FOR SALE MATE

update to follow peeps

beef
ok mate glad you got it sorted
mark
Old 14-12-2010, 08:38 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

ok folks tonights update

had to nip out this morn and collect my conrods , more on them in a bit

anyway whilst out , me n k picked up some solid mild steel bar and popped up to automark , marks a diamond and was willing to let up play on the lathe

so , k got on with turning up some bosses ,

karl was a lil rusty on it lol , having not used one since his apprentiship days lol . but we got there in the end lol

anyway

got back home and squared the box section up with the cradel , once we had it set and alligned in position , the bosses were marked and sunk into the box

they were sunk to act as crush tubes for the bolts ,and they should be alot stronger ,

cradel was then sat on and checked again , then both box and bosses tacked in

and clears the rear diff mount

k got on welding them in ,

artsy pic lol

and in

the front box was then set in place on the shell , and the cut off mounts from the mid tube offerd on ,

as you can see a little short , but fear not

a section of genuine m sport wrc/grp a tube was sourced from the steel pile lol

hummmmmmmmm LIKE A GLOVE !!!

it was then coped by k and after a small boss was tacked on and then is the mount

ohh karls jack arm is now about 4 inches shorter lol

hows it looking beef ?????

ITS GOOD !!!!!

how the boxes looked with the diff off

car on its side

they were then fully welded in @ the ends and stitch welded to the floor

so with that done , the diffs been removed to allow easy manouvering of the cradel

the front arms and cnc blocks will be left on the cradel as is , going to wait till the hubs are sorted and set it all up and then work out or wheels ect , and if needed we may have to add two brackets mid way down the tube to re position the link arm , obv we wont know till its all here , but this means the front pickups for the cradel can be finished and the floor done as any subsequent mods would just be adding a cpl brackets to the tube

also , got a txt off me old buddy jp , said my front turret rings were ready

two lazer cut rings

perfect fit for the stock turret

and yes mr ronnie amis , i have a pair here for you , pm me your addy and ill bosh them in the post

so how the cradel now looks with the mount mods

ohh and cpl pics of my rods, had them fitted with new little ends

back at work again tomorrow which is a result ,

more to follow this week ,

karl and beef ,
Old 14-12-2010, 08:48 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Nice
Old 14-12-2010, 08:56 PM
little bram

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looking well mate. like the cradle should be on its wheels soon. Are you putting a roll cage in or not
Old 14-12-2010, 08:56 PM
WENNY

looking good mate
Old 14-12-2010, 09:05 PM
scottyrs
DURHAM RSOC

looks great mate
Old 14-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Rides
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

friggin sweet... love stuff like this..keep it up beefy..
Old 14-12-2010, 09:55 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

no cage , full interior lol ,

been a really good day tbh , plenty of laughing joking and singing along to some right old classics lol

just how it should be , and we got a fair bit done ,

karls jumping on with some more bits tomorrow , slight mod to a front section of the floor and a hole or two to fill , some seat mount strengthers to fit , theres the rings to weld on , and im sure he will look at how were going to platform the front cradel mounts , we already go an idea in mind , so thats a result !
Old 14-12-2010, 09:56 PM
special-K
Regular Contributor

Default cradle

Well worked till 10 after beef went home just let him no the cradle is all bolted in place....K
Old 14-12-2010, 09:56 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Originally Posted by Rides
friggin sweet... love stuff like this..keep it up beefy..

you mean karl mate , i just stand there shouting " schnell schnell " and whipping him lol

Old 14-12-2010, 09:57 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Originally Posted by special-K
Well worked till 10 after beef went home just let him no the cradle is all bolted in place....K

diamond fella !!!!

shame you dont know how to post a pic lol !!

Old 14-12-2010, 10:00 PM
special-K
Regular Contributor

diamond fella !!!!

shame you dont know how to post a pic lol !!

yeh your rite but i no how to work the plasma K
Old 14-12-2010, 10:04 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lookin class fella. Defo have to pop down sometime after crimbo for a nosey, a cuppa and a catch up with you both.
Old 14-12-2010, 10:16 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Originally Posted by special-K
yeh your rite but i no how to work the plasma K

pmsl !! true

Originally Posted by BigErn
Lookin class fella. Defo have to pop down sometime after crimbo for a nosey, a cuppa and a catch up with you both.

defoo mate , been way to long , hows tricks bud , you got that shonky saff sorted yet ?

Old 14-12-2010, 11:42 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts

looking fab mate it wont be long befor its on its wheels . and i think he needs a bit more practice on the lathe
Old 15-12-2010, 12:10 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would having a gusset of either box section or pipe welded where the red is on the pic below?

Old 15-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Rides
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

you mean karl mate , i just stand there shouting " schnell schnell " and whipping him lol

PMFSL sounds about right mate... nice one Karl..you got some talent mate..

beefy sargent major hahahaah

Quick Reply: BEEFY'S s1 cos- tues 1-5-2012 Project now for sale , breaking -