Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

BIG POWER Ebony Cosworth 4x4 Build (Update 16/3/2008) Now at Martins

Search this Thread

Old 16-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DENNIS
Originally Posted by martin-reyland
Originally Posted by DENNIS
the BD16`s is 3500 - 8500 RPM and are not really suitable on a road car as you would have next to no idle, flat below 3500 rpm and would need to rev it to 9000 rpm + to make use of them,
Is that a joke?? Please tell me you are not serious... The next to no idle comment is a blinder Sorry to have to say this but your advice is not good
my point was that these cams are not suitable on a road car with a power band out side the window of use, thus not suitable on this application.

as for the idle.. OK no idle was maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but from experience there not very smooth at all, OK on a race car where its on high revs all the time, but not on a road car ....
They give a perfectly smooth idle !! In fact you can go much wilder than the 16 and still have a perfect idle and good off boost drivability too. Your power band and application was quoted straight from Kent’s BD16 listing on their site rather than from personal experience I would wager, either that or you are timing them in at weird settings. What use would a hyd profile cam be if it's best was to be found at 8500/9000 rpm?? We will have to agree to disagree on this one.
Old 17-02-2008, 02:00 AM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yip 1k smooth idle once warm
Martin you have pm regarding ratios
Old 18-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

just thought id post up a pic from this weekend. Pretty bored now waiting for the bits to start arriving.

Hoping for the engine to be back this week as its been longer than initially thought.
as you can see from the front wheels they certainly stick out further and im now loving the super ts was seriosly considering getting mos but seems like everyones got them. Also done a lot of tidying to the engine bay in preperation for the engine and turbo although you cant really see it in the pic.

Does anyone have any thoughts on engine temps. I keep considering getting the heat shield foil stuff for the left side of the bay and also wrapping the exhaust, Is this a good idea???

is there anything else anyone would do while the engines out?

Thanks for everyones help....
Old 20-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

All parts other than I boost hose will be with you tomorrow.. Boost hose will be a few days after.

Turbo not pictured as I didn't want to open the box.
Old 20-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ok thanks Martin. Sorry i have not called been so busy in work.

Also had a call from engine builders about trying to trace a 4x4 bottom pulley that was apparently mullered from a previos removal attempt. i know that they are a son of a bitch to get off. yet more expense though.

located one for Ł60 so not to bad.

Slightly worried about what hey are going to calculate the final price on the build to. i was quoted Ł6000-Ł6500 inc vat without the headwork.
then was told headwork would be about Ł800 so really dont wanna pay more than Ł7500 inc headwork ive just got this strange feeling they are gonna try and charge me way over budget

Does that sound fair to all you engine builders out there?

Many Thanks

thanks again Martin
Old 20-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
Ok thanks Martin. Sorry i have not called been so busy in work.

Also had a call from engine builders about trying to trace a 4x4 bottom pulley that was apparently mullered from a previos removal attempt. i know that they are a son of a bitch to get off. yet more expense though.

located one for Ł60 so not to bad.

Slightly worried about what hey are going to calculate the final price on the build to. i was quoted Ł6000-Ł6500 inc vat without the headwork.
then was told headwork would be about Ł800 so really dont wanna pay more than Ł7500 inc headwork ive just got this strange feeling they are gonna try and charge me way over budget

Does that sound fair to all you engine builders out there?

Many Thanks

thanks again Martin
Did you not get the crank etc balanced?? Why fit a pulley afterwards
Old 20-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yes crank was balanced mate and everything weight matched whatever that means.

I suppose the pulley would need to be balanced with it? is that what you are getting at?
Old 20-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

I suppose the pulley would need to be balanced with it? is that what you are getting at?
Yes..
Old 27-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Smile

Just a Quick Update. Recieved a phonecall today saying engine is ready for pickup in the morning. So will be going donw there asap. hope to then get it in. Turbo on, and plenum when it arrives from Mike.
Not recieved pipe yet martin so i dont know if you want to get onto them.

not impressed with the cost as it came quite considerably over the price i was led to believe it would be. Also everything has been replaced minus the block even though the engine ran fine just smoked, No noises or anything. But Just learn from it i suppose. I know it will be great though.

Will get some pics up as soon as i get it home. I hope to have it back in the car by end of day tommorow. Finish all the little bits over the weekend and back to the builders for first start up monday.

lets hope it all goes well.
Old 28-02-2008, 06:23 AM
- Sim -
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently read that here.

Regarding the Wössner pistons, are these any good? I heard many people getting angry with the name Wössner, I can remember to a time when they made with Wiseco and now have their own piston profile.....

these are too cheap in my eyes to be any strong. 450 poudns for 4 pistons...
Old 28-02-2008, 08:37 PM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 03-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Quite a large update. Good and bad news.

After picking up the engine was impressed with engine but service leaves a lot to be desired. Once back at my house realised strieght away that a lot of parts were missing. Fuel rail, Injectors, Power steering pipes, Etc Etc.

We pressed on with a view to getting as far as we can and then handing back to TDI for them to put the parts on that they forgot to give me back and then first start up as they requested.

After a lot of messing about trying to get the engine in without taking the gearbox out we gave up and took the box out.

After that things got a lot easier.

Once it was in cleaned up and put the driveshafts in connected all water pipes except turbo pipes. installed swedish plenum but was having trouble working out where the block for the small pipes go and also what sensor goes in the bottom fitted all the tanks and most boost hoses.

So at earliest convienience (as im very impatient) i got the car towed over to TDI to finish off where i was told it was basically pointless that day due to Dennis not being in even though i was told to bring it that day the day before.

Left a check list of things to do with them

This is basically how it read

Install pipework to Oil Breather
Install oil filtet housing and pipes (left At TDI)
Install Fuel Rail (left at TDI)
Finish off swedish plenum (mount throttle body and do pipes at rear)
install water cooling to turbo
Install one power steering pipe (left at TDI)
Install water pump pulley and put on belt (left at TDI)
Connect Rear wires to fuel pump (2 Seconds)

In all honesty i was probably being a bit lazy and should have done some myself but had a hard couple of days at it and was pretty fed up.

Probably very foolish of me but expected 2-3 Hours work at the rate of Ł100 per hour (roughly) for the car to be running ready for me to run in.

Well as you probably guessed, NO....

Recieved a call saying after having a look there is considerably more time needed than i expected and to warn me that it will cost more...

Forgive me for being a little pissed off as i just spent Ł9000 with the company with no messing around with 6 months finance etc and now they wanna charge yet more money.

So im collecting the car in about an hour and me and a friend at a garage will get it ready from start to Finish. In under 2 hours just to see if it can be done. I will be taking pictures with the time on them before and after.

TDI do a great finished article of an engine but i certainly wont be going back for the autronics. My next port of call is Mark Shead for the autronics, Im sure i will get better customer service after spending so much money as i have heard nothing but good things.

I will just have to put this experience behined me.

Last edited by Ebonycossie4x4; 11-03-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Not recieved pipe yet martin so i dont know if you want to get onto them.
It was sent today but I think we may have sent the wrong one!! We have sent turbo > intercooler is that what you wanted as I notice you have an alloy one in place?
Old 03-03-2008, 05:06 PM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

very nice
Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the problem with the big power builds mate....things usually work out alot more expensive than first thought.

As martin said you should have the pulley balanced with the engine, the clutch cover is also a good idea.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

pulley was balanced in the end apparently mate.

It has holes in the back of it like where someone has drilled it out and im 99% sure they wasnt there before.
Spent all day yesterday trying to get all the little bits done. but it was an absoloubt nightmare. Especially changing the plate on the throttle body. I should have some more pics tonight. Just need some extra pipework. Starting to lose a little enthusiasum already thoughts of selling up are creeping in.

But ill try and put them to the back of my mind as i cant wait till its done.

Also what do people do on the swedish plenum to enable a pipe inc dump valve to go between that and the intercooler.

Thanks as Always
Old 05-03-2008, 06:25 PM
DENNIS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

pulley was balanced in the end apparently mate.

It has holes in the back of it like where someone has drilled it out and im 99% sure they wasnt there before.
Spent all day yesterday trying to get all the little bits done. but it was an absoloubt nightmare. Especially changing the plate on the throttle body. I should have some more pics tonight. Just need some extra pipework. Starting to lose a little enthusiasum already thoughts of selling up are creeping in.

But ill try and put them to the back of my mind as i cant wait till its done.

Also what do people do on the swedish plenum to enable a pipe inc dump valve to go between that and the intercooler.

Thanks as Always

How are you getting on with this ???

I'm sorry to hear you was not happy, if it was just an hour or two, I'm sure we could have done something for you, but as you have discovered, it was far from. Unfortunately price and quality go hand in hand.

As for me not being there on saturday, there was a last minute change of plans, late on the Friday night. Sorry...

Best of luck ...

Dennis
Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sorry Guys

I have been on a course for work this most of this week. After pick up on monday i towed it to a mates garage that deals with all my other cars and we cracked on at about 2.50pm

Basically all the jobs were horrible and i fear thats why they didnt get done.

by 8pm we gave up for the night and towed it back to my house When i said most of the day that was including the hour to tow it and the sitting around all day waiting for my mate. All that is now left to do is

Something with the throttle body pipe to intercooler?????? (wont fit with D/V)
put on oil filter holder (the water bit) as yet another bit (O ring) Is Missing.
purchase a new pipe to go from top of breather to top of tank as i have moved breather to other side (away from the turbo)

Thats It so 20 mins work once i have the o-ring and top pipe.

Problem is towing it back to TDI (again). So might get a friend to start it while on the fuel machine to adjust accordingly then drive it to TDI just to do quick check.

The sm4 will be after its run in mate. its not booked yet as i need to release some funds as the engine come to a lot more than first anticipated.

I have more pics but im not at home so as soon as i get in i will post them up.

Speak to you soon.

Last edited by Ebonycossie4x4; 06-03-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Right. After another few hours today we are at a point where the engine can nearly be started.

I am confused about the plugs for the wiring. i see a blue plug that i think is to a sensor but i cannot find that sensor anywhere. And also none of the front wires seem to reach. Either its me being thick or i need to extend due to the swedish plenum.
Would love a diagram to know what colour plug goes to what bit. And also to know how you differentiate between what black plug goes where.

other than that its putting the oil pressure sender on which i think is going to be a nightmare as i should not have left it till last.

Anyway heres some pics as it is now.

is there a problem with both water pipes feeding upwards? Heres a pic.

Any other problems anyone notices let me know strieght away. Thanks
Old 10-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

blue plug is the water temp sensor, back of the engine next to the dipstick.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i thought it was which is very worrying because i have no plug there.

please dont tell me this was another thing (lost).

Im going out to have another look

Last edited by Ebonycossie4x4; 10-03-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just found it and plugged it in. Any one know what the grey one near the plenum goes to.

Im having real trouble. Once the distributer one is in. Which is facing towards the engine???

The idle control valve and the red thing on the throttle body dont reach no more.

Either i have the crank sensor and dizzy round the wrong way or i have to extend the wires due to the relocation of throttle body.

this oil pressure switch looks like its going to be a bastard.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds a nightmare, not suprised though.

At least you wasnt charged 7k for what would be 350quids work for someone who actually knew what they was doing.
(because the company, rather than do some proper fault finding or be honest and admit they had no clue, just changed everything for new stuff they did know a bit about till it worked, then charged you for it)
Old 10-03-2008, 05:48 PM
fezzajsy
10K+ Poster!!

looking good
Old 10-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

It needs a turbo damper!!

Excuse the red pipe, it's temporary..

Last edited by Martin-Hadland; 10-03-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Sticky.
20K+ Super Poster.

Martin...whats the black being used on the turbo oil filter?or is that a new style of pipe now?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by StickerPaul
Martin...whats the black being used on the turbo oil filter?or is that a new style of pipe now?
It's just plastic covered Aeroquip.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:42 PM
maxest
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
It needs a turbo damper!!

Excuse the red pipe, it's temporary..
AJC's engine bay
Old 10-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

ebony,

give me a call tomorrow i will talk you through what goes where.

I can also sort you out with sensor extention plugs for the TPS & ISCV if needed.

Cheers

Ryan
Old 10-03-2008, 06:51 PM
AJC
10K+ Poster!!

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

first time i seen my engine bay. Wow!!
Old 10-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ryan. is the extensions what it needs then because i gave up earlier as it started absoloubtly pissing down.

Martin. yes i know it needs a turbo damper and i had two but ive looked everywhere and cant find them.

Does anyone know what the brown and white wire coming off the blue plug and the black temp guage plug is???? Mine seems to be broken as it is just bare wire.

Im so close to first start up and booking in for management but still seems so far away lol. Gotta go back to work tommorow aswell. DAMN.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Ryan. is the extensions what it needs then because i gave up earlier as it started absoloubtly pissing down.

Martin. yes i know it needs a turbo damper and i had two but ive looked everywhere and cant find them.

Does anyone know what the brown and white wire coming off the blue plug and the black temp guage plug is???? Mine seems to be broken as it is just bare wire.

Im so close to first start up and booking in for management but still seems so far away lol. Gotta go back to work tommorow aswell. DAMN.
Shame you are so far away, I could have sorted this for you.

Brown/white goes to the temp sensor in the head behind the dip stick, it signals the dash temp gauge.

I have the dampers in stock if needed.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mate i wish you was down here lol. Seems like intrest in cosworths in essex is waining. or everyone wants to give 3 grand for one and get the blloke round the corner to rebuild it in his shed.
When i bought my first one everyone and their dog was intrested down here but now it just seems like people are moving on. Or obsessed with rs turbos.
Seems like when you go big power you really do need to know someone extremely reliable as whoever i ask to help me out seems to just not be intrested.

if the brown and white is temp sensor on dash what is the black push on single pin plug i also have?

is this all going to be replaced anyway when the management gets done.

After yums gearbox problems really seriosly considering limiting to 550 poss 580 max. Dont wanna get pissed off before ive even began.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Going to need some front disks from you aswell i think. Like what we spoke about on the phone. Would a pic of the brakes help you narrow down what ones i need?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

is that red pipe charge temperature guage ACT is it called mike rainbird sells them.

Will the autronic monitor tell me that anyway?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:27 PM
jonnyrsturbo
is half man, half amazin'

look mint, thats a big turbo!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

as martin has said, brown and white wire is purely for dash temp reading.

single wire is low oil pressure sendor for the dash warning light. its below the inlet where the turbo oil feed goes.

hope this helps.

no worries about the extentions, jsut give me a call tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks mate great work. you wouldnt believe how much just that small amount of info has helped.

Thanks again

Oh and thanks johnny. Yeah everyone that sees it laughs. all my mates have got nothing like this sort of ambition so when they saw it for the first time they was pretty gobsmacked.

Quick Reply: BIG POWER Ebony Cosworth 4x4 Build (Update 16/3/2008) Now at Martins