Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Its alive !!! - S2 RST engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 29-07-2004, 10:05 AM
eclipse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its alive !!! - S2 RST engine swap

I used to have a S2 RST a couple of years ago that was running 221bhp with 212lb of torque but sold it to a friend when I bought my Scooby. about 6 months later my friend was involved in an accident and the car was sandwiched which resulted in the chassis spliting in 3 places. I bought the car back from the insurance company to save my engine. It has been sitting on my driveway for about a year till I bought another RST to transplant the engine into.

The one on the left on the drive is my old car and the one on the road is the new one.

The next challenge was to swap the engines, I have no mechanical experience at all but I thought it could be fun. I had a mechanic friend who helped me crane the engines around but left me to connect everything up.

Above my 221bhp engine looking a bit of a state after sitting for a year but still started first time.

Above is my old car with its heart ripped out!

Above, my new car about to have its standard engine removed.

Above, empty engine bay of the old car.

Now that both engines were out it was time to swap then around. So we decided the put the engine from the new back into the old one first for storage till it has been sold. (looking for £1000 rebuilt engine only done 4000 miles, new turbo and new gearbox have all receipts that come to £2500).

Above, Old car receiving new engine.

Above with my old engine in the new car it was time to start connecting all the electrics, pipes and charger cooler.

Above, now for the exhaust, off with the magnex system and on with my custom build.

Above, all ready and it started first time yeah!!! my first time do anything mechanical to a car and it was a success.

Then it was off to Power Engineering for a rolling road tune up. It ran 211bhp down a bit from last time but they reckoned this was because of the hot weather but the torque was up at 223lbs.

Above JaysS2TURBS also had his car on the rollers and ran a nice 195bhp with 199lbs of torque.

The old car is being broken for spares, most things are on ebay but if there are any little things you need for your cars let me know and I will see if I still have them.
Old 29-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Daz-Tyler
Regular Contributor

very nice m8,welldone
Old 29-07-2004, 01:16 PM
TEXAS PETE

Well done mate, good job!!!
Old 29-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Pistol Pete

Nice job you picked the best colour to must go very well on the open road Give your self a pat on the back and a
Old 30-07-2004, 11:57 AM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quality stuff mate.wanting to attempt the same thing my self but again got a limit knowledge of mechanics how hard did u think it was and how many days in total did it take you.ive got alot of friends who could help me with certain areas but there always in great demand so id prefer to do as much as poss myself.again big to you mate
Old 30-07-2004, 02:43 PM
eclipse

To be honest mate it wasn't difficult just time consuming. It took me 2 days 12 hours each day. What i did was take photos of the engine before i took it apart just incase. All the electrics and sensors are colour coded so very easy to find where it goes. The hardest bits believe it or not were getting the wheels off because I couldn't find the key for the locking bolts. Also the drive shafts really need 2 people to do them. A bit of advice though take the rad and turbo out before lifting the engine makes it much easier. Did the first engine with the turbo on so it can be done but there was a lot of chipped paintwork (on the scrap car thankfully). Oh I forgot trying the get oil in the gearbox is a c**t !!

Good luck shouldn't have too many probs.
Old 30-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks very much mate.think im deffo gonna give it a go.got loads of help available to me so just need to call out all the favours think ill take pictures as i go coz no doubt ill forget were everthing goes.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Zetec_mk4_XR3i
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice job mate thats a similar kind of idea to what i'm doing:

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54028

and seeing yours has definetely spurred me on to get my finger out!

DavS2 - whereabout in Edin are you mate? I work in Edin and stay in Fife!