Pictures, video & Photoshop Forum If you want to show off your photoshop skills, share pics and videos of your car or other cars you've found, here's the place to go.

Mk2 XR2 - TB's Sold - New Engine Soon

Search this Thread

Old 30-03-2006, 10:03 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers guys

31st March 2006
Tonights progress, my mate Stuart came round and finished the seam welding:

So after that was done, we cleaned the welds up, and started prepping the bay for primer:

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:02 AM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

1st April 2006
Well, it's now 1.45am(ish) and thats me just back in from the garage.

Continued rubbing the bay down:

Went over all the seam welds, and any bits that were bare metal:

Then finished it off:

Still got the slam panel and the very top of the bulkhead to do, but that can be left till tomorrow.

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:24 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

2nd April 2006

Only a minor update for tonight, just cleaning the engine up getting it ready to be painted:

A little bit more and it'll be ready to be painted. Going to give the engine a new head gasket and head bolts too. The engine will be going blue, and will do the rocker cover blue to suit too. The sump will be painted silver, the g'box and d'shafts will be black, then arms & anti roll bars will be silver.

Going for a simple but clean look.

4th April 2006

I forgot to take a pic of this last night, we gave the engine bay another coat of primer, and done the slam panel too:

Got the rocker cover, cams and tappets out of the engine:

Would have taken the head off tonight as well, but my torx set is at my brothers work, so he'll bring them home tomorrow.

Gave the engine a clean with degreaser, and then cleaned up some other little bits, just needs another clean with degreaser and then it'll be ready to paint

Also got the bushes out of the arms tonight, and gave them another coat of silver, but forgot to get a picture of that too

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Brian
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking good mate

Brian
Old 09-04-2006, 11:21 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

5th April 2006

Gave the arms another coat of paint, they are now ready to have the bushes put into them

Got started on cleaning up the rocker cover, this is a serious pain in the arse job as the sandpaper isn't doing much, so I'm having to use a screwdriver to pick at the paint, taking bloody ages to do!!

Got the head off the engine, flipped it over and then got the sump off, gave the engine another degreasing too:

Got the block painted up in blue, and it looks awesome! The picture shows it as being a very light blue because of the reflection from the flash, but it's actually alot darker, but is still a very bright, deep blue colour, very nice.

7th April 2006

My mate Stu came round again last night and sorted out the little bits of welding that were needed:

Just need a little skim of cataloy over that to totally tidy it up and it'll be mint

Gave the engine another coat of blue:

Sump ready to be painted:

The rocker cover, just about ready to be painted. This will be going red now.

My mate Jamie sanding down the g'box cradle:

Got the seam sealer on it now, and the engine bay will be painted on Saturday night

9th April 2006

Well guys, thats the engine bay painted!!!!

It's a really good finish, and I'm so chuffed

And here, you can see where the small hole was, was welded up, the welds ground back, and then a thin layer of cataloy just to smooth it off, can't tell it was ever welded now

And all thanks to this guy: my uncle Kieran, and I really can't thank him enough, so cheers mate I owe you ANOTHER one

So next week will be building the engine and starting to put things back together, so, hopefully won't be long until it's back together and running

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:44 PM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CCassidy

And all thanks to this guy: my uncle Kieran, and I really can't thank him enough, so cheers mate I owe you ANOTHER one

Hands up or I'll shoot

looking great Chris

Hows his mk2 coming on ?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:46 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

Cheers Dave

Nah, he's not a dodgy one, well, unless you mess him about (sorry unc!!)

His Mk2? Not coming along much TBH mate, and he's not the happiest camper in the world. He was originally planning to have it built and running by this point!!

You going to KH this Thursday for the track night?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:50 PM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Credit where credits due mate

He was saying the other month about it but thought it would be sorted by now TBH welders better get the finger out.

Not going on thursday but will be up on Sunday providing I dont have any problems with the car
Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 PM
xr2fatturbo
PassionFord Regular

looking spot on mate!!!!

LOVE THE XR2'S!!!
Old 13-04-2006, 12:39 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

10th April 2006

It's been a seriously hard push to get it this far, and considering we've not really burst serious amounts of arse, just plodding away every night until 10/11, sometimes 12 and even later at points during the week, then working away at the weekend.

And the amount of work thats been put in by everyone else who has been helping me out is FANTASTIC! I really couldn't have gotten anywhere near where I am just now without everyone, so, just a quick thanks (again, and I'll keep doing it, as everyone's a fooking star for helping me out!)

Mick, Big Gaf, Kev, Stephen, Jamie & Kieran

I owe all you guys big time!!

My vernier pulley's (no point taking pics of both of em )

The rocker cover starting to get painted, the backing of the Ford badge and the DOHC 16V bit are going blue as shown, then the raised letters will be done in silver, and the rest of the rocker cover will be red.

Got 2 coats of paint onto the sump tonight, in preperation of the bottom end being built up tomorrow night:

11th April 2006

The sump got a coat of spray VHT paint:

New sump gasket:

G'box got a couple of coats of VHT silver:

My new fuel pump:

Dunno if you's can read it, "MAX PSI 125" :twisted: Which is 8.62 Bar, so should have plenty of fuel pressure. This pump can run RS500's, so I'll need to watch out for my uncle Kieran stealing it, as his RS500 track car keeps killing pumps

Fuel pump mounting brackets, gave them a coat of VHT red:

The rocker cover all painted up, just got the silver to do on top of the letters, but it's looking awesome so far

12th April 2006

My fuel pump with it's mounting brackets on:

Painted the end bit of the box in blue, just to break up the silver, looks good to me

Got the sump on and turned the engine the right way up

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 13-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Sweet Chris mate, sweet!

Can't wait to see it on the go!
Old 20-04-2006, 10:54 AM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

Cheers Rab

18th April 2006

Well guys, was away camping during the long weekend there, so nothing got done, so got back into it tonight:

My new clutch It's a S1 clutch, was trying to get a new Ford one, but they no longer do them, and have none in stock in the UK (according to my local Ford twats)

New timing belt and tensioner kit:

The bodywork got a quick going over with T cut by my mate Jamie, just to see how much of a difference in colour there is between the original paint and the freshly painted bay:

Have gotta say, there is very little difference! Very chuffed with that

Also done down one side of the car, and it's looking superb again First time the car has been cleaned (even slightly) since last October

Also started getting the engine bay flatted down, trying to get as good a finish as we can get, but I didn't take any pics of that, as you can't tell any difference in the pics.

19th April 2006

Well, just now it's just tedious work thats happening, rubbing down the engine bay and polishing it up, so not much pics to be taken.

Got all the water pump area ready to have the waterpump to go on (not finished in this pic)

Got all the pistons cleaned up:

Got the flywheel off the CVH, drilled it out to take the larger zetec flywheel bolts, and put it onto the engine. Puts the flywheel on, and it seems as if there is no way that the fly will match up to the holes in the crank. So phones a mate who's been putting zetec's in Mk2's for years, asks him why it's not fitting, and what fly we should use, and he confirms that it should be fitting. But while talking he reminds us that we should be using an EFi flywheel, as thats how the zetec gets the timing from the crank [via timing marks in the back of the flywheel and flywheel sensor](I was using my carb'd CVH fly, and previously we've never had a problem doing this, but thats because all the other ones we've built have used twin 40's!!) So REALLY glad we spoke to him, as we would have gotten it all built together, and then be going mental as to why we weren't getting a spark from the coilpack!

So, seriously lucky escape for us there A pic of the CVH fly just loosely bolted on:

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 26-04-2006, 01:54 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

20th April 2006

Got the water pump mounted tonight:

Got the brake bar painted up:

Brake bar bracket painted:

Crank case breather being cleaned up for painting:

Clutch bracket on the box ready to be painted, but ran out of paint tonight:

Master Cylinder ready to be painted:

Cleaned up were the seam welding had marked the back of the bulkhead and stonechipped it:

Thats the engine bay all flatted, and polished now. Dunno if you can really tell a difference from these pics to the previous ones, but there is no orange peel effect on the paint anymore Huge thanks to my brother Mick for working away on his day off from work today

22nd April 2006

After LOTS of phoning scrappies, and only one place having a 1.4 CVH EFi flywheel (it was Ł15, and I had to take it out of the car), I went to a scrappy that I know of that aren't in the Yellow Pages. Goes in, and asks the guy, we have a trawl around the scrappy, and can't find one, I turn round and see a blue crank pulley poking up underneath other engines in a skip.

I think "Thats a CVH pulley, know that a mile away!" Has a look over, and yup, CVH, spots the coilpack and the timing marks on the back of the pulley. The guy gets the forklift over and gets the engine out of the skip for me. I asks him
"Much you want for it mate?",
he asks me "You take it off yourself?"
"Yeah, got my tools there"
"A couple of quid"

Minted! Got the flywheel for only Ł4!!!!! While taking it off, I'm searching over the block to check the capacity, but I can't see any of the stamps on it to say (the 1.6 flywheel is a 220mm fly, where as the 1.4 is a 200mm same as the S1 RST which is what clutch I have)

Takes it off, goes home and tries the clutch up beside it to check that it will fit, and nope, it doesn't. Turns out that it is a 1.6 CVH EFi flywheel, and I'll need to exchange my clutch, but its a damn site easier to change a clutch with the shop than to find another flywheel.

24th April 2006

Tonights progress:

The last bits of the g'box cradle, and the engine mount painted up:

G'Box sandwich plate painted:

Crankcase breather painted:

Crank sensor mount installed:

Painted the clutch arm on the g'box black, break the silver up a bit:

Drilled the 1.6 CVH EFi flywheel out to take 11mm bolts that the Zetec crank takes, then mounted that and the clutch:

G'box sandwich plate put in place:

G'box mounted!!!!

Looks superb in this pic I think, with the blue end casing and the silver bolts, very chuffed with how it's looking

Crank case breather mounted back on:

25th April 2006

Tonight, moved the car forward a bit in the garage, and got the rear end of it up onto stands so that we can get underneath it to get the fuel pump mounted:

Some pics of the floor with the interior out, my mate said to me "Can't be a real XR2, Chris, it's missing the factory fitted rust" Was VERY chuffed to see how good a condition it really is in

Started getting the g'box cradle onto the engine:

A pic of me when I was putting the steering rack in:

My brother Mick getting all the masking tape off the fuel & brake lines:

Steering rack in:

Where we have had to drill the floor to get the bolts through for the fuel pump mounting bracket:

The fuel pump in place:

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 27-04-2006, 01:14 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

26th April 2006
Well, tonight, got the g'box cradle on with new mounts, just using standard ones just now until I can afford better ones later.

Got the brake bar and master cylinder in:

Got the steering column in:

Got the heater matrix in:

Wiper motor in:

Standard loom back through:

We tried to fit the Weber Alpha loom through the hole that the standard loom comes through, and although the WA one comes with extra length on it, it's not long enough, so we're gonna have to drill a hole in the bulkhead on the passengers side, so that I can get the ECU into the glovebox.

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 29-04-2006, 09:59 AM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

27th April 2006

Got the fuel pump mounting brackets welded into place, then they got seam sealed:

Got the front panel welded, and then seam sealed:

Then painted over the seam sealer, I had a spraytin of Ford Diamond White made up last week, so it matches in perfectly.

The other side got stonechipped:

28th April 2006

Tonights work:

Got the sound deadening back in, also got the carpets and seats back in too, but didn't take a pic of that:

My fuel pump now covered in a NOS Octane Booster bottle that we had, just looks a damn site better than the pump does on it's own:

Drilled the hole in the bulkhead for the Weber Alpha Throttle Bodie loom:

Modified the CVH top mount to go onto the Zetec (read: chopped the bottom bit off it)

With the top mount fitted:

Got the bonnet catch back on, and the plastic hole covers at each end of the bulkhead:

And now it's Competition Time. Free Air Guitar Solo to the winner for this one guys!

Who can tell me the difference between this pic, and the next one...

Yup, thats right, I missed out half the bonnet catch in the 2nd pic.

*solos*

Thats for all those that got it right.

Honestly, so chuffed to actually have got it in the bay and all bolted up. I dunno if anyone else has the same kinda thing as me, you spend loads of time dreaming of what it'll be like to have the engine in, but when you have it done, it doesn't sink in, I can't really believe that we've really come this far!

Again, an unfeasable HUGE thanks to my brother Mick, and my mates Big Chris, and Jamie, I seriously cannot thank you guys enough for all the work you's have put in with me!

I cleaned up the brake fluid resovior, just left it overnight in hot water with soap power mixed, has brought it up very well I think:

Got it all mounted, along with the brake lines:

Got the front suspension and hubs back onto the car:

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:07 AM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

29th April 2006

Got the poly bushes into the arms:

Got the driveshafts in:

Got the arms in, ball joint, track rod end, anti roll bar (also polybushed):

Went and picked up the other engine I had to get, due to the exhaust studs being snapped in the head of the other one, and it being Ł25 a stud for them to be drilled out and helicoil tapped. I also needed a dipstick, due to the one on the other engine snapping when being taken off, due to the amount of rust. Plus, it also got my a spare bottom end (which will probably be used in my XR3i, as the big end shells are rattling their brains out) Got this engine for Ł50, so bargain all round IMO.

Got the inlet, rocker cover & cams out, started getting the exhaust stud bolts off to, but a couple were beginning to round, so left it for the night:

30th April 2006

Got the brakes on, and got them all bled up, very good feeling pedal. the spec is:
Tar.Ox Monza Drilled & Grooved Discs
Ferodo DS2000 Pads
Reconditioned Calipers
Goodridge Braided Hoses
Runs on Dot 5.1 fluid.

Got the Weber Alpha loom through the hole in the bulkhead:

On the next head I've got, another 3 exhaust studs have snapped, my mate is gonna be taking them to his work to drill them out tomorrow, but it's just another set back thats eating up time.

1st May 2006

Got the car back down onto it's wheels, as we were having a good clean of the garage, and wanted to move the car over a bit.

My mate Chris took the head to his work today, and drilled & retapped the snapped studs, HUGE thanks to him

Dropped the engine back out, and got it up onto the bench to make it easier to work on:

My brother Mick making modding the mount so that it clears the zetec head:

The modded mount:

Got the head cleaned up, here's a pic showing the before and after:

Got the pistons really cleaned up:

The engine built, the rocker cover is just sitting on, as I wanted to see how it would look altogether, and it looks awesome IMO!

The verniers:

My uncle's boss is coming round tomorrow night to sort the timing perfectly on the engine (as we all don't know what we're doing with Verniers, so leave it to him, as he's done it a LOAD of times before with his Cossie's)

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:14 AM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

2nd May 2006

My uncles boss came up to ours tonight, and sorted the timing for me (Seriously huge thanks to you Aly!)

Got the manifold wrapped:

Engine all built up before it goes in:

Engine in the bay :twisted: So glad thats it's all in now, and I'm grinning like mad Looks awesome sitting in there, just so chuffed

Got the manifold in to see how it was fitting, and realised that it won't go in with the alternator bracket on, and that the downpipe is fouling on the crankcase breather, so that will be "modified" a little to allow fitment.

3rd May 2006

Tonights Progress:

My brother was off work today, so has been working on it while I was at work, came in to see that he had gotten the manifold on, the starter and alternator all in.

He'd also fitted the Carello's that we took from one of the other XR2's we've got, it's always annoyed me that I never had a set:

Got 90% of the water pipes done (only 1 left to finish, and block the lower thermostat housing port)

Here's the top pipe:

From the water pump to the rad, this is a bit of a splice, using part CVH (the part from the rad) the large bore part is from the zetec cut down, and a metal reducer pipe from a Jaguar 4.0 straight 6, cut down to size to suit:

The TB's outta their box and protective wrapping:

On the manifold with linkages bolted up:

With the injectors mounted on:

Test fitted them on to see how they'd fit (well, really just done it to have a good old look at them on there) and so far I think they are looking fucking sexual!!!

Took them back off, and the red thing now sticking up from them is the "Cold Air Start Manifolds", supplied with the Weber Alpha kit:

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:37 AM
red shed
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

mate thats a stunning car u have there
Old 04-05-2006, 05:37 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Well done to you and all your mates

Hope its finished soon

Steve.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:52 PM
cc123
Virgin

Nice..................BTW, I just lurk on here!!

Chris, its Colin, Stephen's mate. I'll have to pop round sometime to get a gander at this machine your building, your bro told me all about what you had bought for it.....looking fookin ace mate, well tidy.

You scared the cack outta me when it was near standard, you'll need to take me out again once its all finished!

Oh, I'm moving just round the corner from you in about 3 weeks time, closer to you to drop in for a sqwizz!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very impressive just noticed the threa and read it from start to finish
Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Nice one Chris! Thats looking like quality mate

Just a pity mine is going to hump you
Old 08-05-2006, 09:46 AM
cossie_craig
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

good stuff! will be keeping an eye on you progress. fair play mate!
Old 08-05-2006, 12:13 PM
rocky_robin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Fantastic read! Keep it up!

Still mega jealous how much progress you've made over the past while.............I haven't touched mine in over 2 weeks and it's so nearly there!
Old 10-05-2006, 09:10 AM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by red shed
mate thats a stunning car u have there
Cheers mate

Originally Posted by cossie4i
Well done to you and all your mates

Hope its finished soon

Steve.
Cheers Steve, without my brother and my mates there is no way the car would be anywhere near where it is and to such a high standard as it is, I owe them so much, and really can't thank them enough, they really have all went above and beyond for me.

Originally Posted by cc123
Nice..................BTW, I just lurk on here!!

Chris, its Colin, Stephen's mate. I'll have to pop round sometime to get a gander at this machine your building, your bro told me all about what you had bought for it.....looking fookin ace mate, well tidy.

You scared the cack outta me when it was near standard, you'll need to take me out again once its all finished!

Oh, I'm moving just round the corner from you in about 3 weeks time, closer to you to drop in for a sqwizz!
Hey Colin, cheers mate

Yeah, Steph said to me that you'd got a flat just up the road (nice one BTW!), and you know mate, your more than welcome whenever you want to come down for a blatt out in the car!

Originally Posted by Red16
very impressive just noticed the threa and read it from start to finish
Cheers mate It's always good to hear other people saying good things about all the hard work we all put in

Originally Posted by Rab
Nice one Chris! Thats looking like quality mate

Just a pity mine is going to hump you
Cheers Rab!

You better hurry up and get yours done then mate, cause by the time you get yours done, we'll all be in flying machine's and you'll be on the unending search for Unleaded fuel!!!

Originally Posted by cossie_craig
good stuff! will be keeping an eye on you progress. fair play mate!
Cheers

Originally Posted by rocky_robin
Fantastic read! Keep it up!

Still mega jealous how much progress you've made over the past while.............I haven't touched mine in over 2 weeks and it's so nearly there!
Cheers Well, get a move on you tart! You know it'll be worth it when it's done! Get it finished and get driving!

4th May 2006

Got the windscreen washer bottle fitted:

Put the trumpets on the TB's and tried them on. Kinda came to a standstill with these last night, due to not having the airfilter mounting brackets to put on (the airtemp sensor is part of this bracket) and not having instant gasket to mount it on the engine either, and because of them not being mounted, I can't work out how much pipe I need to complete the Cold Air Start system, or mount the Cold Air Start Valve.

I did have a mess around in the bay as to work out where to put the new Fuel pressure regulator, and it will be getting mounted on the lip of the bulkhead.

Got the water system all plumbed in and tied down:

From the radiator to the thermostat housing:

The pipes into the heater matrix:

Showing the join between the return from the heater matrix and the water bottle:

From the heatermatrix/water bottle and the water pump into the rad:

I FINALLY got round to taking a good pic of the Auto Express feature the car was used in, click on the pic below to see the higher quality pic (around 500kb for the large pic)

9th May 2006

Well guys, I was away over the weekend to Paris with my GF for our Anniversary, came home late on Monday night, and my brother and a few of my mates had carried on when I was away (ANOTHER HUGE thanks to all you guys!!! I owe you BIG time!!)

My bro Mick had got it running when I was away, and here's what he had got done:

TB's all bolted in, cold start piping all done:

Pic showing Fuel Pressure Regulator, and the breather for the Cold Air Start valve:

Got the lettering polished:

Headlights and indicators in and all wired up:

And tonight after giving all the wiring a good check over we started to get the dash back in:

And a vid of the TB's running, fires up from the key with no problems at all!! I still need to pick up my air temp sensor and synchrometer then make sure all the TB's are taking the same amount of air, and thats it all done, all plugged in and wired in
Throttle Bodies Running Vid **6MB .wmv format**

Also got temporary insurance sorted today for the car, so we May 2006 be at FITP this weekend, depending on wheter I get the cover note through in time to tax the car, get all the daft little bits all done and MOT it, so if it goes, it looks like the trip down south for the camping on Saturday will be my first time driving it

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:31 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad its now running

Bet you was gutted your bro got it running while you was away.

Steve.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:17 PM
cc123
Virgin

Being a Zetec now, what happended to the Ashley system you had for it, you got something else fitted now?

What about suspension, got some trick stuff yet?

Much power you looking for, 150bhp+................???
Old 10-05-2006, 10:15 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

I'm using an Ashley 4 branch for a zetec, and using the Ashley system I had before, just needs a little modding to suit in with the new 4 branch.

The suspension is stuff I've had for a little while, it's Jamex, not the greatest in the world, but pretty competetant.

Power wise, Weber Alpha state that the Platinum Kit should make 185bhp (thats using a standard Ford manifold and with CAT's in place) but I have no CAT and using a 4 branch.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 PM
C1ARK
PassionFord Regular

Good work there

and quality read to
Old 11-05-2006, 09:39 PM
andyhardy
Advanced PassionFord User

Good work mate - are you getting it all mapped up together now then or does it come with a suitable base map?

How much was the Weber kit btw?

Andy
Old 15-05-2006, 01:38 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by andyhardy
Good work mate - are you getting it all mapped up together now then or does it come with a suitable base map?

How much was the Weber kit btw?

Andy
The WA kit comes all ready mapped for the engine, just plug and play.

The Gold Kit (the throttle bodies) is just under Ł2000 inc VAT, and then the Platinum Kit (remapped chip & cams) is around another Ł500 inc VAT.

And you get EVERYTHING with the WA kit.

Well guys, got back from Fiesta In The Park at about 11/12pm last night, and the car performed greatly, apart from the little problem I'm having with coilpacks (waiting on WebCon to phone me back just now so to discuss the problem)

But here's some pics:

On the MOT ramp on Friday, passed with flying colours 8) 8)

All loaded up and ready to go on Saturday to FITP

The car at FITP!

And I found this video of an XR2 with a scarily similar spec to mine

XR2 Driving Video **15MB .wmv Format**

The car is running a little flat, so will need to be set up, which I will get done ASAP (well, as soon as I can afford too ), but she's going VERY well at the minute.

And I'd just like to thank all the guys who helped me with it:

My brother Mick - Who without which, the car WOULDN'T be done, he's the one who really built this car, and I just helped, he's seriously done so much to make sure this car got to FITP, and I really can't thank him enough.

Big Chris - For giving me a hand all the time, and making up all the little custom bits that needed doing, cheers mate!!

Jamie - Cheif Polisher & Parts Painter - Cheers for all the hard graft mate! All the bits are looking awesome due to you putting in the graft mate, thanks alot!!

Stuart - For doing the seam welding, the welding work is AWESOME man!

My uncle Kieran - For painting the bay for me, the paintwork on it is fantastic!!

This car took only 7 weeks to build, and never once during that time did it leave the garage at my house. Just goes to show that to build a good car, you don't need to send everything away to so called "specialists".

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 15-05-2006, 01:59 PM
T28 RST
Ok then

It sounded nice when we passed you on the motorway
Old 16-05-2006, 10:29 AM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by T28 RST
It sounded nice when we passed you on the motorway
Cheers Davie

On the way down to the show was running the car in, so when you's all went past I didn't give it alot of stick, only down to 4th and 4000rpm (rev limiter is set to 7250) [BTW, the nice Magenta Saff is quick]
Old 16-05-2006, 10:30 AM
rsdene
Advanced PassionFord User

looking awesome mate well done
Old 31-05-2006, 01:38 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

Some new pics of the car:

At the Motor World Show at the weekend, with the other guys from the XROC:

I won 1st Place Standard Show & Shine (modified is for cars with big daft bodykits etc), so was soooooo chuffed with that Never ever expected the car to ever win any sort of prize.

After the show, having a little drive about, goes onto a dual carriageway just behind a bug eye shape Subaru Impreza WRX, I spotted him checking the mirror and then going to sink it, so I goes for it too Right along the full length of the road I stayed right behind him, was really cool watching him looking in the mirror all the way along with a look of "WTF?" on his face! Got to the end of it, and the bloke waved me in front and went back down the road, again, completely neck and neck, I couldn't pull away from him, and he couldn't gain.

So was really good to find out how quick the car actually is, at the minute it can at least keep pace with a standard WRX, so should hopefully be able to beat standard ones/keep pace with modded ones once it's set up.

Later on that night my bro had it out, and had a play with a Ninja 600cc and beat it!! :twisted: Bloke on the bike wasn't happy!

Loving this car so much, just such a little sleeper, really can't wait till it's all sorted out and up to full power :twisted:

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 31-05-2006, 01:58 PM
T28 RST
Ok then

You could have brushed your hair for the pictures
Old 31-05-2006, 02:48 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by T28 RST
You could have brushed your hair for the pictures
Pah, that is a perfected style that haircut there!

Thats the Been-to-a-wedding-reception-then-up-at-7am-to-go-to-a-car-show style
Old 06-07-2006, 08:39 AM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

1st July 2006

Well, I killed it.

Since we built it, I've had an oil leak from the crankshaft seal, I hadn't checked the oil in about 2 weeks (silly me) coming home from my brothers work where I had just spent about 2 hours cleaning the car (and forgot to check the oil, d'oh!), coming home, gave it a bit of welly, and drrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnnngggggggggg, ah buggery, that'll be the big ends singing their death song.

So, toddled home, left it for a while to cool down, and checked the oil, and there was more than I was expecting! Must have been getting ready to go shortly anyway.

So, I put it in the garage about 7 on Satuday night, and started working on getting it stripped, and then my bro came home from work and gave me a hand (HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE thanks again to him!)

We got the engine basically ready to come out on Saturday night by 10, but need a bigger bar to crack the hub nuts to get the shafts out the hubs, so that'll wait till tomorrow, but we took too bloody long, alot of faffing around trying to get the exhaust off the bloody thing, sucked up alot of time, shoulda really been at this point we are now about an hour quicker than what we were.

But oh well, the joys of car ownership, eh?

We shall crack on.

3rd July 2006

Well this pic shows where we had gotten to on Saturday night:

And then tonights progress:

The new block starting to be cleaned:

Showing the difference between the cleaned pistons and what they were like:

My mate Chris doing the painting on the block for me:

Block, sump & oil pump all painted up, using same colour scheme as before:

Not a great pic, but got the drivehshafts out, and the antiroll bars off:

And the engine out:

Also got my new head gasket set with bolts and new timing belt today.

And we'll crack on again tomorrow

4th July 2006

Tonights progress:

New sump gasket onto new engine & gave the engine & sump another coat of paint.

Got the head off the old engine.

Split the box from the old engine, and took the clutch & flywheel off.

Head onto new engine.

Water pump onto new engine.

Think thats everything we done tonight.

5th July 2006

Well, tonights progress:

The new engine on the far side of the pic with the head on, and the old block beside it:

The bay looking rather grubby:

Pushed outside the garage to get the bay cleaned up, I actually really like this pic 8)

The bay degreased and pressure washed, came up really well again, looks like it when we first built it:

The new engine all built up:

The engine and box together:

The rocker cover repainted (same colours again)

Shafts given a freshen up too:

Get the engine in tomorrow

Last edited by CCassidy; 17-10-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:27 AM
AGAR-COSWORTH
Redumbdancy

So have you found out exactly what caused the problem? Just the seal giving way?

An astonishing amount of progress already been made, im sure she'll be back on the road in no time, good weather for it too
Old 21-08-2006, 01:25 PM
CCassidy
PassionFord Regular

Well, got the engine in and all done with no problems (pics aren't showing just now due to my server being down at the mo)

I was at a tracknight the other week at Knockhill, and my mate got some pics of me out on track:

Had a great laugh, the car was going really well, I had a loan of a set of slicks, but they were a bit far gone before I got them (anyhoo, not complaining, stopped me from killing my road tyres), so I couldn't power round the corners at all, just understeering like mad, but huge fun was had none the less

The pics were taken by my mate Ian Cowie.

Quick Reply: Mk2 XR2 - TB's Sold - New Engine Soon