Other Marques Use this section for any non Ford marques.

Aircooled VW's.

Search this Thread

Old 21-05-2008, 05:29 PM
CWA
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aircooled VW's.

I noticed that this section is for discussion of cars other than Fords, although i haven't seen a car other than a Ford mentioned yet..
I hope this post isn't a crime on a Ford forum, and that it does not get promptly removed!

I know this is a Ford Forum, and as a VW fan I'm not coming on here to preach the up's and down's of VWs against Fords and vice-versa, quite the contrary - I am legitimately interested in becoming a part of the Ford scene.

It seems as though old VWs are mostly hated by all hardcore Ford fans, and vice-versa, but I'm sure there are those of you who have owned, worked on, and appreciated both types of vehicle in the past.

I am just wondering which of you guys has ever owned an old VW, and am curious as to what type of VW you had, what you did with it, and your general thoughts and feelings (they can't all be bad ones, can they?)

CWA
Old 21-05-2008, 05:38 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love certain VW.
My fave is the 914/6, but I like the Kubblewagen too as well as K70, and the beetle/mk1 golf/derby.
I would dearly love a 914/6, best car of that era by a mile.
Not done too much in depth with VW, my mum was learning to drive in one, a beetle, 2 speed auto, my mate in germany has one, and there is one on my estate.
I also thank the british army for making the beetle happen, but that's another story.
There is a green one, totally original like new new new it is, 13,000 from new only used 2/4 times a year, living about 5 miles away.
tabetha
Old 21-05-2008, 05:47 PM
CWA

Originally Posted by tabetha
I also thank the british army for making the beetle happen, but that's another story.
tabetha
lol it is indeed.

God bless Ivan Hirst
Old 21-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

My Dad used to own a 1960 ragtop beetle, never made it onto the road though
If anyone knows the whereabout of the bug that was 7801 KB I'll buy it, its was burgundy with black sides when it was last seen on the road.
The plates since been sold off, was on a hyundai santa Fe last I heard, but the guy who bought the car from my Dad restored it and It 's too rare a car for anyone to scrap.
Old 21-05-2008, 06:54 PM
CWA

Originally Posted by Daveysaff
My Dad used to own a 1960 ragtop beetle, never made it onto the road though
If anyone knows the whereabout of the bug that was 7801 KB I'll buy it, its was burgundy with black sides when it was last seen on the road.
The plates since been sold off, was on a hyundai santa Fe last I heard, but the guy who bought the car from my Dad restored it and It 's too rare a car for anyone to scrap.
I could make a request on the VolksZone forum for you fella, see if it's popped up anywhere on the VW Scene..?
(www.volkszone.com/VZi)

It 's too rare a car for anyone to scrap.
You'd hope so, but then there are some idiots around lol
Old 21-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Much appreciated if you could mate was in Wirral circa 1995
Old 21-05-2008, 07:49 PM
nickscunny
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i think veedubs are cool, i had a POLOGT breadvan the other year it was ace...

slammed -60mm at front and -40mm at rear on mk1 Golf GTi Tarrantula's with 185/45/13 tyres....
Old 21-05-2008, 08:08 PM
CWA

Much appreciated if you could mate was in Wirral circa 1995
ok mate, have made a post in their "Lost and Found" section, will keep you posted on any info.

are you sure of the registration plate? i've not seen a combination like that before, but it could just be because i am young!

if the plates have been sold onto another car, i'm not sure how much info they'll be able to dig up if any.. but will just have to see!
Old 22-05-2008, 09:03 AM
dunketh
Chief Iron Oxide Farmer.

I used to own a 1970s beetle.
One-piece front windows, inches from the ground on custom suspension and torsion bars fitted with huge wide alloys.

It looked the absolute nuts but lets be honest here, the crap engines let them down bigtime.
I had it as a stop gap whilst I repaired my Minor.
Stepping from a 1960s Morris Minor into a 1970s Beetle was like going back in time another 50 years. The bug was so wheezy and gutless to drive (1300cc) and the ride was so unrefined and uncomfortable I hated it.
BUT I loved it too! Work that one out???
Both the Minor and the Beetle would drift for england but the beetle was somehow more fun. The beetle was also the best handling car I'd ever owned - even if it did try to kill my spine on every trip.
If I could have fitted the 1300 MG engine from the Minor into the beetle I'd have had the perfect car imo.

I'd happily have another one - and no doubt hate it and love it the same again.

Pics:

Last edited by dunketh; 22-05-2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old 22-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Deffo the right plate, my dads still got one of the plates on the wall of his shed!
Old 16-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to own a 1962 Beetle, which was lowered 4 Splines at the rear and around 10" at the front. AFPMSL. The front was on Hydraulics, but it could be driven most places on full drop and as it was a little ratty, I didn't really care about hitting stuff.

I then took on a full body-off resto, but bailed out at the £10k spent mark as I could see another £10k in it easily. Was aiming at a Resto-Custom style with period accessories and a few modern twists, but (sadly) I got offered the RST and at the time it was SO SO good I couldn't turn it down (24,000 miler with full history, 1 owner etc).

A 15 year old lad bought the project from me for £2700 and I felt truly raped. Not sure if it ever got finished, but one thing I am fairly sure of is that it wouldn't have ended up how I had planned.

My Sister has had an early '60's Beetle, which was lowered loads and with a wooden roof-rack etc. She then sold that for a '60s Notchback, a blue one that was something to do with Type 3 Detectives before she bought it and was widely regarded as one of the best Type 3's in the UK along with the brown one which is also quite well known I gather. She then sold that and bought a Californian imported Split Bus which we lowered fucking loads. I have some pics of that somewhere and will post them if I find them. That was rat-look and she sold that for close to £10k from what I remember.
Old 16-06-2008, 05:18 PM
CalibreDan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copied across from the other VW thread...

Love my aircooled VW's, although going along the 'wrong' route (According to the 'scene')... It's all about Aircooled's with watercooled lumps

I had a splitty over from California, although being 18-19 it all got a bit expensive, spent a good £1k on a CSP disc conversion, dual circuit master cylinder etc then ran out of money and general interest in it so sold it on

My Bug, started with a 1641cc engine, AS41 case, Bugpack forged crank and rods, forged Mahles, 1.25:1 rockers, Engle 110 cam, twin 40 Kadrons... Used to be good fun til I blew it up Then put a standard engine in, and blew that up too... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgtQzqft1a4 Memories

Mum's other half has this, with a Scooby lump, 6 pots, rear disc conversion etc... Wanting to do the same to mine now

[URL=http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pictures065zl0.jpg]