Thread: Aircooled VW's.
View Single Post
Old 16-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to own a 1962 Beetle, which was lowered 4 Splines at the rear and around 10" at the front. AFPMSL. The front was on Hydraulics, but it could be driven most places on full drop and as it was a little ratty, I didn't really care about hitting stuff.

I then took on a full body-off resto, but bailed out at the £10k spent mark as I could see another £10k in it easily. Was aiming at a Resto-Custom style with period accessories and a few modern twists, but (sadly) I got offered the RST and at the time it was SO SO good I couldn't turn it down (24,000 miler with full history, 1 owner etc).

A 15 year old lad bought the project from me for £2700 and I felt truly raped. Not sure if it ever got finished, but one thing I am fairly sure of is that it wouldn't have ended up how I had planned.

My Sister has had an early '60's Beetle, which was lowered loads and with a wooden roof-rack etc. She then sold that for a '60s Notchback, a blue one that was something to do with Type 3 Detectives before she bought it and was widely regarded as one of the best Type 3's in the UK along with the brown one which is also quite well known I gather. She then sold that and bought a Californian imported Split Bus which we lowered fucking loads. I have some pics of that somewhere and will post them if I find them. That was rat-look and she sold that for close to £10k from what I remember.