Other Marques Use this section for any non Ford marques.

strange Mondeo noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 06:32 PM
davidnormanuk
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange Mondeo noise

Got a funny problem with my girlfriends Mondeo, Sometimes when she's driving, theres a noise from the front middle of the car, a knocking when she sets off and intermittent knocking when driving. drive shafts, lower arms have been replaced, could it be an engine mounting or maybe clutch bearing?? also it feels loose when driving on uneven roads, she says it handles like a bag of squirrels!!
Old 13-11-2006, 11:43 AM
pwhitelock

When you say from the middle off the car where exactly do you mean. Around the steering rack area or in the engine bay?
And by lower arms i assume you mean the wishbones?
Could be an ABS fault from the knocking noise, however this wouldnt make it handle badly.
Old 13-11-2006, 03:01 PM
lickafish
Virgin

Hiya, its actually my car, I didn't have my log in details handy though so used someone else's. Its a funny thing, as I'm setting off I can hear the noise and feel a slight shifting in the middle area of the front, it handles really badly and pulls to the left, I have had the tracking done three times and the wheels balanced, all to no avail, garage says the tracking is spot on. very odd!! Did have a bad experience a short while ago though, the coil suspension spring (drivers side) snapped on the M1, I have had both sides replaced but it did create a lot of heat when it went as it grabbed the tyre and wouldn't let go! could it have caused further damage as it went? any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Debbie
Old 14-11-2006, 08:54 AM
pwhitelock

Id say so yes. Possibly worth getting all your arms and joints checked out around the area. What condition are your front wishbones in?
Old 14-11-2006, 09:57 AM
lickafish
Virgin

Default wishbones and other bits

The wishbones and other bits have all been replaced in the last year because its got galactic mileage and was starting to wear as they do, I did however have a slight altercation with a rover a while ago but it was only at about 5 mph if that and the damage to mine was cosmetic only, it hasn't driven any worse since that, just the same as it does now which is badly!! its driving (if you'll pardon the expression) me nuts!! am reluctant to take her to a garage because they're a right bunch of robbing beggars.
Old 14-11-2006, 11:34 AM
pwhitelock

I crashed last year into a car at only around 10mph and thought my damage was only cosmetic. However when the garage looked at it they said the chassis had bent a bit and they had to straighten it on a jig. Maybe there is some underlying damage. Dont know how much to check the chassis though as all the work was sone via the insurance
Old 14-11-2006, 03:24 PM
lickafish
Virgin

Default jigging it

I know someone that has a jig (not the Irish kind hehe) so maybe able to get them to see if she is bent, hopefully that will sort it otherwise I'm a bit stumped and stuck with a car that drives like its got oval wheels.
Old 14-11-2006, 06:16 PM
pwhitelock

You tried posting on the mondeo owners club? If you cant get any answers i will post on ukcougar.com for you. As the cougar is a mondeo with a fancy shell.
Old 14-11-2006, 06:55 PM
lickafish
Virgin

Hiya,
No I haven't posted on there, there used to be Mondeosunited, Is that still about do you know? I have put the address in but my pc's having a bit of a wobbler and won't load it up so don't know if it's still going. thanks for posting on the cougar site, its all a bit new to me this forums stuff but am sure I'll get used to it as I have had lots of car problems this year What cougar do you have? I looked at the V6 cougar and they're pretty cool.
Debs
Old 14-11-2006, 07:41 PM
pwhitelock

Unfortunately iv only got the 2L 16V one But the power is getting there slowly but surely.
I know theres a mondeo forum by the name of fordmondeo.org. Just try searhing mondeo owners club into google or summet.
Old 15-11-2006, 06:32 AM
lickafish
Virgin

you can do a lot with the 2.0L lump though cant you, they make them tough enough to withstand a bit of tuning, May have to get a smaller one myself if I keep crashing into people lol, won't be able to insure anything bigger than a 1.0!! been a real bad year for my car this year, every things been broken at one point or another.
Debs
Old 15-11-2006, 09:13 AM
pwhitelock

Originally Posted by lickafish
you can do a lot with the 2.0L lump though cant you, they make them tough enough to withstand a bit of tuning, May have to get a smaller one myself if I keep crashing into people lol, won't be able to insure anything bigger than a 1.0!! been a real bad year for my car this year, every things been broken at one point or another.
Debs
Yes you can tune it a fair bit. Thats what i am doing at the mo. Got around 20-30bhp more at the mo out of it.
Old 15-11-2006, 09:18 AM
pwhitelock

OK i have posted your problem on the cougar forum to see if anyone can help. Ill let you know if i get any replies (well any helpful ones anyway ).
Old 15-11-2006, 11:26 AM
pwhitelock

1st response

'That sounds positively dangerous.

The only thing that came to mind was the front anti-roll bar bushes are knackered. This would cause all sorts of weird handling problems. I hope that it's this as it would be a simple, cheap fix. Get it checked out soon though.'

2nd response

'I reckon it's the diff actually

Before checking that though, it's worth checking to make sure the subframe is securely bolted to the bodyshell.......'

3rd response

'Quick way to check for engine mounts - get someone to sit in the car and rev the engine. If the engine lurches back and forth - engine mounts. My fiesta used to do that. I thought it was cool at first, then realised 2 of the mounts were badly damaged, and it was VERY not cool! '
Old 22-11-2006, 12:09 PM
davidnormanuk
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Checked the car out and it turns out the front shocks are on their way out. Full suspension kit is on its way.
Old 25-11-2006, 07:20 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default knocks

Knocking could be caused by drop links very common, and when under load fitted to car hard to spot, take off and soon see if they are shot.
tabetha
Old 27-11-2006, 10:02 AM
pwhitelock

Originally Posted by davidnormanuk
Checked the car out and it turns out the front shocks are on their way out. Full suspension kit is on its way.
Glad you have it sorted. Have you ordered a direct standard replacement or a lowered kit
Old 29-12-2006, 01:20 AM
B16ROB
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

hmmmmm i have a feeling that maybe the problem my mk1 2.0si is having after the car has been moving for a bit when i take off i get a clunk clunk clunk in quick succession after take off from the lights or from standstill as the front of the car is lifting also on lift off of the accelerator pedal in high rev range

so far i have had the wishbones upgraded to a tough steele and polybushed

one top engine mount by the water tank onna look into others too

but then i have been thinking maybe shocks and springs

top mounts etc

or worse case sceneario drive shafts, thrust bearings, or gearbox
Old 13-05-2007, 04:48 PM
tarmac terriost
Regular Contributor

the answer your looking for would be the torque restrictor under the middle of the car at the front big mount that holds the gearbox and engeine these knock when pulling away and slowing down also when you operate the clutch too,these are common too

i have done a few of these now lol
!!!