Motorcycle Chat & Sales We do fast cars and fast bikes. Keep the bike chat and adverts in here please folks!

Bikers - help - First bike

Search this Thread

Old 19-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bikers - help - First bike

Evening all...

I'm 99% going to do my bike test at the end of October was going to do Direct Access etc...

BUT..

I've seen a local shop has 0% finance and bike licence on the sort of bike I was told to buy...

Was advised get something like a 'bandit' which appears to be a 600cc bike..

So whats the difference between a bandit and say a GSXR600?

http://www.streetbike.co.uk/

Thats where I'm looking at the mo

Any advice and help appreciated - I'd rather get a nice bike etc.

Ta

Jake
Old 19-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All depends what you want to use it for.
Commutings etc, a bandit 6 or a fazer or similar, if its a play bike go for a gsxr750 or an r6.
Dont be put off by the power of the bikes, they only go as quick as you twist the throttle!!
Im on my 2nd gsxr 750 now, sold a 750 srad as it was the most uncomfortable thing ive ever ridden, went and bought a 1991 slingshot and I love it
Old 19-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well I have NO experience what so ever.

I would like something for occasional commuting.

The power doesn't put me off - my 'gurus' tell me that I will drop it and probably want something like a bandit as their cheap to buy and robust and reliable.

I just don't really understand the difference.

That shop has GSXR600's and GSF650 (Bandits) I don't understand the difference.
Old 19-09-2011, 09:46 PM
7sean7m7
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

A bandit will be much more comfortable to ride than a gsxr, mainly due to the riding postion and the way the bike is set up.
Old 19-09-2011, 10:04 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Don't bother with a bandit,I followed exactly that advice and it was crap,badly built,felt fast but was awful on the motorway as it had no fairing.
Was fine on fuel etc but I got bored very quickly on it,heavy old thing too.
Sv650 was a better bike,looked much nicer too,but if I were you I'd get a 2nd hand bike first,something like a cbr 600 or yam thundercat etc,their great bikes,do everything better than a bandit and if you drop it it's not the end of the world,£1500 will get you a really good one with years left in it,I may even know for a thundercat for under a grand that's perfect,as pretty much everything big 4 is (that's Honda,yamaha,Kawasaki and Suzuki).

Don't make the mistake I did,I barely used mine but I still had to meet the hp every month,it soon pisses you off.

I've now got a 1996 fzr 600r and I love it,it's geared down so flies up to 130,on a private road of course,and it's just as comfy as the bandit,much better on the motorway and cost me bugger all!!!
Old 19-09-2011, 10:13 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I started on a 2001 Fireblade and hated it, after 6 weeks I got a 98 R1 and never looked back since.

Depends what you want it for and how you plan to ride. Are you going to commute and just potter about or is it just going to be a toy for going out with the lads and having fun with the occasional bit frisk?
Old 19-09-2011, 10:18 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

get a 600 srad mate,cheap as chips and still quite a quick little thing imo then dont matter if you bin it

Trending Topics

Old 19-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I really can't see myself battering round country lanes.

Just the odd ride out - but mostly a commute down the motorway and around town.

Bandit doesn't sound too good from that point of view.

I understand the payments thing - but at £200 for 2 years its not the end of the world?

So in english what other bikes should I be looking at - I don't understand bike talk yet

J
Old 19-09-2011, 10:25 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CBR600F would be something you'd probably get on with quite well and would suit your riding requirements to begin with.

Have a read of this....
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bi...2000--current/
Old 19-09-2011, 10:35 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Shings
I really can't see myself battering round country lanes.

Just the odd ride out - but mostly a commute down the motorway and around town.

Bandit doesn't sound too good from that point of view.

I understand the payments thing - but at £200 for 2 years its not the end of the world?

So in english what other bikes should I be looking at - I don't understand bike talk yet

J
cheap and more importantly you wont care when you drop it
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSX...item4aaeee879c
Old 19-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
cheap and more importantly you wont care when you drop it
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSX...item4aaeee879c
Yeh - I saw that - but man thats some miles.

If I am honest for the price of bikes I wouldn't care if I dropped a more expensive bikes...

I've lost more on a cosworth in 6 weeks than any of the bikes I've looked at so far.

But keep em coming.... lol
Old 19-09-2011, 10:57 PM
lacey

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a 750 srad , great bike and cheap now and fast, I now have a k7 gsxr with all the knobs snd bells lol, and that's even faster , gsxr a bloody good bikes but as most super bike there not that confy unless your seeing over a ton on the speedo , ccm are good if you want fun and movability , but I will say do a track day as soon as you pass as this will help your riding more than you can imagine , and one other thing think about everything your doing when on your bike as any bike can put you in a wooden box as I've seen in the past
Old 19-09-2011, 11:35 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

1st bike? no experience?
get a £500 bandit and when you throw it down you can fix it for £10

get something on finance for big money and that tiny scratch will cost more that a tatty bandit

dont get me wrong i hate bandits, i passed my test and bought a fireblade but i think every person who bought a bike and passed test with no experience wrecked their bikes and gave up
most of my family have bikes and ride regularly and you should work your way up, somethign pretty for 3 sunny afternoons a year get pretty, something to rat about to get experience and not lose much money on and you look sub 1000 with cheap insurance and repair costs
Old 20-09-2011, 03:58 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Buy a cbr600f, best 600 bike for what you need by a long long way.
Comfy upright ish riding position big comfy seat, very forgiving and go where you want them to. There easy as fuck to ride fast and aint that much slower than
a full on 600 super sports.
My mate is in exactly the same situation as you and i have given him exactly the same advice. I bought a 600 bandit for a first bike and i loved it but looking back
a cbr600f would have been the better choice.
Old 20-09-2011, 06:38 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

buy my VFR750 - the best bike ever built and perfect for a beginner
Old 20-09-2011, 07:20 AM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

Great thread, I've been thinking of starting one of these myself..

I am in a similar position, passed my CBT on a geared bike on Sunday and have also passed my theory so about to start the DAS.

I have a budget of approximately a grand (have had to buy ALL the gear too) for a bike and at the moment its a toss up between a 91-95 Honda VFR 750 or a Yamaha Thundercat 600r... I think I am swaying towards the Thundercats (shnarfff) just because for the money they look a little more modern than the VFRs

I had never ridden a geared motorbike until my CBT last weekend and got on ok, managed to get out on the road for a decent ride and didnt stall / no major fuckups, just a couple of times I couldnt coordinate getting off the throttle and applying the brake so ended up in a spazzy rev brake situation, but had the clutch in so no embarrassing / painful effects! I think I need some better gloves as the ones I were using were hand me downs from my bro and they are REALLY thick :-/

Best of luck with your DAS

EDIT: I never noticed how affordable the CBR could be, thanks for the heads up

Last edited by dvid; 20-09-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 20-09-2011, 07:22 AM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Evening all...

I'm 99% going to do my bike test at the end of October was going to do Direct Access etc...

BUT..

I've seen a local shop has 0% finance and bike licence on the sort of bike I was told to buy...

Was advised get something like a 'bandit' which appears to be a 600cc bike..

So whats the difference between a bandit and say a GSXR600?

http://www.streetbike.co.uk/

Thats where I'm looking at the mo

Any advice and help appreciated - I'd rather get a nice bike etc.

Ta

Jake
the biggest difference is the gsxr is a start in the sorts bike world (good first bike) and the bandit well just looks gay lol
Old 20-09-2011, 08:05 AM
CraigJ
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

The big difference is the insurance. I passed last year and bought a gsxr600. Loved it but so uncomfy. Insurance was 300 quid. This was before all the rises. I now have a 2009 z750 and love it too.

If all you want is something to commute on you cant go wrong with a cbr600. Thinking of one for my fiancee next year. Great bikes. Bullit proof and cheap. Also still quick when you want them to be.
Old 20-09-2011, 10:46 AM
GaryHurn

I got a 2002 zx636 after passing in may

It's brilliant so easy to ride, brilliant engine with enough torque to ride lazily!

Comfortable riding position and seat

When you want it to it goes like hell
Old 20-09-2011, 11:21 AM
deano2690
Regular Contributor

Suzuki SV650 S?
Old 20-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Farmer Giles

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ZX6r for my money. Either G or J models (both 600cc) or A model (636cc).

all essentially the same bikes, easily fast enough and all day comfy if needed.

good examples around for under £1500 and plenty of spares on Ebay and the like..

2p
Old 20-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ideal time to buy a bike Jake lol

go and sit on a few as they can all feel very differant dependant on your height/proportions

might be able to get you some serious discount on a new triumph (Daytona 675 looks very nice) if that floats your boat?
Old 20-09-2011, 12:20 PM
cossie350

I was in this situation 2 years ago, i had a read on all of the bike forums 90% say steer clear from a super sport (gsxr/cbr/zxr) for your first bike because you will kill yourself. This dis-heartened me as i had my heart set on a cbr 600 rr.

I spoke to the chap i did my lessons with and he basically said "you can ride a fast bike slow, but you cant ride a slow bike fast" and that its all down to the individual.

I waited till i was 28 to do my bike test as i didnt trust myself on a bike before this age. If you have had 450bhp ish cars it helps alot as you will have an understanding of how a quick squirt on the throttle between corners can land you in the shit, and braking distances etc.

As said above go sit on loads of bikes, this is the ONLY way you will find the one for you, i ended up with a gsxr even though i had my heart set on a cbr, take a friend with a bike too because normally if you look right on a bike it will feel right.

Whatever you get be careful for your first couple of 1000 miles .
Old 20-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Buy a cbr600f, best 600 bike for what you need by a long long way.
Comfy upright ish riding position big comfy seat, very forgiving and go where you want them to. There easy as fuck to ride fast and aint that much slower than
a full on 600 super sports.
My mate is in exactly the same situation as you and i have given him exactly the same advice. I bought a 600 bandit for a first bike and i loved it but looking back
a cbr600f would have been the better choice.
^This!

Dont fuck around with a hideous bike that you dont want to be seen dead on. Rule out the bandit as you're not a fat cunt 40 year old and get sore wrists on a sportsbike.

Dont even dream of a gaylord sv650. Gads. I'll call that the XR3i of biking world. People seem to think they are kinda cool but everyone knows deep down that they suck fucking balls.

A CBR6 should be quite cheap at this time of year if buying 2nd hand.

I wouldnt necessarily rule out a gsxr 6 or ninja but as alps says they are perhaps comfier than others.

Originally Posted by dvid
I have a budget of approximately a grand (have had to buy ALL the gear too) for a bike and at the moment its a toss up between a 91-95 Honda VFR 750 or a Yamaha Thundercat 600r... I think I am swaying towards the Thundercats (shnarfff) just because for the money they look a little more modern than the VFRs

A grand for everything?! Forget it IMO. Save until you can get nice stuff. I thought I'd go in cheap on my first gear and instantly hated it. Bikes are cool and need cool gear. Forget your shark lids and no-namer textyle jackets.

Thundercats are AWFUL. Totally dated and shit slow.

Spend your money wisely mate
Old 20-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get ya self a bike thst suits you as said go and have a properr sit on them pref with your leathers on and see how you feel then!

I had blade 2-3 years ago I could never have got on with it so sold it and got an Aprillia rsvr factory soooo much nicer to ride, so im tild not used in 18 months so think I will be selling soon
Old 20-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Twellsie
ideal time to buy a bike Jake lol

go and sit on a few as they can all feel very differant dependant on your height/proportions

might be able to get you some serious discount on a new triumph (Daytona 675 looks very nice) if that floats your boat?

Whats serious discount Rich???
( yeh I know wrong time but hey how)

This thread is great thanks peeps - I've been looking a lot and quite like the look of the Yamaha Diversion thing or GSRX is I am going for new... I think a trip to bike shops at the weekend are in order....
Old 20-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Buy a decent lid too, spend as much as you can on it too. Dont buy cheap shit, theyre heavy and WILL knacker your neck muscles.
Goes without saying too, DONT buy a lid mail order. try in on first.
Go buy a gsxr750, if you buy a 6 you'll alwaysa wonder what if
Old 20-09-2011, 06:16 PM
imnoteasy

my advice is buy what you want from the start or as above has said, youll always wander.

my first bike was a ducati 748, never looked back

get what you want and take your time on it,
Old 20-09-2011, 06:20 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

learn from people who have been there and done it.

i started biking at the age of 30, and have learnt to 'buy once, buy right'. it might seem expensive at first to buy the right boots, gloves, helmet, jacket(s), trousers etc but it's worth it in the end.

this also applies to your bike in a way, because if you are absolutely sure that you want a sportsbike (and i wouldn't as my only bike), then get one from the beginning.

in some ways i would advise buying new for your first bike, as you know there is no bad history to worry about, only straightforward maintenance to do until you get used to it etc which is what i did. i bought a new bike on a guaranteed buy back scheme so that i knew after 18 months i would be moving onwards and upwards. but in other ways it might be better to have an older, less valuable bike to really learn on.

Originally Posted by dvid
Great thread, I've been thinking of starting one of these myself..

I am in a similar position, passed my CBT on a geared bike on Sunday and have also passed my theory so about to start the DAS.

I had never ridden a geared motorbike until my CBT last weekend and got on ok, managed to get out on the road for a decent ride and didnt stall / no major fuckups, just a couple of times I couldnt coordinate getting off the throttle and applying the brake so ended up in a spazzy rev brake situation, but had the clutch in so no embarrassing / painful effects! I think I need some better gloves as the ones I were using were hand me downs from my bro and they are REALLY thick :-/

Best of luck with your DAS

EDIT: I never noticed how affordable the CBR could be, thanks for the heads up
dude, i'm only up the road in haywards heath. pop round and have a go on the vfr, see what you think. or i'll take you on the back. i seriously recommend one as a first and only bike as it will do everything. much better to start riding on than a cbr, as there is instant power throughout the rev range, not a gutless wonder until you get to 9000 rpm.

take a look at this one for sale near you for example. that's a lot of bike for the money. don't worry about the mileage, they will go on to do 200,000 miles no problem (no cam chain or anything to worry about).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180718278071
Old 20-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

been looking a lot and quite like the look of the Yamaha Diversion thing ....
oh dear
Old 20-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

WTF

COME ON - I know fuck all... I am here for all your valuable knowledge.
Old 20-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

WTF

COME ON - I know fuck all... I am here for all your valuable knowledge.

What the fucking fuck! Lol

Try not to make a rushed decision. It's hard not to want more from a bike so don't buy a shit slow one that you're stuck with.

If you buy a decent enough second hand sports bike you shouldn't lose too much if you buy wisely.

Look for a bike that has the small extras you might want. Ie double bubble screen and can minimum. Then say tail tidy and crash bobbins. This will save money in the long run.

If in doubt just ask

By the way for insurance call bike sure who I've been with since year 2. So 7 years with them and other companies can't even come close!
Old 20-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Lambchop
What the fucking fuck! Lol

Look for a bike that has the small extras you might want. Ie double bubble screen and can minimum. Then say tail tidy and crash bobbins. This will save money in the long run.

THIS MEANS BOBBINS to me....

What the fucking fuck indeed!!!!
Old 20-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

THIS MEANS BOBBINS to me....

What the fucking fuck indeed!!!!
Double bubble screen is one that's more aerodynamic and send air up over your head.

Can is exhaust can. A bit like a back box but it's all you really need on a bike. IMO a can helps u hear the engine and blip down changes etc.

Crash bobbins screw into various places and protect the frame and panels if you drop the bike. I dropped my gsxr and it totally saved the main fairing

Tail tidy replaces the normally massive and hideous piece of plastic that holds on your number plate. It can transform the look from the rear.
Old 20-09-2011, 09:32 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

what style of bike do you like i only like sports bikes so if i was you wouldent look at any thing other than a 636 ninga / 600rr / gsxr 600 or an r6 but thats my taste so you have too think do i like sports bikes or big gay tourers lol or maybe go super moto there fun i had a husky 410sm wasent very fast but fun had it after a gsxr600 (first bike) then ended up with an r1 but dont have a bike at the mo but will again next year
Old 20-09-2011, 09:39 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Jake,

the first thing you need to do is think about what you will use the bike for as that will dictate to some extent what type of bike is most suitable for you. don't be talked into getting a sports bike if it won't suit your needs, although depending on the model and your build etc, there's nothing to say that you can't tour on a sportsbike for example.

but you want to get the bike that suits the majority of your riding the majority of the time.
Old 21-09-2011, 06:46 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

there's a good real world road test of the current sports 600s in this month's RIDE magazine if that's of interest
Old 21-09-2011, 05:46 PM
CraigJ

Go for what ever you want. My first bike last summer was a 99 GSXR 600. Paid a grand for it and used it for 6 months but found that it didn't suit me. As much as i liked it, it would kill my left hand and my ass once i had been on it for an hour. And i started to hate the thing.

Went to look at other bikes and decided i wanted a more up right bike that would be less painful to ride. Ended up with a 09 Z750. Nice low down power so you don't have the ring its neck all time. I've done about 3000 miles on it so far in just over 6 months. I

You need to decide what you want the bike for. If its just for weekend fun then buy what ever you like. If you are just going to work and back then get something comfy and reliable. There isn't anything wrong with a bandit 650 for say commuting and as a first bike. There cheap and easy to ride.

Best advice i can give is go for a 600 and second-hand for the first bike. Get a years no claims then sell up and buy new bike. Your insurance will drop loads after the first year.

Ive been getting quotes between 700 and 900 pounds for a cbr600rr but with 1 years NCB it is only 180 quid. I'm 28 and have been riding just over a year but had to swap insurance company's for the Z so haven't got a years NCB yet.

Go to a decent size bike shop for your gear. Try on loads as they all fit different. But buy decent stuff as this is what can save your life if you do come off. Dont be cheap with your helmet either. Get a good quality lid with pin locks and make sure you get a anti-fog screen. best £25 i have spent.
Old 21-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Right

At the moment I work either 60 miles away down a dual carriageway and the M6 or I work a few miles away.

I would like a bike suitable for both.

A more sit up type bike is fine - not sure about an out and out sports bike.

I checked insurance and its £149 for the year on a bandit which seems peanuts too me...

I am going to go to some bike shops over the weekend and look at whats on offer....

One thing I do not want to do is use it for fun blasting down country lanes... I am a complete and utter fucking tool at the best of times and if I get like that on a bike I will kill myself and I'd rather not do that - I'm lucky I am alive as it is.... eek
Old 21-09-2011, 08:36 PM
cossie350

Dual carriageway/motorway is shit on a bike, if i have somewhere to go i will go a long way out of my way to avoid these, on a sports bike your tucked behind the screen to get out of the wind and its boring. Sit up bike your head feels like its going to fall off, if you plan on doing 60 miles, go lay on your back in bed and hang your head off the end of the bed and tense your neck so your head is level. do this for 60 mins and thats what its going to feel like when you get to work.

Going for a blast is what owning a bike is about IMO, if your not into that i would consider saving your money and stick with a car.

Quick Reply: Bikers - help - First bike