Motorcycle Chat & Sales We do fast cars and fast bikes. Keep the bike chat and adverts in here please folks!

Yamaha R6 As A First Bike... Bad Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 27-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

My first bike was an R6. I found it so much lighter than any bike I had ridden before. Awesome performance without being too silly.

Enjoyed having it then traded in in for an R1.

go for it mate
Old 27-06-2009, 05:26 PM
chris^si
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had 2 GSXR's before moving to an R1, which is twice the build quality of a Suzuki imo, but for a first time rider i would suggest a gsxr or honda, alot more forgiving on the road and cheaper all round. R6 is ment for the track tbh.
Old 27-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris^si
but for a first time rider i would suggest a gsxr or honda, alot more forgiving on the road and cheaper all round. R6 is ment for the track tbh.
What a load of tosh!
Old 28-06-2009, 12:34 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr C
I had a GSXR 750 as my first bike, my mate bought a blade and my other work mate bought an R1 as his, none of us have died, - you dont have to use all the power all the timeyou can be killed at 30mph on anything. obviously if you struggle with self control I recommend doing track days only as you wont last long on the road riding like a tit
Now i aint saying your mates cant ride however there are loads of people out there on the roads with litre bikes that cant ride for shit as there scared shitless of the power and cant use 50% of the power. The only reason they buy litre bikes is becasue of the bragging rights in the pub and in all honesty these people would be way quicker on a 600, i know a lad who had a 600 bandit as his frst bike then started running his mouth about "600's are shit not fast enough" he went out and bought a gsxr 750 and couldnt get it to go round corners as he was scared to lean it over. Was funny as fuck riding behind him watching him corner hanging off the bike tying to get his knee down with a 10 degree lean on at 50mph on a 120mph sweeping bend lol
Old 28-06-2009, 01:28 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Now i aint saying your mates cant ride however there are loads of people out there on the roads with litre bikes that cant ride for shit as there scared shitless of the power and cant use 50% of the power. The only reason they buy litre bikes is becasue of the bragging rights in the pub and in all honesty these people would be way quicker on a 600, i know a lad who had a 600 bandit as his frst bike then started running his mouth about "600's are shit not fast enough" he went out and bought a gsxr 750 and couldnt get it to go round corners as he was scared to lean it over. Was funny as fuck riding behind him watching him corner hanging off the bike tying to get his knee down with a 10 degree lean on at 50mph on a 120mph sweeping bend lol
I agree, very true regarding 1000's! Id say the vast majority would be quicker on a 600/750 on the road. ive been test riding a few different bikes lately, and if you want to go quick and have fun then get a 600/750, and if you want to ride lazy and show off that you have the most powerful bike, then get a 1000. In my opinion of course.
Old 28-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S1rst
I agree, very true regarding 1000's! Id say the vast majority would be quicker on a 600/750 on the road. ive been test riding a few different bikes lately, and if you want to go quick and have fun then get a 600/750, and if you want to ride lazy and show off that you have the most powerful bike, then get a 1000. In my opinion of course.
Its all about the rider, if you get a good hand on a 600 he would eat a average rider on a thou, if you get a good hand on a thou and a good hand on a 600 the bloke on a thou would be quicker unless the road was mega twisty wth no straights at all. You can still go fast and have fun on a thou its just most people cant cause there fucking useless lol all you need to do is go to your local biker cafe and look at all the bikes with 2"chicken strips and blokes with untouched knee sliders.

Ps yes all my rear tyre is used and my sliders are scuffed to fuck lol
Old 29-06-2009, 05:24 PM
rich2302
Part of the Furniture

well this has been quite an interesting read.

I guess it all boils down to what you are looking to achieve out of all of this, if you just want a nice bike and want to spend more time looking at it, cleaning it, and showing it off around town, then get the latest sports bike.

If, however, you actually want to learn how to be a good, safe, fast rider then, depending on how tall you are, you should probably think about getting a 400 sports bike instead of a 600.

If you do have hip problems, and I know nothing of that, only what I have read on here, then you might want to consider how it will be getting your leg over the bike, as these 600's and thou's tend to have quite high tail units.

And as someone else has mentioned, you are more likely to drop the thing whilst trying to move it around, then when you are actually on it.

I started with an Aprilia RS125, then went onto a GSXR400 and then onto a tuned GSXR750. They where good steps to take, but I would skip the 125. The 400's have 60bhp, which doesnt sound like a lot, but is the same as a bandit 6, and still good for a mid 3 second 0 - 60 time, and a top speed of 130mph. They dont have wallops of power, so you can be a bit ham fisted to begin with, without paying the price.

400's will teach you about corner speeds and using the gears properly, you can learn to get your knee down, do wheelies and stoppies and all that malarky, without fear of hurting yourself to much.

Once you have mastered that, then step up to a 600, you will be a much better rider for the experience.

and if you are having problems with riding positions, then you can get aftermarket clip ons and rear sets, and find a riding position that suits you best.

The insurance would be much easier on a 400 too, your choices are

Honda vfr400 (nc30)
Honda cbr400 (nc29)
Kawazaki zxr400
Suzuki GSXR400 (gk76a)
Yamaha FZR400

All can be picked up for no more than Ł1500

and if you want something a little more trick, then honda sell an rvf400, which is funky looking, and if you look up tyga bodywork, there are all sorts of trick bodykits you can get for the bikes to make them look pin sharp.

good luck with your search

Rich
Old 29-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I'm not after a bike at this very moment as I can't afford one. Circumstances change any time soon and then I'll be on the hunt. There are no decent bike shops in Liverpool, not one! Anyway, a friend of my Dads has a Honda Pan European ST1300, and I've been out with him today to see if I agreed with him and others I'd be better on a tourer! His bike is fantastic, and I do like it. But It's not what I'm after.

He needs some bits for his bike in Chester, where there is a fantastic bike shop, so I'm going with him.

Benni.
Old 29-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Excellent reply, Rich. Thanks! Will look at 400's.
Old 29-06-2009, 06:22 PM
chris^si
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Red16
What a load of tosh!
Would you like all the reasons why im right first on a personal level? starting with the position of the rider or just going with the basic set-up of the bike and its intentions from the designers or all the reviews ever written?
Old 30-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris^si
Would you like all the reasons why im right first on a personal level? starting with the position of the rider or just going with the basic set-up of the bike and its intentions from the designers or all the reviews ever written?
Aye why not

I thought my R6 was shite to ride compared to my Duke 748, imo the old GSXR 600 SRAD rode better! One thing for sure the R6 is designed for midgets