General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Intercooler Test (Pics added Page 10)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
*cough cough*
Spec r sells them.

Mark
Old 10-11-2010, 07:21 PM
MAD Ade
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
*cough cough*
Hardy Har

The Spec-R web site is still being up-dated, will be showing all the new intercooler prices very soon

Cheers,

Ade.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:23 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Cheers guys.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:27 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Brammer,

If i get a spec r one on mine and replace my pro alloy one, are you interested to see if i can get past 500 bhp just by changing the cooler, or you going to say but but but to me as well?
Originally Posted by BRAMMER
But it won't though will it
And you know that how exactly? I'm dying to know?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

Right i will post a few more facts of the day as iv just spoke to luke..
The inlet temp stayed at 11 degrees all day and the probe was put in the foam part of the air filter..
The ambient temp was 15 most of the day but dropped to 14 by the end..
As said the car did 466 hp on the radtec cooler and was run 3 times with a rest inbetween breaks and all temps noted..
Then the spec r was fitted and it made 480 hp and was run 3 times with the same intervals,the recovery time was much quicker with the spec r and it went through the rev range witout a flutter,it also made 1.5psi more boost after 5.5k and the graph for boost and power were very smooth..
Then the airtech was fitted and the same 3 runs done in the exact same way,it recorded 479 hp but did have some fluttering of the turbo(surge).
Although there was only 1 hp difference the boost and power graph wasnt as smooth and this can only be down to the way the cooler flows the air...

The tests done on a normal day with normal temps would have seen the power lower overall and probably circa 450 hp as steves car had done back in the warmer months and im sure if that was the case the spec r would have proved itself even more than today also there would be no way of getting rid of surge on the airtech with mapping etc where as with the spec r theres obviously more scope with mapping..

At the end of the day an intercooler is on your car to control act and if you can buy one that will totally control act to the point of reducing surge and cylinder temprature
then not only will you have a smoother more powerfull car but it will also have a longer turbo life and of course engine life....
So on that note,YES ITS WORTH THE EXTRA PENNIES!!

cheers danny
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MAD Ade
Just think what yours would be like with state of the art gear in stead of state of the ark
About Ł10,000 cheaper

I'm not slating the product as i think it's a fantastic piece of gear, but with the research and testing that has gone into this range you wouldn't expect anything less.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Over 500bhp YB's have been around for over 20 years now so it's not a new thing and they would have been running on the std RS500/pro alloy/Pace items.
You are taking these static figures try a Topspeed run or time on the throttle on a hot day. If only we had this cooler back then . Think of all those guys that went to Brunters ( or mine at Totb ) that had 500bhp at start of run but simply lost it on the run because of high CA . Myself i had 2off 1mm jets of water being squirted in to give mine a chance of making it to the bottom . Lost Power but not as much as the ECU retarding ignition because of high CA those were the compromises of using the Coolers available back then.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

And you know that how exactly? I'm dying to know?
Do you

Originally Posted by MadRod
You are taking these static figures try a Topspeed run or time on the throttle on a hot day. If only we had this cooler back then . Think of all those guys that went to Brunters ( or mine at Totb ) that had 500bhp at start of run but simply lost it on the run because of high CA . Myself i had 2off 1mm jets of water being squirted in to give mine a chance of making it to the bottom . Lost Power but not as much as the ECU retarding ignition because of high CA those were the compromises of using the Coolers available back then.
I can't find a smiley for someone falling asleep so ...........

How easy are you all to get going, it's like the MAD mob is attacking me
Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 PM
MAD Ade

About Ł10,000 cheaper

Cheers,

Ade.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:53 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Brammer,

I said IF it made 500 bhp by changing my cooler are you going to but but but and what if at me? I never said it WOULD do it. That the difference between mine and your statments
Old 10-11-2010, 07:58 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Im not any part of the mad mob mate as you know!!!lol
I certainly didnt want to buy another intercooler either but after seeing this one perform its my only option imo!!
I want the best for my engine and if bolting something on my car( witch is half the size)will allow me to add more ignition safely thus making more power without any higher acts then thats what i will do with this cooler...its a genius!!

cheers danny
Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you

I can't find a smiley for someone falling asleep so ...........

Just to ask a question, why wasn't the boost kept the same through each test ?

I thought the act's were being tested under the same conditions ?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:04 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by J1mbo

Just to ask a question, why wasn't the boost kept the same through each test ?

I thought the act's were being tested under the same conditions ?
Nothing on the car was changed jimbo,it naturally made more boost because it was more efficient as did the airtech cooler its just the spec r one did it smoother..

cheers danny
Old 10-11-2010, 08:06 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Brammer,

I said IF it made 500 bhp by changing my cooler are you going to but but but and what if at me? I never said it WOULD do it. That the difference between mine and your statments
But Steve's made 1bhp more with it so why should yours make enough to send it over 500bhp unless you can adjust the map enough to do that.

Originally Posted by Danny @ Enhanced Performance
Im not any part of the mad mob
It's got a ring to it, The MAD mob
Old 10-11-2010, 08:07 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if this has been asked before but why is this cooler better?

Is it the cooling fins?

The Alloy?

The route of air?

Size?

Will smaller power cars perform better?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

I certainly didnt want to buy another intercooler either but after seeing this one perform its my only option imo!!
I want the best for my engine and if bolting something on my car( witch is half the size)will allow me to add more ignition safely thus making more power without any higher acts then thats what i will do with this cooler...its a genius!!

cheers danny
What temps do you see on track with your car Danny?

Last edited by Martin-Hadland; 10-11-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:15 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

First off a massive thanks must go to Pete and Darren of Spec-R for bringing there intercooler and helping to remove and fit all the coolers and rad

They also saved the day with a spacer to move the rad forward otherwise both the Spec-R and Airtec intercooler would not have fitted.

We started the day testing my original 50mm intercooler.

We had more power from the start today due to the Air Temp being 11 degress cooler than the last time my car was on EPs RR, this gave a bit more boost midrange.

Run 1 Start inlet temp of 26 and finish 42 Power 466.6bhp
Run 2 Start inlet temp of 27 and finish 43 Power 466.8bhp
Run 3 Start inlet temp of 29 and finish 42 Power 468.3bhp

Air temp was 11 on these runs with a intake temp of 15

Next we fitted the Spec-R intercooler.

Air temp was 15 on these runs with a intake temp of 19

Due to the 4i bumper being different to a 3dr we could not refit the bumper correctly, also due to the intercooler being thicker my oil cooler would not fit in the position i had it in so had to be cable tied to the car.

Run 1 Start inlet temp of 22 finish 36 Power 473bhp
Run 2 Start inlet temp of 25 finish 36 Power 476bhp
Run 3 Start inlet temp of 26 finish 37 Power 474bhp

We then done 3 runs with the bumper removed as due to it not fitting correctly with the Spec-R intercooler it was covering most of it up.

Run 1 Start inlet temp of 24 finish 27 Power 478bhp
Run 2 Start inlet temp of 21 finish 27 Power 480.8bhp
Run 3 Start inlet temp of 20 finish 26 Power 479.1bhp

It was noted that during the power run NO INCREASE of temp was noted, only when the throttle was shut did the temps rise.

We then fitted my Modified Airtec Intercooler.
I had different size pipes fitted due to the standard ones only having a inside diameter of 53mm, i had these changed to the same size as my original intercooler of 61mm inside diameter.

The bumper was refitted for these runs.

Run 1 Start inlet temp of 22 finish 27 Power 478.2bhp
Run 2 Start inlet temp of 22 finish 28 Power 479.4bhp
Run 3 Start inlet temp of 23 finish 27 Power 478.8bhp

Air temp was 12 and intake temp of 17.

With the Airtec intercooler fitted when the throttle was shut you could hear the air causing some turbo surge but the Spec-R intercooler did not do this.

It was a shame that we could not road test the car with the Spec-R intercooler fitted as im sure the inlet temps would have been even better on the road.

Also on my journey home the Airtec did not perform any better than my original intercooler with the inlet temp around 15 for both coolers. Also both seem to take a long time for the temps to drop if you have a bit of heat soak.

Will add more if i think of anything

Better thank Luke and Danny LOL

Steve

Last edited by cossie4i+; 10-11-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Martin-Reyland
What temps do you see on your car Danny?
The only data i have is from ford fair and combe earlier this year and it was mostly between 37 and 42 when being driven but as soon as the throttle is shut for any length of time it shoots up and takes a while to recover..

Pete looked at my cooler today and said the core is fine but the inlet and outlet is terrible,he then went on to tell luke how it would perform iho and he was right in every way..
Im getting pete to build me one and then we will back to back test it with my pro alloy to prove the results..

Pete is going to build it for my car specificly and make the inlet side with a larger jacket than the turbo side witch will control airspeed and have a faster flow so im looking forward to seeing it work..

cheers danny
Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

No attack im too old/short to do that .
This is a Technical Post quoting lots of facts, you would do well to listen to what people who have knowledge on the subject are saying.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by cossie4i
First off a massive thanks must go to Pete and Darren of Spec-R for bringing there intercooler and helping to remove and fit all the coolers and rad

They also saved the day with a spacer to move the rad forward otherwise both the Spec-R and Airtec intercooer would not have fitted.

We started the day testing my original 50mm intercooler.

We had more power from the start today due to the Air Temp being 11 degress cooler than the last time my car was on EPs RR, this gave a bit more boost midrange.

Run 1 Start inlet temp of 26 and finish 42 Power 466.6bhp
Run 2 Start inlet temp of 27 and finish 43 Power 466.8bhp
Run 3 Start inlet temp of 29 and finish 42 Power 468.3bhp

Air temp was 11 on these runs with a intake temp of 15

Next we fitted the Spec-R intercooler.

Air temp was 15 on these runs with a intake temp of 19

Due to the 4i bumper being different to a 3dr we could not refit the bumper correctly, also due to the intercooler being thicker my oil cooler would not fit in the position i had it in so had to be cable tied to the car.

Run 1 Start inlet temp of 22 finish 36 Power 473bhp
Run 2 Start inlet temp of 25 finish 36 Power 476bhp
Run 3 Start inlet temp of 26 finish 37 Power 474bhp

We then done 3 runs with the bumper removed as due to it not fitting correctly with the Spec-R intercooler it was covering most of it up.

Run 1 Start inlet temp of 24 finish 27 Power 478bhp
Run 2 Start inlet temp of 21 finish 27 Power 480.8bhp
Run 3 Start inlet temp of 20 finish 26 Power 479.1bhp

It was noted that during the power run NO INCREASE of temp was noted, only when the throttle was shut did the temps rise.

We then fitted my Modified Airtec Intercooler.
I had different size pipes fitted due to the standard ones only having a inside diameter of 53mm, i had these changed to the same size as my original intercooler of 61mm inside diameter.

The bumper was refitted for these runs.

Run 1 Start inlet temp of 22 finish 27 Power 478.2bhp
Run 2 Start inlet temp of 22 finish 28 Power 479.4bhp
Run 3 Start inlet temp of 23 finish 27 Power 478.8bhp

Air temp was 12 and intake temp of 17.

With the Airtec intercooler fitted when the throttle was shut you could hear the air causing some turbo surge but the Spec-R intercooler did not do this.

It was a shame that we could not road test the car with the Spec-R intercooler fitted as im sure the inlet temps would have been even better on the road.

Also on my journey home the Airtec did not perform any better than my original intercooler with the inlet temp around 15 for both coolers. Also both seem to take a long time for the temps to drop if you have a bit of heat soak.

Will add more if i think of anything

Better thank Luke and Danny LOL

Steve
Thanks for giving all the exact details steve as luke didnt tell me them all...
Im sure the airtech will prove better than the old radtech mate when the air temp rises and wont suffer like the radtec used too..
When you going to buy the spec r one then!!!lol

cheers danny
Old 10-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

The only data i have is from ford fair and combe earlier this year and it was mostly between 37 and 42 when being driven but as soon as the throttle is shut for any length of time it shoots up and takes a while to recover..

Pete looked at my cooler today and said the core is fine but the inlet and outlet is terrible,he then went on to tell luke how it would perform iho and he was right in every way..
Im getting pete to build me one and then we will back to back test it with my pro alloy to prove the results..

Pete is going to build it for my car specificly and make the inlet side with a larger jacket than the turbo side witch will control airspeed and have a faster flow so im looking forward to seeing it work..

cheers danny
Cool just wondering When I built my car I fitted a W/I pump and reservoir etc and so I could tell when it had activated I also fitted a green lamp on the dash that illuminates when the W/I is working, this is set to activate at 40 deg. The only time that I've ever seen that lamp illuminate is once (for about a couple of seconds) when I gave the car some stick when leaving the pits at Combe after the car had been idling for ages, waiting to go out on track. So I'm sticking with my Pro Alloy Btw my W/I tank has never had water in it
Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Nothing on the car was changed jimbo,it naturally made more boost because it was more efficient as did the airtech cooler its just the spec r one did it smoother..

cheers danny
Hi mate, I know that bit just thought it would be 100% fair test if boost was identical i guess its just the extra time to correct boost to suit so leave it as is
Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Mark 3D

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

cheers danny

LOL I suddenly have memories flooding back in regards to a little "discussion" me and you had recently at the WSRSOC meet!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I forgot to thak B13 JUS for allowing us to use his Spec-R intercooler

Thanks mate, it looks a bit 2nd hand now lol

Steve
Old 10-11-2010, 08:32 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Cool just wondering When I built my car I fitted a W/I pump and reservoir etc and so I could tell when it had activated I also fitted a green lamp on the dash that illuminates when the W/I is working, this is set to activate at 40 deg. The only time that I've ever seen that lamp illuminate is once (for about a couple of seconds) when I gave the car some stick when leaving the pits at Combe after the car had been idling for ages, waiting to go out on track. So I'm sticking with my Pro Alloy Btw my W/I tank has never had water in it
Martin this is the exact same story with the old boys car, wi tank has never had water in and hasn't used it
Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MadRod
This is a Technical Post quoting lots of facts, you would do well to listen to what people who have knowledge on the subject are saying.
Rod get to fuck, this is an internet forum if you want to give lessons on motorsport and all the other bollocks you chant keep it in the MAD tea room.

Read post 126
Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Martin this is the exact same story with the old boys car, wi tank has never had water in and hasn't used it
Hahaha, ask him if he wants to buy a spare W/I set up
Old 10-11-2010, 08:35 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Thats cool mate and if youve never had a problem then why change???
What sort of temps does your car average on a track day???if only knowing it doesnt go above 40 is all you know then id have a look because with this cooler you may drop temps by say 10 degrees and that would also allow you to add some spark to your map and that means more power???
If your always in the 20s then i dont suppose youd benefit from it being any better but if your not then you would...

cheers danny
Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Hahaha, ask him if he wants to buy a spare W/I set up
Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Like iv just said just because it hasnt gone above 40 degrees does not make it ideal does it??

cheers danny
Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

What sort of temps does your car average on a track day???if only knowing it doesnt go above 40 is all you know then id have a look because with this cooler you may drop temps by say 10 degrees and that would also allow you to add some spark to your map and that means more power???
If your always in the 20s then i dont suppose youd benefit from it being any better but if your not then you would...

cheers danny
It sounds like I know as much as you As you said that yours was between 38/42 didn't you? Anyhow I do know that at 200mph (the real test!!) my temps were below 40 deg so that's good enough for me.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

cheers danny
The thing is, if you lost 5 degrees act and managed to put a couple of degree in the map what are you going to gain ? Ten bhp ?

What use is ten bhp at 700 btw lol, on a fun track day which is non competitive

People get too strung up on getting the absolute late bhp out of the car it's too ott for me !

Were not race teams fighting for championchips lol
Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Like iv just said just because it hasnt gone above 40 degrees does not make it ideal does it??

cheers danny
Check last reply

As long as its 110% safe and performing as it should then at 700 bhp ten/twenty bhp don't make much difference
Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 10-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Roosie
500bhp Cosworth in making

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

race teams dont look at BHP its about the torque
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 PM
cossiedave

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

the spec-r one would,nt even see 40deg
Old 10-11-2010, 08:48 PM
BANNED
BANNED

The thing is, if you lost 5 degrees act and managed to put a couple of degree in the map what are you going to gain ? Ten bhp ?

What use is ten bhp at 700 btw lol, on a fun track day which is non competitive

People get too strung up on getting the absolute late bhp out of the car it's too ott for me !

Why did your dad build a more powerfull engine for then???because he could thats why!!!

This cooler is better for more reasons than just getting 10 hp jimbo so really mate as usual your missing the point!!!lol

In petes words on mad ades car they see alot more than 10 hp!!!and still with better temps also its more down to air flow and air speed...

What youve just said is like saying why put that much better inlet plenum on my car??although its far more efficient in flow etc it only makes 10 hp more so il just stick with my std one!!!!LOL

cheers danny
Old 10-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by Roosie
race teams dont look at BHP its about the torque
What discipline are we talking here?
Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Originally Posted by cossiedave
the spec-r one would,nt even see 40deg
We know that mine doesn't!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:51 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by James90RS
I know where my money has been spent, and still very glad I've done it

Compare the ACTs and power on a hot day as said, then I'm sure there would be a good enough difference to justify the cost

If your ACTs are higher and the ignition gets retarded, costing you say 30hp, then all the time you drive it in the summer, you're loosing out on 30hp
Which these days on alot of Cossies, is the only time get used!

Thats alot of power to be missing out on when you dont use your car much anyway and its the thrill you want.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Test (Pics added Page 10)