General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

What are your opinions about this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 02:15 AM
89xr2
Brap!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your opinions about this?

Just found this on another forum and thought i'd put it up here to see what you all thought about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/4650966.stm

In case no one can be bothered to read the guy got 5 years in prison and was banned for driving for 15 years after a guy he was racing crashed and killed himself.

What's everyones opinions on the sentence?

Sorry if this is a repost.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:44 AM
Chris_KA

Well deserved - totally irresposible. He won't be racing again any time soon, that's for certain.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:14 AM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

I dont condone racing so i guess its a just sentence, if a little harsh. If they werent racing the guy would not have crashed, but he didnt have to race.....
Old 03-02-2006, 03:41 AM
starturbo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by SteveH
I dont condone racing so i guess its a just sentence, if a little harsh. If they werent racing the guy would not have crashed, but he didnt have to race.....
How stupid is he though.Its one thing racing someone but having 2 kids in the car is as irresponsible as you can get.He deserves every day he is banged up.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:00 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

I have just read back through the archives on the BBC site about sentences for 'death by dangerous driving', not necessarily ones caused by racing.

I am absolutely appalled at the lenient sentences given.... so far the highest sentence I have seen is six and a half years and the lowest 30 months. WTF - you kill someone, sometimes in horrific circumstances and are found guilty and you get a poxy little stretch inside and let out early for good behaviour.... This country sucks with it's legal system
Old 03-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Snowy_Astra
Advanced PassionFord User

I've had loads of people trying to keep up with me and crash their cars. Does that mean i'm a murderer?

I never push people, if they wanna boot off, let them, i give chase sometimes, but i can tell instantly if their driving leaves a lot to the imagination. and if they are a danger to their stupid selves i back off.

I think its bollocks, It takes two to tango, whoever crashes or gets hurt should learn how to bloody drive before they think they are Stirling Moss.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:34 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

as Spence says, how is it this guys fault the other one died?!?! just because he was driving fast, doesn't mean he forced him off the road or something.

we all race other cars, funny how so many deny it now tho :-/

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2006, 08:50 AM
andy_st200
PassionFord Post Troll

i agree snowy and ballin, the other guy didnt need to race, no one mad him do it.. like someone sticking their head in the over because i told em to do it
Old 03-02-2006, 08:55 AM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

so,2 people on dance floor trying to outbreakdance each other,one slips and breaks his neck,is the other person liable,its utter bollocks!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:21 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
so,2 people on dance floor trying to outbreakdance each other,one slips and breaks his neck,is the other person liable,its utter bollocks!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Thats proper harsh and stupid. He didnt force the bloke to race or actaully cause him to crash so why should he be held accountable.

fucking stupid imho
Old 03-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Snowy_Astra

4 vs 4 ATM

True though what Rich said, Amazing how one minute its all 'Yeah i blasted this evo in my cossy' then next minute its 'Racing is bad!'

Not naming names, not pointing the finger, just saying

Big wig's example fits perfectly, & there's plenty more. If i copied something i saw on TV and died, would the person doing stupid things i copied be arrested? (think jackass)

Its just another pop at drivers IMO

p.s I still don't condone the racing with kids in the back, that's just stupid. there's always a right place and right time for giving it some stick, its just a shame a lot of idiots don't know where those places are and what the right time is.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Snowy_Astra

Just noticed this aswell

Police discovered from his car computer that the vehicle had been travelling up to 138 mph.
Now would this be a 'car computer' that we don't know about? or a Trip counter/g-force meter?

Soon as i've done my business, the trip computer gets reset.

oh and this

His reckless driving caused the death of a kind and gentle man who had an impeccable driving record
Impeccable? Would that be Impeccable in the sense that he was never caught? Seems strange that on that day out of all the 'impeccable' days he suddenly decided to race for the first time in his life

Who writes this shit? i mean seriously
Old 03-02-2006, 10:02 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

There was a recent case like this in Stoke. A lad called Jacko was sent down when a Fiesta racing on the A500 crashed and people were killed. That was a very debatable case.

It's a tough one to judge. I think if you actually organise a race and someone gets killed then you have to take some responsibility. But then if someone choses to race you and kills themselves that's a bit tricky. Then there is provoking someone into racing.

I think racing with kids on your car is a terrible offence.

The thing is you just never know what situations are really like. I think Steve on here has a story where he was acused of causing a crash he'd stopped by simply because a few old ladies assumed he was racing in his Renault 5 turbo.

A couple of years ago I was with a friend driving out of town and a lad in a Saxo raced off from us and crashed into a car.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Snowy_Astra
4 vs 4 ATM

p.s I still don't condone the racing with kids in the back, that's just stupid. there's always a right place and right time for giving it some stick, its just a shame a lot of idiots don't know where those places are and what the right time is.
Didnt read that bit that just fooking stupid with kids in the car
Old 03-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Redkop

I think the law sees it as, that you were a 'willing accomplice' a bit like aiding and abetting, which is understandable.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:12 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Stupid and irresponsible yes, but that doesn't deserve a sentence like that. He never held a gun to the other guy's head and sad you will race me.

The bloke made his bed the moment he chose to race IMO. The other guy can't be held accountable for someone else's actions.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:26 AM
cossymad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No one forces anyone to race, even if it's 'organised', the organisers should not face critisism. We all know the risks.
The only time you should be allowed to race on a public road is if;
It's 11pm or later
It's on an industrial estate.
People are watching.
No ones life is in immediate danger.
The guy in the other cars says- 'Hey pussy boy, wanna race??'
Old 03-02-2006, 10:27 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Redkop
I think the law sees it as, that you were a 'willing accomplice' a bit like aiding and abetting, which is understandable.
I think that's correct really.

The key point is that racing is ilegal and regardless of your reasoning every driver should know it's against the law.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:37 AM
D19 STE
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by cossymad
No one forces anyone to race, even if it's 'organised', the organisers should not face critisism. We all know the risks.
It's 11pm or later
People are watching.

Agree with later times ect as above if anyone is going to do it, and not at midday through town centre with loads of peeps about
Old 03-02-2006, 12:59 PM
starturbo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

As I said earlier he should have got double for having 2 young kids in the car.Those kids must have been bloody petrified and he could have killed them.I cant imagine what they were thinking.That is totally irresponsible.I like the occasional blast but only when I drive alone.If I got anyone with me then forget it.If I wanna kill myself then fine but no one else deserves to be taken out by me.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's 11pm or later
People are watching.
how long b4 the bans up Chris

ps racing with ya kids in the car is bad
Old 03-02-2006, 01:09 PM
RSBen
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by MWF
There was a recent case like this in Stoke. A lad called Jacko was sent down when a Fiesta racing on the A500 crashed and people were killed. That was a very debatable case.

Yes but wasnt that lad driving the car that the people were killed in?
Old 03-02-2006, 01:12 PM
DUDE_SWEET_FRST

the bloke he raced was 69
Old 03-02-2006, 01:20 PM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by RSBen
Originally Posted by MWF

Not in the case I am talking about. In this one the lad 'Jacko' (Steven Jackson) was driving a 200sx and reported an accident where a red Fiesta had come off the road at speed. The police has suspicions that Jackson had been racing the Fiesta and unearthed CCTV footage of his car leaving Festival Park before reporting the accident. They calculated his average speed from the time on the CCTV footage and his phone call and concluded he'd been speeding. They then added this to eye witnesses reports claiming they saw him racing the Fiesta.

Due to the evidence against him he was advised (wrongly imo) to plead guilty to the charged and thus was imprisoned.

Despite his guilty plea to speeding he continues to protest he played no part in Fiestas crash.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:43 PM
cossymad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Kev.H
It's 11pm or later
People are watching.

4 months
Old 03-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Kev.H
It's 11pm or later
People are watching.

4 months
bet you cant wait no more racing for you...............

unless of course ' pussy boy, you wanna race??'
Old 03-02-2006, 04:43 PM
RSBen
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by MWF
Originally Posted by RSBen
Originally Posted by MWF

Not in the case I am talking about. In this one the lad 'Jacko' (Steven Jackson) was driving a 200sx and reported an accident where a red Fiesta had come off the road at speed. The police has suspicions that Jackson had been racing the Fiesta and unearthed CCTV footage of his car leaving Festival Park before reporting the accident. They calculated his average speed from the time on the CCTV footage and his phone call and concluded he'd been speeding. They then added this to eye witnesses reports claiming they saw him racing the Fiesta.

Due to the evidence against him he was advised (wrongly imo) to plead guilty to the charged and thus was imprisoned.

Despite his guilty plea to speeding he continues to protest he played no part in Fiestas crash.
Oh right. Thats well harsh IMO. Personally unless he made contact with the Fiesta I dont see how he could be to blame.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think anybody will condone racing with kids in the car as that was daft. But I do feel this is totally OTT.

Nobody forces somebody to race. If you do race you go into knowing full well what the consequences are. The other guy overstepped the mark and crashed this is nobodies fault but his own. As per usual it's the bleeding hearts, blame somebody else society causing problems.

The guy certainly deserves the ban that's not in dispute but being jailed for 5 years because of another persons inability to control his car. And the bit about the dead man having an impeccable driving record is rediculous as if it was that impeccable he wouldn't have been racing in the first place.

Just my feelings and my flame suit is on
Old 03-02-2006, 06:08 PM
NUTTIN RILLA
PassionFord Post Troll

5 Years is a long time for having a blast, as said above he`s a complete arse hole for driving like that with kids in the car, as said again it takes two to tango, in no way would i say it was HIS fault the other guy died, You learn by your mistakes, or in this case we learn by others
Old 03-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

can NOT be arsed to read all this but, it clearly states that the guy was BEHIND the old fukka in the MG

now, im sure if the old guy didnt put his foot down he would still be here today, but how the fuck can the other guy be held responsable for that?

he was BEHIND the MG, was he bumper to bumper pushing the car?

no

the old guy died cos he ran out of talent.

IMO not the guy behinds fault!

yes hes a c*nt for doing it with the kids in the car, but not a murderer!
Old 04-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Redkop

View from Scoobynet about a cossie driver. http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=489478

What the feck are they on, specifically this one reply - http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showpost....5&postcount=12
Old 04-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont think he would have got anywhere near 5 years and 15 year ban if he didnt have the kids in the car and also asked them to lie.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:51 AM
MATCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

JESUS, it's Knob heads who say things like
" It seems that after 15 years these cars are still at the centre of accidents like this."
who help fan the flames -what a cock -Some scooby owners are just such twats, this could have involved any car,even God forbid, one of those impeccably driven Subaru's-I would be embarrased by someone saying such a load of bollocks on here
Old 04-02-2006, 12:04 PM
AndyBrew

I can guarantee if it had been the other way around the old guy of 69 would not be in the same position, not condoning the actions in anyway but as I've said many times before we have ALL fucking done it at some point and its only the law of averages that means we are here and he is there!

don't mean the kids thing in particular, although I know I've given it some beans on occasions with my boy in the car because he likes it LOL!! Now I didn't consider what I was doing was anyway dangerous however if you analyse it a bit of diesel on the road, somebody pulling out of a junction without looking, different story I suspect???
Old 04-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Phil
Jeebus

I can see it from both sides really, he didn't force him to race or to crash etc so you have to ask if it was his fault.

BUT, it takes two (or more) to race, and if the guy in the Subaru didn't race him then he wouldn't have crashed and died. If you take the race out of the equation then the other guy would still be alive and so there must be some blame.

Also, in a lot of crashes when racing (that I have seen anyway) the crash is caused by actions from both drivers. (E.g. one changes lanes to overtake another car and so the other has to brake and looses control etc)

It is a tricky situation that I would hate to be in, knowing that I have perhaps been guilty of racing on public roads in the past
Old 04-02-2006, 01:33 PM
swerv
PassionFord Post Troll

havnt read all the posts, but has anyone mentioned that when the car carshed the guy just drove off into the distance??

this a prison sentance on its own if death is the outcome!!

and why do people say you shouldnt race with kids in YOUR car , have you ever thought that the car you hit/run off the road may kids in it??

well deserved sentance if thats the whole story.