General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

claiming after an accident

Search this Thread

Old 31-01-2006, 04:04 PM
andre_k
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default claiming after an accident

how should i go about it? dislocated my shoulder at work. what would i be looking at?

i work for my dad, and he said to try it, as his increase in insurance premium will be minimal.

i tripped over a railing and landed on my arm. its a very labourous job (heavy lifting etc) so i may be off work for 6 weeks

anyone with experience?
Old 31-01-2006, 04:17 PM
paul16v
Monte 087

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive currently got quite a big claim going on at the minute after a quite serious industrial accident i had in july 2004, it was a HSE inspectior who gave me details of how to go about it, but basically all you have to do is find a decent solicitor most places will give you an hours consultation for free so you can put your case to them and see weather its worth there while taking it on and they will give you an idea of how to go about things how the whole process works etc getting liability settled etc, i had to take 20% liability for my accident even tho my gaffer told my mother i was 100% to blame and it was nothing to do with him like you say it wont put much on your dads premium, but if you do go ahead with a claim your company may well be inspected by health and safety.
Old 31-01-2006, 04:21 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just out of interest,did you just trip over a railing thats always there? without sounding heartless,it sounds like YOU fucked up,and i am of the opinion that accidents DO happen and are NOT always a fault of anyone in particular. if it was something beyond your control etc,really a claimworthy event then fine. sorry, i really feel strongly about the whole blame culture arising nowadays,things happen,life goes on!
Old 31-01-2006, 04:36 PM
andre_k
PassionFord Post Troll

nope, it was left there by the other employee.. he admits full liability, so

on a website, it says 6-9k for a dislocated shoulder...

i wouldnt normally do it, esp to my dad, but he told me to, and said his insurance will pay...
Old 31-01-2006, 04:38 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thats fair enough,sorry if i sounded harsh,but there you go,hope you get it sorted
Old 31-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Originally Posted by andrek12345
nope, it was left there by the other employee.. he admits full liability, so

on a website, it says 6-9k for a dislocated shoulder...

i wouldnt normally do it, esp to my dad, but he told me to, and said his insurance will pay...
I think you'd be exceptionally lucky to get 6-9k just for a dislocated shoulder. Claims are based on the long term prognosis, diagnosed by a Consultant and he would decide whether the injured limb will ever be 100% right again. This usually takes years before they can reach this decision. I waited just over 4 years for a pay out for a broken ankle and many visits to a Consultant for regular check-ups to see how it was progressing.

You would probably be offered a lot less for a straight foward dislocation with no complications.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:54 PM
IrishS1
Regular Contributor

This is making me