General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Question regarding Web Design......

Search this Thread

Old 30-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question regarding Web Design......

Once you have built a Web Page, what is it that makes it appear on search engines, such as Google??

I know that when you carry out a Google search, you expect an amount of results that is condusive with how popular what you are searching for is, but how do you appear in the search results at all?

I have just added a news item on our Homepage which I would like to be 'Searchable' on Google and cannot find it for trying, I tried with an older item (over 18 months old) and cannot find that either!!
Old 30-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.google.co.uk/services/

show em ya money
Old 30-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Submit the site to them, make sure it is well worded, search on it reguarly (from different IPs) and click it in the results to make it look popular.

I used to work for a company where they did all that sort of shit (not me personally i just wrote back end programs for them) and it works remarkabley well if you can be bothered with it, the company i used to work for would guarentee a top 10 place on certain words on google and thats without ever giving google a penny.

As davey says though, works better if you pay them!
Old 30-01-2006, 02:33 PM
timb551
Advanced PassionFord User

Search Engine Optimisation (Things to look for)

ALT Tags on images and buttons
When hovering over images you should get a little pop up, see www.bbc.co.uk for examples.

Links Page (In and out)
Does the website have a links page linking to other sites? Do other sites link to their website?

Correct Content
Male sure that there is plenty on content on the site, mentioning their products and company name a fair amount.

Proper CSS

Header Tags

Sub pages in sub folders
When going to sub areas on the site make sure that the pages are in subfolders.

Flash
If a site is full of clever rolling effects this is flash. Double check by right clicking on the effect and it will say built in Flash.
Search engines cannot search flash images.

Entrance pages
Any page before the main page of the website is bad!

Adworks
A product from Google. Allows users to purchase particular words at a particular click rate.

Frequency of updates
Do they have a news section or a new products section? The more the website is updated the better.

Google looks at all the above, at least a the moment, Google is constantly changing how it rates pages.

Good book to read http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...195929-3597521
Old 30-01-2006, 02:35 PM
timb551
Advanced PassionFord User

Copy and pasted from an internal document, so not written very well sorry.
Old 30-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Billabong
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You also have no keywords or meta tags - these are still of importance (some think they aren't), as long as they are relevant to the text within the page.

You can't really treat web design as anything other than a whole, the search engine placement needs to be considered when constructing and populating the page with content, not as an after thought (well you can, but you'll struggle to get decent placings - and ones that stand the test of time, it's an on-going process and fresh content )

http://spider-food.net/ It's a shame that the main site is down for redevelopment, but the forums may yeild some useful tips.

First step is sort out the meta-tags and revise content if required, then you should really submit your site to the search engines - best to do manually as opposed to some wonderous "Submit to 500,000 search engines in one go" web page or program.

Loads of info on the internet about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation), it's a whole business in itself really - literally (although needn't be!)