General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Absolutley Gutted

Search this Thread

Old 25-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Absolutley Gutted

Some of you know my dog Suzie (Wong). Today she has been to the vets and she has damaged one of her legs quite badly, she has snapped one of the ligaments in her stifle joint and has to have an operation. I am gutted She is hopping around on 3 legs

She is not allowed out for walks or even to go up the stairs, she is going to be a complete nighmare as she is quite high maintenance and has to go out at least once a day or she is full of it!!!! It will take 3 months recovery time after the operation She will be going insane not being able to go out for that long, i will feel cruel keeping her in

This also means that she will now get arthritis in her hind leg and also they have told me that her other leg will go the same way aswell. Apparently it is very common in big dogs, but i am gutted cos she is my little girl and i HATE her being poorly and in pain

You prob think i am stupid being upset over this but she means the world to me and i am truly gutted about it
Old 25-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Never nice having a sick pet it's strange how attached you get to them.
Old 25-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least she is on the mend.

And if it had to happen at least its at a time of year thats crap for walkies

Hope she gets better as soon as possible
Old 25-01-2006, 05:30 PM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Know exactly how you feel Nic,Our dog means the world to us as well,it`s like having another baby........

I would be gutted if anything happened to her and i feel for you..

Hope she`s back to normal as soon as poss with minimum discomfort..
Old 25-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

I know how you are feeling Nicole hun, its not long since Lucy passed away, and it rips you in two

Our other dog, Bruno, an alsation/labradoor cross has less than a year to live due to severe back problems - mainly arthuritis (or however you spell it) not going to be a good year i don't think for him

Old 25-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Rs Gus
impreza wrx sti version 8

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

poor sue give her a stroke from me
Old 25-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

She will pull through, just spoil her to bits.............our staffi was sick not long back, you really feel for them, back to his old self now eating everthing in site.............

Trending Topics

Old 25-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks guys, I will pass your wishes on to Suzie

She is feeling very sorry for herself at the moment She has just nearly fallen over whilst trying to get on the couch

I think the worst thing is knowing that she will always be lame on her leg and never be sound again, she is a very boystrous dog and loves going out..it's gonna be hard to get her to rest. She tries to attack the post man every day and is always jumping around and going on mad 5 minute razzes round the house!!!!

Poor baby girl, it's amazing how much our pets mean to us, I've had her for over 5 years, i love her to bits
Old 25-01-2006, 05:54 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

hope she is better soon Nicloe.
Old 25-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

It's totally understandable Nic - people love their pets like they would their own children, I know I did, and I still miss my little dog (she died nearly 5yrs ago now)

Best wishes for you and her pal, hope she gets well soon
Old 25-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Sticky.
20K+ Super Poster.

Poor WONG

Im sure she'll be ok hun soon as she see Dan on Saturday.
Old 25-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sorry to hear this Nicole.
Its awfully upsetting when a loved pet is unwell or in distress.
Would it be possible to have some kind of support frame with wheels made to give her some mobility? I have seen a dog locally that had both rear limbs amputated and they had a frame made.
Old 25-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Manchester Mike
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

hope she makes a speedy recovery
Old 25-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks guys, it means alot

I'm going back to the vets on Monday evening to discuss the operation, i have a few questions to ask them, so i will ask them Cam, also i thought they might strap it up, but they haven't.

The operation is just a temporary pin while the ligament fuses back together but they said the pin will snap again. So there is no quick fix for her
Old 25-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Lou Lou.
10K+ Poster!!

Oh no huni im gutted for you

Wish Suzie well from me with lots of huggles to help her make a speedy recovery
Old 25-01-2006, 06:35 PM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear this nicole, hope she gets better soon
Old 25-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Greg Shepherd
Chasing Radders

not nice nicole

heres to a speedy recovery
Old 25-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Nicole, is it the cruical ligiment? As My Cat William tore his when he was a year old as hes a livly cat! THey said they could op on it but not garuntee it would be a sucess and could make it worse or not even even help! And they said in the long term it doesnt help that much anyway.

So we decided to see how it went! After a month they start to get better in them selfs. And now nearly year on u cant tell tbh as hes just as mental. Though he sits a bit funny with one leg out, but you wouldnt notice unless u kow cats etc. And hes in no pain etc. But they said he will most prob get arthrities when hes older but they said even with the op he would Just got to make sure he doesnt get fat so he doesnt put extra weight on it etc.
Old 25-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Stu @ BSC
Part of the Furniture

Hi Nicole,
Hope Suzie gets better sooner than the vet said. Val and I know how upsetting it can be when our pets are sick. Give Suzie a from us both.
Old 25-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Taz
Visitor from the Darkside

Hi Nicole,

I know exactly how you feel but mine has an extra twist. My 10 yr old Bernese Mountain dog Taz has hurt her leg this morning too and she is hobbling about on it as well, however for the last few months now she can hardly get up due to arthritis and we have to help her up. I am very worried for her as she is old for a Bernese and I am preparing myself for the worst.

Anyway Susie will be fine as she is young and will bounce back as they all do. I have seen pictures and she looks lovely so give her a big hug from PF dudes and look after her.

Graham
Old 25-01-2006, 08:04 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Rhys
Nicole, is it the cruical ligiment? As My Cat William tore his when he was a year old as hes a livly cat! THey said they could op on it but not garuntee it would be a sucess and could make it worse or not even even help! And they said in the long term it doesnt help that much anyway.

So we decided to see how it went! After a month they start to get better in them selfs. And now nearly year on u cant tell tbh as hes just as mental. Though he sits a bit funny with one leg out, but you wouldnt notice unless u kow cats etc. And hes in no pain etc. But they said he will most prob get arthrities when hes older but they said even with the op he would Just got to make sure he doesnt get fat so he doesnt put extra weight on it etc.
Yes Rhys it's the cruical ligiment. She explained that in smaller pets the operation is not necessary due to the weight factor. But over a certain weight they have to have it done. Also she hasn't just torn it , the ligament has completley snapped. So i think the process is a little diffrent. When i first took her in this morning the vet thought she may have just torn it in which case she wouldnt need the op just lots of rest and hopefully it would heal, but the xrays showed it has completley snapped

It's the ligament that holds the stifle joint (knee) in place so her knee is all floppy!! Hopefully the pin will do the job and the new ligament will fuse back together

Thanks for your wishes guys, it means alot xx
Old 25-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Taz

Nicole,

Two of mny dogs have had cruciate ligaments done. What operation are they doing? There is a new one out called Tibial Plateau Levelling which works wonders. Is she insured?

Graham
Old 25-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Doh nightmare Nicole, cant remember what is 100% with William but i know he will never be 100%. But as u said be worse i suppose in bigger Animals

Hope she comes through it all ok Nicole, as i know its horrible seing the animal in pain as you cant explain to them whats wrong etc
Old 25-01-2006, 08:07 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Taz
Hi Nicole,

I know exactly how you feel but mine has an extra twist. My 10 yr old Bernese Mountain dog Taz has hurt her leg this morning too and she is hobbling about on it as well, however for the last few months now she can hardly get up due to arthritis and we have to help her up. I am very worried for her as she is old for a Bernese and I am preparing myself for the worst.

Anyway Susie will be fine as she is young and will bounce back as they all do. I have seen pictures and she looks lovely so give her a big hug from PF dudes and look after her.

Graham
Awww i'm sorry to hear that....pooooor Taz I hope she is ok hun, let me know how you get on with her

I sure hope she bounces back
Old 25-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Taz

Originally Posted by Nicole
Originally Posted by Taz
Hi Nicole,

Graham
Awww i'm sorry to hear that....pooooor Taz I hope she is ok hun, let me know how you get on with her

Thanks Nicole,

Seriously though the TPL op does away with the need for a cruciate ligament and they recover so much faster. Mine were back on their feet after a day or two(still limping) but recovered fast after that. Its not cheap mind hence the insurance question.

Graham
Old 25-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Not nice when your pets fall ill

I used to love my dog ALOT
Old 25-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Taz
Nicole,

Two of mny dogs have had cruciate ligaments done. What operation are they doing? There is a new one out called Tibial Plateau Levelling which works wonders. Is she insured?

Graham
Yeah she is insured I will ask her about that operation on Monday, have your dogs had that particular op done?

And Rhys, thanks for your support
Old 25-01-2006, 08:14 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Cruciate injuries are not nice

Sorry to hear this Nic, I think Suzzie is ace, if a little hard to handle - she pinned me to the couch last weekend cause I must not have been storking her enough

Give her a big from me! I feel sorry for you trying to get in and out of the door when she's been in for a day!

I imagine Stu's a bit upset too, he was talking about how he loved her to bits as he loaded 6 different types of dog food and treats into the cupboard after we went to Tescos

That dog gets better treatment than I do!

She was off when we took her out for a walk on the sea front. Really hope she has a speedy recovery.
Old 25-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Taz
Originally Posted by Nicole
Originally Posted by Taz
Hi Nicole,

Graham

Thanks Nicole,

Seriously though the TPL op does away with the need for a cruciate ligament and they recover so much faster. Mine were back on their feet after a day or two(still limping) but recovered fast after that. Its not cheap mind hence the insurance question.

Graham
That sounds promising Graham thanks for that, you have given me some hope . And to be honest, even if the insurance was a problem i would pay any amount of money to get her fixed she is my baby
Old 25-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Jay, that's why i am gutted she won't be able to go out, she will be soooo full of it, you know what she is like even when she has been out pmsl

Plus she will get depressed aswell, she will be sulking all the time

Yeah, she does get spoilt, she is treated like royalty It's the only way to treat an animal though
Old 25-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for all your kind words.

Originally Posted by Taz
There is a new one out called Tibial Plateau Levelling which works wonders.
This has given me a new hope, thank you Graham.
Old 25-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Taz

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Thanks for all your kind words.

Originally Posted by Taz
There is a new one out called Tibial Plateau Levelling which works wonders.
This has given me a new hope, thank you Graham.
My pleasure! Two of my dogs went through the operation and the results were amazing. In fact Taz was one who had it nearly six years ago now, and she only wanted one because her sister had it a year earlier...lol

There is a guy near me who does it called John Ferguson and he is superb. A bit like yourself Stu he is not cheap but the service you get is second to none and he explains everything in terms you can understand.

Good luck and PM me if you need any more info.

Graham
Old 25-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Yamaha
Part of the Furniture

For Suzie Wong...................

Old 25-01-2006, 10:05 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Animals have an amazing ability to adapt. Vet gave my cat after an operation to remove her womb, hours to live. She died sadly......................8 years later
Old 26-01-2006, 07:20 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Rotten news Nicole

She'll be ok though, as dogs have a remarkable way of adapting if they are left with a limp. As long as they are free from pain, that's the main thing.
Old 26-01-2006, 08:04 AM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

Noooo hunni, I didnt know poor Suzie wong awww my little babes for her

And for you and Stu

Chin your chin up guys What did she do???
Old 26-01-2006, 12:52 PM
GazzaG
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopeing shes ok asap Nicole

my dog passed away in 2004

It hit me so hard and i was deverstated i dident realise it tho i kept thinking he was gona come back
Old 26-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks for the kind words guys

Kim i think she did it on the beach. You remember me saying that she came back slighly limping a couple of weeks ago? i thought she may be starting with athritis. But the limp went away agin but she had an intermitten limp if she had done alot of excercise then rested, then when she got up again after a rest she was limping again, it was on and off for a few days but not bad. Then it suddenly got alot worse, so i think she may have torn the ligament first off, then snapped it later on

She actually seems much better and happier today, but she hasnt been out and has been completley rested. So i feel abit better about it today

Thanks guys xx