General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

The Death of Royal Mail

Search this Thread

Old 23-01-2006, 07:12 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Death of Royal Mail

As some of you may have read i've been harping on about it for a while now, but this morning, even my worst fears were supassed...

Our Area manager paid us a visit this morning to fill us in on an important meeting he'd been to last week, Won't bore you with all the details but basically bottom line, Royal mail are in the shit, many people think we are now private, wrong, we are still owned by the government, only they say we are private as they are simply share holders, worst case scenario Royal Mail needs £2billion from the main Shareholder (government) to stay afloat, if they dont give it, Royal Mail will be no longer within 6 months... Should they get it, they need to completly restructure the way the business is run, in the last few years they have been trying to employ younger people who want to make the job a career, that goes out of the window, 75 to 80% of all the delivery staff will have there contracts cut too approx 20hours (part time) so basically the only people who will want those hours will be semi retired people or mums, wanting a few hours after they have dropped the kids of at school... the remaining 20% (full time) will have such big workloads that many will simply walk, because in all honesty we will have our workload doubled for NO extra money... wages will be frozen for at least the 2 or 3 years, and to top it all off they need to make a £1billion profit per year, simply too cover the £400Million shortfall in our pension scheme...

So if you think the service your getting now is rubbish...

Me personaly i'm already dusting off the CV
Old 23-01-2006, 07:19 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Her old man works one of the money trucks going round all of the post offices etc.

He's had doubts for a while...

Hope it all works out for you mate.
Old 23-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Taz
Visitor from the Darkside

All I can say is if my local postie was to stop dropping elastic bands in my street alone they could be saved. I picked up 15 one day in less than 20 yds!!!!!!!!

Did they not get money from the government before to save them???

I would not want anyone to lose their job but something needs to be done whilst other companies are struggling.

G
Old 23-01-2006, 07:24 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

You want to get rid of that crozier guy first IMHO
Old 23-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

royal mail have been in the shite for years though,,,,,,,,,, hell not being funny but some of the staff bring it on them selves

royal mail is a "job for life" for most the people i know,,,,,, you all get payed TOO MUCH for the jobs you do,,,,,,, no offence but it aint hard sorting mail or posting it,,,,,,,,,,,, but i loose on average 3 letters a month from royal mail,,,,,, first class dont stand for shite,,,,, just just a name on a stamp

the posties shoud do a 8 hour job PLUS lunch and not be allowed to leave untill its done

all that work and finish bollox is wrong

the only people who have less reason to moan is the wankers on the underground network

no offence to you but i got afew mates who work for royal mail and they only done it when they left the army to keep there pention scheme and they do it half the time pissed when doing over time,,,,,,,, that they do EVERY DAY

need to be flexable in this world or loose it all,,,,,, the ships sinking so the staff can either help or do what they all do and moan and refuse to help blaming managment

but on a serious note i do understand the stress this is gonna cause and them comments are ment to be constuctive and not personally based at you

i know im gonna get a grilling anyway
Old 23-01-2006, 07:31 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Have to agree about the posties, mine is a joke. Puts cards throught the door to get stuff picked up from the depot. Go there and have been told on numerous occassions he takes it home with him rather than return to the depot! I've had letters delivered 2 weeks after they were sent out, think he only delivers when he can be arsed
Old 23-01-2006, 07:33 PM
DUDE_SWEET_FRST
Advanced PassionFord User

so what happens if the royal mail stop then

how do people post letter / parcels etc
Old 23-01-2006, 07:36 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You've just hit the nail on the head, I work Fukkin hard, we have people who come in to our office on a regular basis, who think the job is piss easy, they normally last a few weeks before the go back to there old job with there tail between there legs, have you ever tried getting up at stupid o'clock, manually sorting upwards of 3000 items (on an easy day) of mail in 2 to 3 hours? then going out in whatever weather, rain, snow, hail? then either walkin or on a bike for a further 3 or 4 hours deliver not just a few crappy letters but boxes upto and above 10Kg?

If your mates are doing what you say then there a bunch of wankers who give people like me who try to do the job properly a bad name, and it's wankers like that who are fukkin up my job.
Old 23-01-2006, 07:36 PM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by b19bal
need to be flexable in this world or loose it all,,,,,, the ships sinking so the staff can either help or do what they all do and moan and refuse to help blaming managment
Alright,

What have you done with Ginge???

Not the sort of thing I expected to hear from you mate
Old 23-01-2006, 07:37 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DUDE_SWEET_FRST

You tell me mate, evidently we are all a bunch of wankers who don't give a fuck!!
Old 23-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by GTechR
You've just hit the nail on the head, I work Fukkin hard, we have people who come in to our office on a regular basis, who think the job is piss easy, they normally last a few weeks before the go back to there old job with there tail between there legs, have you ever tried getting up at stupid o'clock, manually sorting upwards of 3000 items (on an easy day) of mail in 2 to 3 hours? then going out in whatever weather, rain, snow, hail? then either walkin or on a bike for a further 3 or 4 hours deliver not just a few crappy letters but boxes upto and above 10Kg?

If your mates are doing what you say then there a bunch of wankers who give people like me who try to do the job properly a bad name, and it's wankers like that who are fukkin up my job.
I agree with you mate been there done that...moved over to processing section for a while to get more overtime...nice early mornings...5am start this week...lovely! gonna go back to being a postie soon I think...ppl think it's so easy
Old 23-01-2006, 07:46 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by DUDE_SWEET_FRST

You tell me mate, evidently we are all a bunch of wankers who don't give a fuck!!
Sorry that was a tad out of order... Royal mail wont go under... lets face it would you wanne be the PM who let a national institution fold? The government will bail out the company, they have too, the problem is what happens after that, as said above, people have a bad attitude towards us now, we are looked down on by most people, even tho Most of us work our bollox off, but how can people Pay a Mortgage and feed a Family on 20hrs? So those of us that do work hard are gonna go, because royal mail in there wisdom think the way to progress is to go back in time 20 years and have people in the 60's or Mums delivering the mail...

And anyone in any job is not gonna do 60 hours of work in 40 hours and get nothing extra...

As I say you think it's bad now, it's gonna get a whole lot worse
Old 23-01-2006, 07:50 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dont get me wrong, I feel sorry for the people that do do there jobs well, but there are too many wankers screwing it up. There was a story not long ago of a guy burying the mail instead of delivering it. My mates postie used to leave the letters at the foot of his stair!
Old 23-01-2006, 07:54 PM
m-dtech
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

i dissagree with the last post... (no pun intended!!!)

they have allowed privatisation so i in the next few years it will be survival of the fittest !
Old 23-01-2006, 07:58 PM
chris-m
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

sorry for anyone to lose their job, but shakeups are needed. i've had a mongoose exhaust "go missing" from parcel force, with no explanation of how or record of where it went, and a 5 month wait/hassles to get back minimal compensation, plus dozens of entry forms for events sent to us and never received every year.
We also receive mail for 2 other addresses on our street regularly, lady round the corner delivers our mail more often than the official postie.
Old 23-01-2006, 07:59 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

What gets me thou is how can the other companies such as TNT, Parcel Force, USP and all that manage to stay afloat (in many cases make HUGE profits) and the royal mail fails so miserably at it when it has the majority of the market.

The mind boggles.
Old 23-01-2006, 08:01 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

i seriosuly rate royal mail, they are one of my favourite companies (how sad is that )

i send on average 5 special deliveries of cash a week, NOT ONE has gone missing and every return delivery has arrived
Old 23-01-2006, 08:01 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by EIL132
Dont get me wrong, I feel sorry for the people that do do there jobs well, but there are too many wankers screwing it up. There was a story not long ago of a guy burying the mail instead of delivering it. My mates postie used to leave the letters at the foot of his stair!
Every company has Tossers mate, it's just that unfortunatly we are in the public eye...
Old 23-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by TOTB-3
sorry for anyone to lose their job, but shakeups are needed. i've had a mongoose exhaust "go missing" from parcel force, with no explanation of how or record of where it went, and a 5 month wait/hassles to get back minimal compensation, plus dozens of entry forms for events sent to us and never received every year.
We also receive mail for 2 other addresses on our street regularly, lady round the corner delivers our mail more often than the official postie.
Don't take this as a Racist comment but in the UK your RM is a joke, soooooo many foreign workers who don't know where they live let alone can be a postie!! we get so much mail sent to us thats not even close! we Had sum Special Deliverys (chucked in a container) sent to us at Xmas....it was with 3rd class Mailsort they were for Sheffield! not Guernsey, Channel Islands....close I suppose
Old 23-01-2006, 08:04 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

How the fook can they be broke

They wanted £77 to post 4 tyres Parcelforce 48hr Parcel2go wanted £20
Old 23-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

sorry mate but there LOADS of lazy staff at royal mail that have been there for years

i know of a team in 1 depot that do each others work during the days when they need time off and when the managment ask questions the say " hes just popped out" bell the other person and he comes to work

theres a major problem there and there loosing money cause you all get payed too much money,,,,,,, sorry but you clear more money that school teachers and firemen

your wages are on par with the police,,,,,, and you get healty pensions,,,,,, that all had to be stopped as you lot aint doing a good job and so there loosing money

there wasting cash so there budgets dont drop the following year and there loosing money cause they government wont say " fuck em, let em burn" and they know it

when you got the pub theres always 1 bloke in there that works for royal mail complaining how bad the cash is,,,,,,,,even though hes in the pub every night or has a morgage to pay ect

you get payed well , work hard but you are loosing cash,,,,,,, get a pay decrease and save you job,,,,,,,, everyone takes a 5 % cut and overtime paied per letter rather than time and then you might have a chance

i private company woul just find reasons to sack as many as poss to make cash,,,,,,,, and they will

been proven in all the private sectors that theres cash to be made,,,,,
Old 23-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

The Post has been going down hill over the years I can remember when u used to be able to guarantee a first class letter would be there next day. Not anymore

Though i thought i seen somewhere that they diped into profit last qtr agian?
Old 23-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Spax
PassionFord Post Troll

Suppose i'm just lucky were a private company now......
Old 23-01-2006, 08:08 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by m-dtech
i dissagree with the last post... (no pun intended!!!)

they have allowed privatisation so i in the next few years it will be survival of the fittest !
Wrong, wrong wrong... no they Deregulated the postal service... this is totally different, we are duty bound to deliver all mail.. (other companies are allowed to choose who and when) we have to deliver over 6 days, other companies dont, we have to give X% of our profit to the government, other companies dont.

If Royal mail was a Private Company it would be a different matter, but we are regulated by Postcom and other companies such as TNT and DHL (owned by and heavily funded by the German Government) are far less regulated...
Old 23-01-2006, 08:09 PM
m-dtech
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ Fordsport
What gets me thou is how can the other companies such as TNT, Parcel Force, USP and all that manage to stay afloat (in many cases make HUGE profits) and the royal mail fails so miserably at it when it has the majority of the market.

The mind boggles.
i use ups because i know the parcel will be delivered and i pay more for that service.
Old 23-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

they got a few problems,,, manangement in ivory towers,,,, i fucking hate them

there prices are bollox for what the offer

this is goverment funded service and the charge MORE than private companys

when BT was fucking about they got competition and then we discovered just how much they was ripping us off by,,,,,,,,, now they changed cause the was sinking

royal mail SHOULD be tenderd out to private companys but have REAL mangement,,,,, thats normal minded people who understand the business and customers rather than the ones who wanna have a flash job title for the aplication at the health club

1st class letters should be just that,,,,, they should be tracked too and made a note of where they all went missis to find the problem depots

close the lazy ones down, tender them ones out to private managment companys to see what happens and then go from there,,,,, nothing to loose and a contract like royal mail im sure tnt ect would love to have even at a loss JUST to get a nicer professional image imo
Old 23-01-2006, 08:19 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

theres a major problem there and there loosing money cause you all get payed too much money,,,,,,, sorry but you clear more money that school teachers and firemen
WHAT? what fukkin planet are you on? I dont know any Firemen, Coppers or teachers that are on £300 a week

your wages are on par with the police,,,,,, and you get healty pensions,,,,,, that all had to be stopped as you lot aint doing a good job and so there loosing money
There is a £40million defacite in our pension, there is good chance we are gonna loose it.

when you got the pub theres always 1 bloke in there that works for royal mail complaining how bad the cash is,,,,,,,,even though hes in the pub every night or has a morgage to pay ect
I cant remember the last time I went out at the weekend, I cant afford too...

you get payed well , work hard but you are loosing cash,,,,,,, get a pay decrease and save you job,,,,,,,, everyone takes a 5 % cut and overtime paied per letter rather than time and then you might have a chance
yup thats what there gonna do, there gonna drop 80% of the delivery staffs hours and the other 20% are gonna have to do 2 peoples job and get paid for 1 persons? would you?

i private company woul just find reasons to sack as many as poss to make cash,,,,,,,, and they will
We aint private tho, if we where, then your wanker mates and the tosser in the pub would be fukked of and I wouldn't be worried about my Families future...

been proven in all the private sectors that theres cash to be made,,,,,
Yup if your allowed to fight on an even playing field...
Old 23-01-2006, 08:22 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ Fordsport

The mind boggles.
ParcelForce is Royalmail... TNT, UPS... private companies allowed to do what they want with there profit, and also are not regulated to deliver all mail, they can choose to only deliver Profitable mail.
Old 23-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

300 quid a week,,,,,,, what hours is that for again ????

thats TAKE HOME TOO

that sounds a nice income tbh for a job with no experience required as training is given

this is not ment to offend you but to tell you the problem

i work at fords,,,,, i can see the problem there and i can not change it,, i can work harder and make more money BUT im still gponna be working harder for no reason other than to carry another person/people to keep them in a job,,,,,,, as such ive made a hard desision to leave and move else where and try to make a difference there or if not atleast not carry people

tendering out private contracts are only good IF there properly regulated and they watch the spending

loads of management these days cut corners for there bonus benifits adn then when there under budget then spunk it all on over time ect as they dotn get much extra for being under and just makes next year harder

not to mention the managment that work for companys for 18 months killing em of and raping em with there " power managment" plans to jump ship before there exposed as being as shite as they are

my opinion is all managment should be on 1 year contracts,,,,, dont do the job then good bye find another mug to scam

ive worked with soo much shite managment that it made it hard for me to go to work each day

my job at fords there a class manager whos the fucking don at makign cahs ect but no matter what he does and how well he performs other places just eat into the profits,,,,,,,,, he dont mind as hes still getting 80k a year,,,,,,, but i aint and wont dont like working hard to see my team made redundant caused by leaches from other branches/departments

as i said before this aint a dig at you but you know there are staff at your place that couldnt get a job at mcdonalds but get 300 quid a week for a piss easy job

as for why you lot dont get paid monthly i dont know,,,, just that alone saves money
Old 23-01-2006, 08:39 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

300 quid a week,,,,,,, what hours is that for again ????

thats TAKE HOME TOO

that sounds a nice income tbh for a job with no experience required as training is given
No thats top line, and as I said thats way less than a Teacher, Copper, fireman, and Most of my mates that work at my local ford garage ( I used to work there so I do know)

As for no Experience, again bollox, I had to start workin part time and work my way upto a full time job, I didn't just walk into it.

And as I say mate, dont say it's easy till you've tried it.
Old 23-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i ment a job that dont ahve a proper training requirment

you can walk in that job and get training for 2 weeks and be doing it and learn as you go along

not like a teacher where you need training before

anyone can work doing that job,,,, not everyone has the paitence to learn

i cant belive you get that low a wage , work on the underground,, they pay just under 30k a year and thats the easiest job in the world
Old 23-01-2006, 08:49 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

its a dog eat dog world, if you cant cut it then move over and let someone else try.im sure carrying a sack off letters and sticking them through a letterbox is terribly hard work,but im one of many whos been pissed of by the royal mail and parcel farce.they lost my petrol tank ffs! how do you lose something that size? if they tryed delivering the post instead of dumping it in rivers etc they might have more sympathy.i work 12 hour shifts in the building trade and if i dont perform then im out on my ear,thats life. do you think they will lose all the redundancy notices?
Old 23-01-2006, 08:52 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i ment a job that dont ahve a proper training requirment

you can walk in that job and get training for 2 weeks and be doing it and learn as you go along

not like a teacher where you need training before

anyone can work doing that job,,,, not everyone has the paitence to learn

i cant belive you get that low a wage , work on the underground,, they pay just under 30k a year and thats the easiest job in the world
I appreciate what your saying mate about the training, thats why there are so many numpties in the job...

And as for the wages? why would I Lie? Dont get me wrong where I live in Lincoln it's an above average wage... but in the 5 years i've been a posty, i've only ever taken above £300 once, the week before Xmas LAST YEAR!!!
Old 23-01-2006, 09:08 PM
GTechR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ohh forgot too mention... Dont blame the management? it's the workers fault?

That'll be why they awarded themselves a £10m bonus each last year then
Old 23-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Ohh forgot too mention... Dont blame the management? it's the workers fault?

That'll be why they awarded themselves a £10m bonus each last year then

no thats the reason why i think there should be a limit on bonuses people can be paied !!!!!!

thats also why i think that managment should all have 1 year contracts with no job security and if theres a lost of staff of more that 20% then the management should get a 20% pay decrease !!!!

i hate white collar ivory tower wankers
Old 23-01-2006, 09:40 PM
andyhardy
Advanced PassionFord User

When I left University about 5 years ago I worked in the sorting office in Whitechapel for about 4 weeks (just temping to get some money in whilst looking for something in the IT industry).

I was only on about £6.50 an hour and from what I could gather that wasn't much less than the permanent staff doing the same job. Having said that I did see alot of lazy bastard perm. staff working in the sorting room as well (but I guess that's what you get when you're not paid much and get used to a repetitive job).

The trouble with the business is that as Gary has said - they have to deliver all of the letters, cheques etc. for only 28p a time first class which is almost certainly going to make them a loss and so when trying to make a profit on the profitable parcels they're having to make up for the losses as well making them un-competitive against other courier companies! This is only too obvious when you go to somewhere like Initial Citylink and can post something recorded next day delivery (with internet tracking number and insurance up to x amount of £100) for just £15 for anything up to 10Kg!

The government needs to stop mucking about and make a decision, either fully privatise the postal service (and allow for competition to decide on the price and quality of service provided) or to take it back as a government run organisation (which obviously Gordon Brown would rather not do as he's got a big enough headache with the amount of over-spend that's been going on in his time in charge of the coffers anyway).

It's interesting that the American's have kept their US postal service as a government run organisation rather than going private with it. I think perhaps they learnt with public services that they rarely make money (do a search for the history of Amtrak if you want some proof behind that).

Cheers,

Andy
Old 23-01-2006, 09:42 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

has anyone done any analysis to determine which bits are making a loss?

general royal mail isn't cut out for parcels IMO. what they are proposing in terms of size allowances etc seems more straightforward. as it will mean its easier for the regular posties to deliver.

what's an arse is the price of sending a letter.... what is it now? 30p? ok fair do's id pay 50p for the few cards etc I send...

but there is no way on earth that the junk mail I receive through the door everyday costs anywhere near 25p or whatever 2nd class is.
is this keeping general throughput of mail keeping the overheads down on the rest of the mail or is it flooding the system?

any ideas what the deal is with the TNT mail branded stuff that comes through delivered by the postie is?

if they did do away with the Royal mail - what are they going to do? do it on commission for normal letters by TNT etc? how do other countries work?

you want to try losing stuff or getting it urgently with UPS or DHL absolute nightmare!!

hope royal mail sorts itself out tbh - it sounds like the typical government been privatised terribly with old skool values and waste written all over it.
be a shame to lose it. i've always had a good service from the posties and post office to be honest.

actually I suppose the actual post office counters office come under the same don't they? so they could potentially dissapear.

ginge the job is a full time job. ok some people if they have a light round etc could take advantage finish go for a break etc...
but also... would I fook be happy with using my own transport if my walk was a way from the depot. carrying and maulin all that round whatever the weather.
fireman are the best pools/cards players ever... they do a great job and are no doubt underpaid in london compared to other jobs... but they do fook all real working hours they are paid on risk.

posties are paid on unsociable hours, bad weather, walking risk and responsibility of the job.

why does your boss get more than you when he seems to do less? cos he has the responsibilty for your work aswell.

whats the deal with london tube workers? why are they hard done to?
Old 23-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

he deal with london tube workers? why are they hard done to?

that i aint got a clue about

as for royal mail,,,,, im sorry but the staff are actually doing MORE work now than before, charge more than before BUT they are loosing money,,,,,, why is that,,,,,,, theres loads of over time being paied, why soo much, there items i would look at

how many staff ion the post office as unflexable,,,,,,,,, purely wanna do "there" job and not others,,,,,,, how much of that goes on

sorry but as i said ive met loads of people who work for the post office and alot of my mates have sugested i do the post office as the money is good and aslong as you do your job and dont hang about you can do overtime and get a decent income

im not talking about 2 mates either,,,,,, i must know personally over 10 people who work for the post office,,,,,,,,, they do work hard but they DO get paid well for it and to go to another job they wouldnt get paied the same

30p for a letter that not all get there, its government funded too remember

the transport system is another thing thats fucked up by bad management too

WE are just getting ripped off,,,,,,, it needs to be regulated with proper options available

british gas where ripping us off, so was the electric board ect, they all got shake ups and now british gas respect there customers, so to BT ect where before they DID suck and just charged and never gave a shite

privitising is about tendering it out,,,,,,, you ask companys what they think its gonna cost to run and you set penaltys if there not made,,,,, thats where they make the money back

how do you think parking wardens work ??????

the only thing that i fear is the constant price hikes like the transport system does as thats bollocks and should not be allowed,,,,,,, but it happens
Old 23-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Anonymous
Banned

British Gas and BT respect their customers?

You are having a laugh aren't you?

The ONLY people companies like these have any time for is their shareholders
Old 23-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Alan Ramsay
British Gas and BT respect their customers?

You are having a laugh aren't you?

The ONLY people companies like these have any time for is their shareholders
no they lost there customers and so they had tio LOWER there prices to get em back and now they give better customer service,,, you cant fault em compared to before,,,,,,,,, seriously have you ever delt with em before they had competition forced on em

Quick Reply: The Death of Royal Mail